GDT: Game #2 Sabres @ Islanders 7:30PM MSG/WGR

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m still waiting for him to look like an NHLer but the whole team looks bad so maybe that’s on coaching.

He’s definitely not the guy to “stabilize” a roster. He’s a bit of a wild man, and ideally, you want a roster in which you can bounce him back and forth between second and third D pairing based on how he’s playing.

He’s a player you pretty much always notice on the ice. I say he’s a “net positive”, because especially as his game matured a bit from when he was first called up, he had more good ones than bad. But he’s always had inconsistencies and dumb plays unfortunately.

I wouldn’t worry too much yet. He will likely have a game soon where he sets the tone in the first five minutes with a huge hit and that will set off a handful of games where he’s lights out.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This was a step back from the ledge game. Sabres should have won this and if they keep playing like this, they'll be fine.

Seems like most years we've started hot and fizzled, perhaps the opposite is happening now.

Benson is here to stay.
We just got to hope that other teams play just as disjointed at times as the Islanders did, if you think that standard of play wins most nights. The only line that played at a level that should be considered good hockey was GMB and that was mostly because of Benson and Greenways play.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Is it just me or is anyone else building an intense hatred towards the Islanders and Rangers. More so the Islanders.
Why would I hate either team? Because Buffalo can’t beat them or has trouble against them? Seems I should be angry at Buffalo for that if anything. Is it because they tend to get favorable treatment from the refs at times? Seems my hatred/anger should be towards the league and refs. These teams are trying to accomplish the same goals as Buffalo. Maybe Buffalo isn’t doing enough to be able to overcome some obstacles of these issues we face.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
The bar there is really, really low. And his indifference was a direct part of GA1 in game 1.
I guess it's bad that we have bigger problems than joker now but he hasn't stuck out in preseason or the first 2 games as crapping the bed.

Really makes Cliffy's too cool for preseason stand out as lazy and apparently DG was ok with it which can lead one down the path of thinking that maybe they didn't take the last month as intensive as they should have. Speculatory of course.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I guess it's bad that we have bigger problems than joker now but he hasn't stuck out in preseason or the first 2 games as crapping the bed.

Really makes Cliffy's too cool for preseason stand out as lazy and apparently DG was ok with it which can lead one down the path of thinking that maybe they didn't take the last month as intensive as they should have. Speculatory of course.
I agree. I just posted in the GBU thread that it was more about experimenting than getting into game shape and ready for battle game one.

As for Joker, I've defended him because I hope to see him as a 3rd pair guy, but he's going to be hung out again over his head on the 2nd pair. I don't want Clifton there either though so somebody has to get busted playing with Power. Maybe Ry Jo can help this scenario out by mid-season but is not what we all hoped for starting in June. May a magic 2nd pair RHD become available for a price KA can agree to...

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Would never have even noticed.
How can anyone hold in their DG opinion?

But yeah every season is an expected new step and with that, a new plateau for Granato. 2 games in is hardly a proper sample but we were all hoping they would come out of the gate with the eye of the tiger. I know I had different expectations especially for game 1. You're going to win close to no games playing with that level of competitiveness.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Skinner, Tage, Tuch, Cozens are non existent thus far. Cozens actually looks the worst, and no, uou can't put that on Olofsson and Peterka. He can't make or receive a pass at all and outside of a board battle or 2 is absolutely useless as a player. The top line is the same. If these guys aren't going to show up when the season starts, get rid of them. Losing these points is costing us just as it's done every year for years now
Cozens has been slow to making decisions, I assume because VO is useless and isn't getting to the spots he needs to, sloppy with possession as well. I think he is skating fast and finding space pretty well though.

Top line woke up halfway through Islanders game. Expecting a strong showing tomorrow.

Reactions: Yatzhee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad