GDT: Game 2: Seattle Kraken @ Nashville Predators, 5:00 p.m. PT/8:00 p.m. ET

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Great to get the first win this early.
The monkey is off their backs, and they can just play hockey now.

Another entertaining game despite the prevent D in the 3rd.

Cannot wait to see this team with Gourde in the lineup.

Still got to get our first home win when the time comes and first home goal and send our fans home happy. Itching for the first home game.

Random question but how much does home field matter in hockey compared to other sports? We seem to have given a good account of ourselves in two away venues that are known for loud fan bases.

I've no doubt Seattle fans will bring the noise similar to the Seahawks, former sonics, sounders etc

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Also that 3rd period felt like the ending of most Seahawks games of the past 10 years before this season. Effin heart attack stuff.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Still got to get our first home win when the time comes and first home goal and send our fans home happy. Itching for the first home game.

Random question but how much does home field matter in hockey compared to other sports? We seem to have given a good account of ourselves in two away venues that are known for loud fan bases.

I've no doubt Seattle fans will bring the noise similar to the Seahawks, former sonics, sounders etc

The home team gets second change after a stoppage in play. That is, the home coach gets to see who the visiting team puts on the ice, and can then decide who to put out. Visiting team puts their fourth line out? Home coach can put the first line out. Visiting coach puts their first line out? Home team can put their checking line out. That's likely more important than any crowd advantage.

Reactions: Scomerica

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Hoping for big leads or ties going into the 3rd in the future. Can't stand the way they turtled the whole period. Very encouraged by the play through 2 games though. Fun team to watch!

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Grubauer is going to take the net and run with it IMO. He could be iffy at times but he is making some huge, timely saves.

I’m not very concerned (yet) about the fact they just sat back. It’s going to take weeks to get things ironed out before I start fully assessing Hakstol’s system. However, it’s not encouraging to hear the words Hakshell, as this could be the “system” they play moving forward.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Finally got to watch the first win in franchis history! :jump:

The guys tried to be more compact defensively and once again came back from being behind early.
It also seems like Wennberg's getting more into it and that 3-2 was a very nice combination of ABB and him.

Anyways, we're now off to Columbus who just ran Arizona out of their building.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Teams definitely have superior possession metrics at home. Home goaltending can often be a bit more volatile (especially since skilled players often make riskier plays at home leading to breakaways and oddman rushes, but also just because of a given goaltender's psyche) and hockey is such a random sport that just sheer offensive luck or lack thereof can outweigh everything else in hockey.

In general though, it does boil down to the coach. Some coaches take full advantage of home ice to control matchups out of faceoffs some coaches don't (or at least don't in the regular season). Maybe Philly fans could give you an opinion of Hakstol's line matching aggressiveness.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Teams definitely have superior possession metrics at home. Home goaltending can often be a bit more volatile (especially since skilled players often make riskier plays at home leading to breakaways and oddman rushes, but also just because of a given goaltender's psyche) and hockey is such a random sport that just sheer offensive luck or lack thereof can outweigh everything else in hockey.

In general though, it does boil down to the coach. Some coaches take full advantage of home ice to control matchups out of faceoffs some coaches don't (or at least don't in the regular season). Maybe Philly fans could give you an opinion of Hakstol's line matching aggressiveness.
Can home fans have an impact if they are loud? Like in the NFL were it can create false starts or football/soccer where it can intimidate teams?

wewantyoursoul

Oct 14, 2021
Happy Valley, OR

Seems like quite a backhanded compliment. Kraken earned that victory...nothing was given to them.

Also love listening to Forslund. Not a life-long hockey fan...more of a last ten years guy. Grew up in Houston and didn't really have a professional team to root for (would never pull for any team from Dallas)...so it's great to have a new team in the region that feels natural to cheer on. One of the things I noticed throughout the preseason and first two games, these guys are going to hit someone. I really like how they're playing so physical and fighting for every puck. Slows the game down a bit, but considering the team that's been assembled, that's probably by design. As for the 3rd period letdown, I have to remind myself that these guys are still learning situational play within the team framework. Individually, these guys have been through everything...but as this particular unit, everything will be new. Should take a month or two of playing together before they start to jell together.

Good, fun win with lots of excitement. A great way to start the season and get (new hockey) fans on board with the team.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Seems like quite a backhanded compliment. Kraken earned that victory...nothing was given to them.

Also love listening to Forslund. Not a life-long hockey fan...more of a last ten years guy. Grew up in Houston and didn't really have a professional team to root for (would never pull for any team from Dallas)...so it's great to have a new team in the region that feels natural to cheer on. One of the things I noticed throughout the preseason and first two games, these guys are going to hit someone. I really like how they're playing so physical and fighting for every puck. Slows the game down a bit, but considering the team that's been assembled, that's probably by design. As for the 3rd period letdown, I have to remind myself that these guys are still learning situational play within the team framework. Individually, these guys have been through everything...but as this particular unit, everything will be new. Should take a month or two of playing together before they start to jell together.

Good, fun win with lots of excitement. A great way to start the season and get (new hockey) fans on board with the team.

The joke is in Nashville having a banner for it. It's been a running joke since they raised a "Regular Season Western Conference Champions" banner a few years ago. People thought it was hilarious since no team had ever done it before, so now their twitter runs out banner raising meme's for anything silly. Like Nickelback or Creed or whatever of those identical bands playing half time, etc.

Welcome to the board by the way.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Can home fans have an impact if they are loud? Like in the NFL were it can create false starts or football/soccer where it can intimidate teams?

Probably doesn't influence the players much -- the sound at ice level ice is buffered by the boards between the players and the crowd, and unlike in football, there's no particular time when you can be loud, like at the snap of the ball when signals are being called. You'd have to be insanely loud, all the time, to have even a small disruptive impact. I mean, the home players love a loud crowd, but then again, so do the visiting players. It makes for a more exciting game, which translates to more energy for both teams.

Where the fans do have an influence, though, across all sports, is on the referees. Several studies have been done, and they've all found that the referees favor the home team, and the bigger/louder the crowd, the larger the influence. Here's one recent link reaffirming these observations yet again:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/sports-soccer-ghost-games-psychology-fans-referee-pandemic

So keep up those "ref you suck" chants -- they probably work better than you realize ;)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Domi with 3 pts, rehabbed earlier than expected.

People here mocked me for wanting him in the expansion draft, huge missed opportunity.

And how do we suppose to know a couple months ago that he would be ready for the start of the season...

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
And how do we suppose to know a couple months ago that he would be ready for the start of the season...
Sometimes life is a gamble....

Might not have been smart to take both Tarasenko and Domi, but Francis should have taken a chance on one or the other. Keep in mind the team basically got nothing from CBJ and still have enough cap space for him even after all of the UFA signings.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Sometimes life is a gamble....

Might not have been smart to take both Tarasenko and Domi, but Francis should have taken a chance on one or the other. Keep in mind the team basically got nothing from CBJ and still have enough cap space for him even after all of the UFA signings.

Tarasenko had a Full NTC. So we would been stuck with him and if we wanted to trade him and he allowed it we would had to eat salary too. Seattle took Dunn instead.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Tarasenko had a Full NTC. So we would been stuck with him and if we wanted to trade him and he allowed it we would had to eat salary too. Seattle took Dunn instead.
Yeah, I like Dunn though his defense is a bit suspect. We got nothing from CBJ though, and even if we had to eat Domi's salary it would have only been for one season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad