Post-Game Talk: Game 2 - The B's shuffle out of Buffalo with a 4-0 win.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Coach plays the hottest goalie. Halak is a good problem to have...

Exactly.
Didn’t Khodobin play 3-4 in a row early last year when Tuukka was struggling?

Plus, water tends to seek its level. Tuukka will be fine and Halak is perfect for what this team needs.

Last edited:

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Marchand was very very good. Bergeron shook off a bit more of the rust and Pasta looked very busy (That dive to block the puck in the first period summarised his effort). The second line looked much improved on the first night also.

Great shutout from Halak and great to see Rask come straight on after to congratulate him. The sports I grew up watching there was never such a thing as someone owning a starting spot. Every player in every position had to earn their starting spot week in week out regardless of their reputation or their salary. So I find the whole discussion around Rask and hearing some people say he is the number one goalie no matter how he plays very alien. As strange as I find it though I have come to accept that that's just the way it is in hockey.

All I'll say is I reckon both those guys are going to push each other all the way this year and the team will benefit hugely as a result. If Halak keeps up this form then Rask will have to rediscover his at which point we are going to be very lucky to have them both.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Do you guys know that ryan donato has played 14 nhl games and he has 10 points. I see something special here...

Still needs to get stronger, be better postionally, and defensively. His IQ is very good in the offensive zone though and that’s hard to teach. He could be a special player or an untrustworthy offensive guy. It’s all in Donato to take those steps.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Yeah I’m still not crazy about Kurlay on the third line. I’m wondering if this would even be a better match

Heinen-Nordstrom-Bjork
Wagner/Accairi-Kurlay-Backes

Hopefully JFK tears up the AHL in the first few weeks and gets called up for that spot.

Reactions: veganbruin

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I liked the Heinen/Bjork combination. They are both still solid defensively but bring aspects of speed/skill you need on your third line. Donato fits in better with DeBrusk/Krejci as well. But 3C is a glaring hole right now. They'll need to make a move eventually.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Donato
Heinen-????-Bjork
Nordstrom/Acciari/Wagner-Kuraly-Backes

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
hasnt wagner played some center? i think he deserves a shot in the 3c. keep nordstrom-kuraly-backes on the 4th.. nordstrom was a pitbull tonight.. looks like he has some sub par hands. but the guy is quick and aggressive and was a huge pest on the forecheck .. liked his game

Reactions: FanSince72

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I liked the Heinen/Bjork combination. They are both still solid defensively but bring aspects of speed/skill you need on your third line. Donato fits in better with DeBrusk/Krejci as well. But 3C is a glaring hole right now. They'll need to make a move eventually.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Donato
Heinen-????-Bjork
Nordstrom/Acciari/Wagner-Kuraly-Backes

I did too. I also like that both are fairly comfortable on their off-wing, so when they get criss-crossed (it's inevitable) in the defensive zone doesn't matter as much which one is on the left and which one is on the right.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
hasnt wagner played some center? i think he deserves a shot in the 3c. keep nordstrom-kuraly-backes on the 4th.. nordstrom was a pitbull tonight.. looks like he has some sub par hands. but the guy is quick and aggressive and was a huge pest on the forecheck .. liked his game

Look at it this way, they have 5 options for that 3rd line C spot on the current roster.

Acciari
Backes
Kuraly
Wagner
Nordstrom

Of the 5, Backes is my first choice but Cassidy isn't going there.

Of the remaining 4, Wagner would be my next choice. He had a stretch in Anaheim last year when both Kesler and Getzlaf were out and prior to them bringing in Henrique where he posted 13 points in 20 games playing more minutes with better players. He's got the most offensive skill of the remaining 4 guys.

By comparison, Sean Kuraly had essentially the same amount of points last year in almost a full season.

Certainly Wagner isn't an ideal 3rd line C, but he might be their best option.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Good game by the B's.
Hopefully they roll with Halak and he gets hot like Thomas did in 2011.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
As the 3C slot gets muddled, I'd eventually like to see Donato given a shot there. Once he improves on his defensive game he'd be a likely choice, having played the position all of last year at Harvard and in the Olympics.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Yeah I’m still not crazy about Kurlay on the third line. I’m wondering if this would even be a better match

Heinen-Nordstrom-Bjork
Wagner/Accairi-Kurlay-Backes

Hopefully JFK tears up the AHL in the first few weeks and gets called up for that spot.

I think Sweeney/Cassidy was hoping one of Frederic, JFK or Studnicka would outright win the 3rd line in training camp. When non of them excelled he is hopefully looking at plan B, whatever that might be because Kuraly is not likely a long term fit at 3c. Hopefully one of the two C's in Providence light it up in the first ten games or so and get another chance

Reactions: wintersej

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Rask didn't even make a single save last night. Sickening.

In all seriousness glad to see the team bounce back. The game against Wash was so depressing I didn't even wanna think about hockey till they had a chance for a little bit of redemption.

Onto Ottawa!

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Backes should be the number 3 center.
Kuraly has no business being in the top 9.

Also this was mentioned in another thread, but it makes a world of difference when our goalie (Halak) can handle the puck behind the net

Reactions: Mainehockey33

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I did too. I also like that both are fairly comfortable on their off-wing, so when they get criss-crossed (it's inevitable) in the defensive zone doesn't matter as much which one is on the left and which one is on the right.
Great great point

They were very good early on especially Bjork then I think lack of game conditioning caught up with him

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I have been quite impressed by Nordstrom. He’s a little slow to my eye, but could he potentially be tried in that 3C role as well?

Moore has been ugly. Not going to lie, when Krug is back, he sits over Gryz and it’s not that close.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Was at the Pats game last night. DVR’d game and will watch it later. When Lou texted me and said Bjork and Heinen were together, I was pretty excited about it. Both of them can play in all 3 zones. Heinen is more of a passer and Bjork has better wheels and shot.

I can see them meshing well, provided they get a center that works. Right now, like you, I would like to see Backes there, but apparently that’s not going to happen.

I’m hoping that one of Frederic or JFK tears it up in the AHL and gets another shot at that position.

Last edited:
Reactions: LouJersey

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I have been quite impressed by Nordstrom. He’s a little slow to my eye, but could he potentially be tried in that 3C role as well?

Moore has been ugly. Not going to lie, when Krug is back, he sits over Gryz and it’s not that close.

Really? I thought Moore was the only Bruin that showed up to play on Wednesday. After I watch the BUF game, I could change my mind, but based on the preseason and Caps game, we are seeing something very different.

Reactions: FanSince72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->