GDT: Game #2 Sharks vs Ducks - 7:30 PM PDT CSN-CA

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
It is humorous how comparisons to Kennedy are derided. Kennedy has had a pretty good career. Nieto would be fortunate to follow that path.

I was referring to this...

"...he overshoots a la kennedy."

I don't see that at all. Kennedy has an excellent shot, but he takes a lot of shots from low scoring areas. I remember several occasions of him shooting from the goal line (without looking up) or spinning around from the point to shoot into a crowd of people. That's all I was referring to.

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
Nieto is not a scorer. Never has been. Never in college. Never in the minors. Never in the NHL. Never scored 20 goals at any level.

He will be someone the Sharks will looks to move or let leave given that there are more talented players in the system.
Well said. He has speed the team prior lacked. His goals were because he drove the net. Now we have fast players with better hands. He's a bubble player.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I was referring to this...

"...he overshoots a la kennedy."

I don't see that at all. Kennedy has an excellent shot, but he takes a lot of shots from low scoring areas. I remember several occasions of him shooting from the goal line (without looking up) or spinning around from the point to shoot into a crowd of people. That's all I was referring to.

I wasn't referring to you in person.

Just reflecting the notion that Kennedy is this lousy hockey player, when in fact he has had a fairly decent career.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
In re-watching this game, I noticed the poise in Jones' game. No wasted movements. Staying clam under pressure. Irbe, Shields, Nabokov and Niemi have all been that goalie that makes fans nervous. Great but nervous.
It's bearing out that Jones has that "thing" we all wanted and I credit DW for making this move, first rounder or not.
This is exciting.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
In re-watching this game, I noticed the poise in Jones' game. No wasted movements. Staying clam under pressure. Irbe, Shields, Nabokov and Niemi have all been that goalie that makes fans nervous. Great but nervous.
It's bearing out that Jones has that "thing" we all wanted and I credit DW for making this move, first rounder or not.
This is exciting.

It was a gamble for sure, but based on what they saw I'd say it was calculated. He still hasn't experienced a full season playing but I'm hopefully optimistic.

Devil's fans may be able to comment on what Deboer did in terms of goalie rotation.

PS I agree that is is nice to have a goalie who has that cool calm collected style. I can't remember the last time I felt comfortable with a goalie for the Sharks - I always got that impending doom feeling with Niemi. Same with Nabby in the playoffs. Honestly, if Jones works out and potentially exceeds expectations it will be a great/fun year.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Sure, decent career. Doesn't change the fact that he was **** on toast while with the Sharks.

Wasn't Kennedy injured most of the time when he was on the Sharks? He looked good in a bottom six role for a few games, then was injured, then played a few more, then was a "healthy" scratch, and the pattern continued until some younger, cheaper players forced him out.

He was a worthwhile gamble, considering how bad the bottom six was for the Sharks during that time. It is a shame too many of these gambles haven't really worked out.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Kennedy was hurt and also sick quite a bit. Hes not a bad player, its just harder for bottom 6ers to catch on later in their careers with how teams go younger on the bottom lines.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It was a gamble for sure, but based on what they saw I'd say it was calculated. He still hasn't experienced a full season playing but I'm hopefully optimistic.

Devil's fans may be able to comment on what Deboer did in terms of goalie rotation.

PS I agree that is is nice to have a goalie who has that cool calm collected style. I can't remember the last time I felt comfortable with a goalie for the Sharks - I always got that impending doom feeling with Niemi. Same with Nabby in the playoffs. Honestly, if Jones works out and potentially exceeds expectations it will be a great/fun year.

Well the goalie situation in new jersey was a pretty touchy subject for any coach. He had a future hall of fame goalie who is argued as the best goalie of all time. Brodeur was clearly at the end of his career, but he was still a good goalie. But as with any aging vet like that especially one that has been as loyal as brodeur was to the devils you try not to step on there toes to make them upset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad