GDT: Game 2: Sharks vs. Avs 7:00pm NBCSCA Los Tiburones

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
You know, the good news/bad news here is that they played two of the best teams in the league and actually sorta looked okay? Sorta. If Blackwood is this good and the team competes this hard all year, we ain’t getting Celebrini. I think we’ll do a lot better against mid-tiered teams.
The team competed (for the most part) well against top teams last season, but they're intensity would fall against the mid to lower teams.

Reactions: Sandisfan

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
How? His got less finish than Noah Gregor.

It would be more likely he goes into the net rather than the puck.
Now now, he has scored at a 20 goal pace multiple times in his career. So assuming it's *everything else* that keeps him from being any good, the shootout at least gets rid of the *everything else* lol

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
This game showed the compete that MGGM has been creating. The defense, which no one believed in, did a fabulous job. Our forwards backchecked and used each other out of the zone. As a team, this was a stupendous performance. As a team, for the team.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
This game showed the compete that MGGM has been creating. The defense, which no one believed in, did a fabulous job. Our forwards backchecked and used each other out of the zone. As a team, this was a stupendous performance. As a team, for the team.
eh. they were watchable, but it was mostly luck that this wasn't a 4 or 5-1 game going into the 3rd.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Blackwood was amazing. And while he got some luck with posts and a crossbar, this wasn’t a volume shooting offensive performance from the Avs where everything was shot into his crest; he made some absolutely stunning saves. He single handedly made this game much more entertaining than it had any business being.

I thought Bordeleau had a good game; showed more motor and aggressiveness than I expected; had a couple rookie mistakes to clean up.

I know Benning gets lambasted ‘round here (not entirely unwarranted) but he was very good tonight. Frankly, if he was on that contract on a much better team they’d probably be really happy with him. Who am I kidding, he’s Matt Benning and destined to be any fanbase’s whipping boy.

Didn’t love Eklund’s performance tonight. Outside of a few handy plays around the net he didn’t leave much of a mark on the game. I can see why the org hasn’t rushed him to the show; as elusive as he can be he still gets pushed around a lot.

Sharks power play was absolutely impotent. Ima call it now: five forwards is going to be a failed experiment with a quickness; I absolutely won’t be surprised if the give up more then they get.

Zadina had some real nice moments; coulda had a few points with a couple of bounces.

Not that it’s a surprise but this game tells me it’s gonna be a real real long season; with most of it spent in the Sharks end. Two games in and it could not be any clearer how much the team depended on Karlsson to push the puck up the ice and generate offense. Anyone hoping/worried trading Karlsson was addition by subtraction should see now it was just subtraction by subtraction; however you are hoping this season :laugh:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Lol, this team doesn't look good and we didn't compete

We were outshot by 31, that's an entire night worth of work for most goalies in the league on a typical basis, after the miracle plays by Benning and Rutta in the 1st period the only reason we didn't lose by 5 goals is because Blackwood transcended corporeal form for 58 minutes

This was actually a really depressing loss, it would have been nice for the room to have a feel good story after getting shelled but coming out with a miracle win but Luke Kunin never developed object permanence so now Blackwood's debut is forever stained

On the plus side the morale must be incredibly low so we're going to absolutely crash and burn in the standings for the rest of this homestand, we're gonna have amazing lotto odds

Last edited:

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Fantastic performance by Blackwood...Bordeleau looks better as well. Eklund looks fine, but would like to see him make more of an impact as the season continues. A few vets like Sturm and Barabanov look good as well...Hertl is checked out. But the Sharks definitely have a handful of big time tank commanders who have been awful including Hoffman, Kunin, Ferraro, Burroughs, etc. Yikes...

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
watched this game, great game all the way through, forgot about my bolts loss tbh it was that good.

dont play Rutta on the PP. Not his style.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Lol, this team doesn't look good and we didn't compete

We were outshot by 31, that's an entire night worth of work for most goalies in the league on a typical basis, after the miracle plays by Benning and Rutta in the 1st period the only reason we didn't lose by 5 goals is because Blackwood transcended corporeal form for 58 minutes

This was actually a really depressing loss, it would have been nice for the room to have a feel good story after getting shelled but coming out with a miracle win but Luke Kunin never developed object permanence so now Blackwood's debut is forever stained

On the plus side the morale must be incredibly low so we're going to absolutely crash and burn in the standings for the rest of this homestand, we're gonna have amazing lotto odds
Preach it!

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I'm try to wrap my head around that Jeff Hackett win. 57nsavea and you won 7-2 like wtf was the other team doing

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Defenseman don't play on the PP for fear of shorthanded chances. They're the experts at managing offense from the point. Only the most elite forwards can recreate that.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
View attachment 753110

This is perplexing. How can you have more FO wins, way less giveaways, more takeaway, even more hits and trail way behind in shots on goal 47-20??
A lot of it has to do with being dominated in terms of puck possession.

The more you possess the puck, the more giveaways you'll have because, well, you have more opportunities to try shit. (It's similar to why guys like Jumbo always were high up in giveaways; it's not a black mark against them, it's just that they're creative players with the puck on their stick a lot.)

And then the more you're chasing the puck, the more likely you are to get takeaways--simply based on opportunity. Same thing goes for hits. You're chasing the other team around so often, you have more chances to throw hits because you don't have the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad