GDT: Game 2: Sharks vs. Avs 7:00pm NBCSCA Los Tiburones

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
I think this will be even worse matchup for us than Vegas. Colorado IS so good.
7-3 for Colorado.

I agree, in game 1 the Sharks had extra energy due to facing their rival Vegas and it being opening night with a fresh new roster. All those factors are now (effectively) gone.

I wouldn't be surprised by any final score. 11-0? Sure.

Reactions: Sandisfan

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020

@mogambomoroo even with the captain out for the season?

I agree, in game 1 the Sharks had extra energy due to facing their rival Vegas and it being opening night with a fresh new roster. All those factors are now (effectively) gone.

I wouldn't be surprised by any final score. 11-0? Sure.
Church Hill pretty much answered what I thought. I think Sharks at least try make it tighter against Vegas but Colorado will be a stranger beast. It will be fun to see Makar/MacKinnon.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Thrun scratched for Knyzhov

Yep, THAT was the problem, lol

SNOG 5-2 Avs

Hertl, Sturm

MacKinnon, Rantanen, Johansen, Makar, Drouin

• Wow

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I would still say Burroughs, but it takes a gravitas that Quinn lacks to scratch a vet or a recent FA signing over a rookie

Getting closer, lol

I see it as I don’t see the rush to force the super young kids like Thrun into top 4 minutes. There’s a lot of kids that we will be taking a look at during the season so I expect a lot of these decisions.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I like the look of these lines a bit better. I’d almost switch Kunin and Zetterlund if Zetterlund has a game like he did in game one. Barabanov needs to be better this game as well as he was damn near invisible in the first game

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I see it as I don’t see the rush to force the super young kids like Thrun into top 4 minutes. There’s a lot of kids that we will be taking a look at during the season so I expect a lot of these decisions.
I would agree if he hadn't been thrust into that position in the first place, I think Quinn just sees he needs to make lineup changes in response to his teams terrible performance and the easiest thing to do is to scratch the underperforming rookie

Thrun isn't really NHL ready at this point, but that means he shouldn't have made the team, instead he was granted the job and got immediately punished for being put in a position he wasn't ready for, not great work by the FO and coaching staff

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I would agree if he hadn't been thrust into that position in the first place, I think Quinn just sees he needs to make lineup changes in response to his teams terrible performance and the easiest thing to do is to scratch the underperforming rookie

Thrun isn't really NHL ready at this point, but that means he shouldn't have made the team, instead he was granted the job and got immediately punished for being put in a position he wasn't ready for, not great work by the FO and coaching staff
Really, it all comes down to needing to get Knyzhov some game time, and who's going to sit for that to happen right now, a guy with nine NHL games of experience or veterans like Vlasic or Ferraro?

I would personally rather see both Thrun AND Knyzhov, because we're going to lose a ton of games either way, but I'm not banking on a Ferraro or Vlasic healthy scratch anytime soon.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

Eh I don’t mind it, this is a good year to get those bumps and bruises. Whether he’s on the big club or in the AHL he’s gonna have his moments both good and bad. Letting him cut his teeth against legit NHL talent instead of the fringe guys in the A may help speed up the process.

Really, it all comes down to needing to get Knyzhov some game time, and who's going to sit for that to happen right now, a guy with nine NHL games of experience or veterans like Vlasic or Ferraro?

I would personally rather see both Thrun AND Knyzhov, because we're going to lose a ton of games either way, but I'm not banking on a Ferraro or Vlasic healthy scratch anytime soon.
I do think the plan is to sit the youngsters early in the season and vets later on when they’re gassed. Right now the older guys are fresh. Let em sit in March and April when they’re breaking down.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

I agree, and that's why I don't think there's anything special about Quinn as a coach

Vlasic should have been getting regular healthy scratches for years now, but his status as a long tenured vet supercedes any authority to sit him for poor performances, Ferraro too as he has somehow been made a "leader" on this v team

Instead DQ is perfectly content to yo-yo a 22 year old and potentially chip away at his confidence, it's a terrible idea for a team we all know is not going to be competitive

So he's either delusional enough to think we can win and is willing to jeopthe development of young players to do so, or he doesn't know/doesn't care about his young players' well being in this losing environment and would rather focus on the optics of "trying to win"

Either way it's a bad sign
Hoffman and Bordeleau together alongside him gives me the heebie-jeebies for Eklund.
As is this

Eh I don’t mind it, this is a good year to get those bumps and bruises. Whether he’s on the big club or in the AHL he’s gonna have his moments both good and bad. Letting him cut his teeth against legit NHL talent instead of the fringe guys in the A may help speed up the process.
It certainly may, but in that case let him play, I fear sitting him at the litteral first opportunity may mess with his head and hurt his confidence, Quinn has never been known to be nurturing to young players and he's not showing that he's learned any lessons from the past

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I agree, and that's why I don't think there's anything special about Quinn as a coach

Vlasic should have been getting regular healthy scratches for years now, but his status as a long tenured vet supercedes any authority to sit him for poor performances, Ferraro too as he has somehow been made a "leader" on this v team

Instead DQ is perfectly content to yo-yo a 22 year old and potentially chip away at his confidence, it's a terrible idea for a team we all know is not going to be competitive

So he's either delusional enough to think we can win and is willing to jeopthe development of young players to do so, or he doesn't know/doesn't care about his young players' well being in this losing environment and would rather focus on the optics of "trying to win"

Either way it's a bad sign

As is this

It certainly may, but in that case let him play, I fear sitting him at the litteral first opportunity may mess with his head and hurt his confidence, Quinn has never been known to be nurturing to young players and he's not showing that he's learned any lessons from the past
I mean if he can’t handle being benched. Dude has also never played more than what, 35 games in a season? Letting him play, and also letting him watch the game from the press box to get used to the speed may be the best way to keep him engaged through the entire season without being physically and mentally overwhelmed. It’s a marathon.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I mean if he can’t handle being benched. Dude has also never played more than what, 35 games in a season? Letting him play, and also letting him watch the game from the press box to get used to the speed may be the best way to keep him engaged through the entire season without being physically and mentally overwhelmed. It’s a marathon.
I'd sure hope he can handle it, but you never know, some prospects are more fragile than others

It's not so much that I don't trust Thrun to handle it well, I just don't trust Quinn to have made the right decision, I haven't seen anything to make me trust his judgment

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'd sure hope he can handle it, but you never know, some prospects are more fragile than others

It's not so much that I don't trust Thrun to handle it well, I just don't trust Quinn to have made the right decision, I haven't seen anything to make me trust his judgment
Playing thrun against this Colorado team could very well do more damage to his psyche than any benching would.

Reactions: Jargon

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Playing thrun against this Colorado team could very well do more damage to his psyche than any benching would.
Fair, lol, best we can hope is they play with as little effort as Vegas did on Thursday, we might be the other team's "night off" a lot of times this year

Reactions: TheBeard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad