GDT: Game #2 Sabres @ Islanders 7:30PM MSG/WGR

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I think it was 2 total but it may have just been the finale against Pittsburgh.

Also consider Greenway has something to prove off last season, Mitts doesn't have the extension, and Benson is just dogged in general. It's in their nature.
it is an interesting looking group. great for mitts. seems like he might have finally found a home as far as the line combos are concerned

Reactions: Chainshot

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
A much better game than the Rangers by a lot.

Clifton was on the ice for all 3, directly responsible for 2, and actually scoring 1 of them…Jesus.

Some defensive gaffes. But largely better than the Rangers. Especially Power.

The 3rd line of Greenway-Mitts-Benson has been our best line.

A lot more physicality across the board.

My biggest concern is that the top 6 has sucked. Thompson and Cozens were flat at best.

I swear I saw Krebs sub both Cozens and Thompson and both lines came alive. Thompson seemed to respond with a couple of better shifts. I’d consider reshuffling some of the top 6, but it’s early and we’re not gelling so I get trying to keep them together.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I'm disgusted enough that I have shut everything off and won't watch any more NHL tonight. I probably won't watch the highlights tomorrow either.
Honestly.... Too many teams and not enough competent, capable and experienced on ice officials. So many of the best refs have retired so the quality remaining is so very inconsistent game to game. The referee development system needs a complete overhaul IMHO.

Bettman never played the game. He's clueless. And It's driving me nuts too!

Reactions: oldgoalie

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Is it just me or is anyone else building an intense hatred towards the Islanders and Rangers. More so the Islanders.

Reactions: Chainshot

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
If you look at the Islanders goals this was a flukey win by them.

Goal 1: Clifton gets tripped leading to a 2-on-1. Easily should have been a call.
Goal 2: Puck was going wide, kicked into the net by Clifton
Goal 3: Very borderline high stick and off side. Flip a coin on ref reviews and coaches challenges.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
If you look at the Islanders goals this was a flukey win by them.

Goal 1: Clifton gets tripped leading to a 2-on-1. Easily should have been a call.
Goal 2: Puck was going wide, kicked into the net by Clifton
Goal 3: Very borderline high stick and off side. Flip a coin on ref reviews and coaches challenges.
This is the problem though. We play poorly and we lose. Then we play decently enough to win (still not as good as I think we all expect) and get jobbed. It makes one ask what the point in watching is.

I realize I am being dramatic right now. Just very let down. Think I will keep away from the boards till the next game.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Even Bryson is like…Clifton…calm down.

Olofsson line right where it always is. The linemates change…the result remains the same.

18 year old clowning the roster.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
My very spicy hot take after two games is that Cozens has been consistently the worst player on that line. I think best to worst has been JJP by a mile then VO and Cozens.
This is what we all said about Mittelstadt until he got off his line. A near season worth of “I know…Olofsson is bad…but you know who is even worse? Casey Mittelstadt”. Guess what? It’s Olofsson. Every single time. It’s Olofsson.

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
Can't even get Levi out of the net...

A lot goes into that, but a huuuge reason is that we don’t have a single player on the roster who can win a face off when needed. It’s bonkers. It’s so important for special teams and trying to close out games.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
A lot goes into that, but a huuuge reason is that we don’t have a single player on the roster who can win a face off when needed. It’s bonkers. It’s so important for special teams and trying to close out games.
We have, at present, a below replacement level player in the top six, a top nine skill player as 4th line center…and no defensive center in the organization.

And it’s still behind veteran goalie and top 4 D on the list of shit Adams hasn’t done.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
My very spicy hot take after two games is that Cozens has been consistently the worst player on that line. I think best to worst has been JJP by a mile then VO and Cozens.
You're right. Cozens hasn't been good. He's had no help though. Watching Cozens battle on the boards against the Isles player to get the puck while Olofsson just sits there and does nothing. Even Rayzor was like is anyone gonna help him? He's gotta get away from him.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
This is what we all said about Mittelstadt until he got off his line. A near season worth of “I know…Olofsson is bad…but you know who is even worse? Casey Mittelstadt”. Guess what? It’s Olofsson. Every single time. It’s Olofsson.
Mitts had at least a couple of supporters all the way. So happy he finally gets some respect and real linemates.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Skinner, Tage, Tuch, Cozens are non existent thus far. Cozens actually looks the worst, and no, uou can't put that on Olofsson and Peterka. He can't make or receive a pass at all and outside of a board battle or 2 is absolutely useless as a player. The top line is the same. If these guys aren't going to show up when the season starts, get rid of them. Losing these points is costing us just as it's done every year for years now

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
As a Bruins fan who got to see Clifton nightly the last number of years, just know that he will have nights where he is your favorite player on the ice. Can be very smart defensively and will hit like he’s 40 pounds heavier.

But he will have his “off games” and that’s something that doesn’t change. But unless he’s less of a player now, for some reason, he’s a net positive in an NHL lineup.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
As a Bruins fan who got to see Clifton nightly the last number of years, just know that he will have nights where he is your favorite player on the ice. Can be very smart defensively and will hit like he’s 40 pounds heavier.

But he will have his “off games” and that’s something that doesn’t change. But unless he’s less of a player now, for some reason, he’s a net positive in an NHL lineup.
I’m still waiting for him to look like an NHLer but the whole team looks bad so maybe that’s on coaching.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Can't say I watched much of the last game since I was working but Olofsson is always in space waiting to capitalize off teammates and never winning a single battle in an entire game he can't keep up with Cozens or JJP for a counterattack rush so what's exactly his role on the line? He needs to be given the boot to the box I'd rather have a speed forward from Rochester playing on the 2nd line.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

Thanks for the insight. Don't mind us Sabres fans, 13 years of suck will do this to a fan base 😀.
We need the young to grow up a bit quicker than we have the patience for I guess. Spurts of great play, spurts of wtf was that play lol.
We are hopeful Clifton can help stabilize the back end a bit. Last night was primarily just poor puck luck. Tripped up on the 1st goal, off his leg on the 2nd. It happens.
Stop by more often for some good chuckles on fan base freak outs. We Sabres fans can give some great material 🤣

Reactions: HOOats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad