Post-Game Talk: game 2: phi vs wsh (mod note post #32)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
This is Barry Trotz. What kind of production do you expect?

Scored 7 times, scored against once. Trotz doesn't want to score 10 goals in 2 games. This is not his MO. He's OK with 3-2 and 2-1. We are doing better so far, and we are seeing signs of better things offensively.

1st line is OK.
2nd line is due.
3rd line is out of sorts but Mojo is on fire.
4th line is out there not for scoring.

Holtby and the defense - the backbone made by GMBM/Trotz/Korn - are buying forwards more time. Those are experienced and/or skilled forwards. That's a plan.

No cohesiveness is a part of a system due to Trotz not being offensive master I guess. He knows how to get the puck to Ovi. Next step is not his best expertise.

But clearly Trotz does care bout lines producing, or he wouldn't have shaken them up several times in the last month or so to 'get them going'. Only one of the six goals scored so far has been the result of the normal ES lines - and that was Chimera's. I doubt 'score on the power play, and then at random fortunate moments' is the strategy here. Trotz doesn't want them to take risks and jeopardise a lead for the sake of scoring, but that's different to not wanting lines out there who can reliably score.

What I don't get is why when 8-19-77 was coasting people were calling for it to be torn apart, and yet a lengthy drought for 65-92-14 leads to assumptions they'll click back into place soon. We need the second line to cash in on those 'due' goals every game, not once in the sometime future.

I'm starting to wonder if third line/Mojo problem is actually Chimera. A lot of why 25-90-43 worked offensively was because of Chimera and Mojo as a pairing, coupled with Wilson's physicality buying them space. But over the last two months all the different combinations (Wilson, Richards, Beagle) have kept Chimera as the constant. I'd be intrigued to see some form of a 90-83-43 line at some point... Maybe it is Chimera who's cooled down a bit. His style certainly wouldn't be out of keeping with Winnick and Richards, and Winnick can play RW.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
As a part of the switch being thrown, I would expect to see better passing. Yes we have the great pass every now and then, but is this the best it will be all playoffs... is this us; or is there a western conference grade passing switch yet to be thrown?

I am eating crow that we have 3PPGs, I did not expect that. Hats off to the flyers for running a passive regular season PK, and us taking advantage.

If indeed we are supposed to crush the flyers I would expect to see better overall passing. We are living off the PP and Jennings grade D, our regular season keys to victory. Getting Kuzy and 2 scoring when the PP dries up would be righteous.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
63y6ok.jpg

Does he post on HF or what?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Yes, that's true. And by that same logic, we are facing an easy opponent, and capitalising on their stupidities and weaknesses. Watching the Blues vs the Blackhawks, that's not what I see.

Which lines, against the Pens, have proven in recent weeks to be capable of scoring regular, reliable goals at ES? How do we get that first goal - the one that gives you the momentum to build on - if we face a strong PK? Back in February, I would have been confident either 65-92-14 or 25-90-43 could have got it done, and that 8-19-77 and 21-10-46 stood a good chance. Our bottom three lines seem to be succeeding against the grain these days, not with it, and we haven't seen anything in the playoffs (it was 65-83-90 on the ice for the Beagle goal and 10-19-77 for the Backstrom one) or last five games of the regular season to suggest the regular lines are back on track at ES.

In contrast, Holtby and our defence very definitely are. Alzner-Niskanen are playing their best hockey of an already impressive year, Carlson's back to his great self, and Orpik, Orlov and Schmidt are all playing well. We're certainly deep enough in terms of talent in our forward ranks - but you have to admit its disappointing we still haven't found our well-oiled second, third and fourth lines again from a production point of view.
Against the Pens? Every line looks capable of scoring.

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
lol White. Philly is mentally weak, just like the Isles last year. They're focusing on the refs and hitting, not thinking so much about getting back even in the series.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I understand keeping perspective. The Caps still look like the best team in the east. When I'm saying something bad about the third line (they need to maintain better possession at ES), that is a very minor complaint. It's hard to complain about much else (maybe the discipline needs to improve too). Holtby has been elite, the defense has been great (including Orlov and Schmidt), the top 6 have generated great chances, the special teams have been lights out, and the Capitals have been more physical.

Let's not forget that the Flyers are not a bad team. There's a reason they did so well down the stretch and it isn't just luck. The Caps have played great so far, but they can improve in a few small areas.

(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I understand keeping perspective. The Caps still look like the best team in the east. When I'm saying something bad about the third line (they need to maintain better possession at ES), that is a very minor complaint. It's hard to complain about much else (maybe the discipline needs to improve too). Holtby has been elite, the defense has been great (including Orlov and Schmidt), the top 6 have generated great chances, the special teams have been lights out, and the Capitals have been more physical.

Let's not forget that the Flyers are not a bad team. There's a reason they did so well down the stretch and it isn't just luck. The Caps have played great so far, but they can improve in a few small areas.
(mod)

(mod)

The reality is, not every player on the roster is going to play to the best of their abilities simultaneously. When Ovi and Backstrom were cold, it was Kuznetsov carrying the load offensively. Now that the 2nd line is cold, the 1st line is scoring again. No one on the team has been bad so far, everyone is contributing in some way, even if it doesn't appear on the score sheet.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
63y6ok.jpg

Does he post on HF or what?

I'm sure White is partly trying to work the refs and partly trying to deflect blame but he chose a peculiar time to try an exercise that option. It is low percentage based on his team coming off a game with a 5-3, 4-3 and a 4-2 PP advantage.

That makes it look weaksauce. Its like a coach challenging a goal that has no business being challenged. Ruins street cred

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No sane ref is going to buy into that whining the way this series is being played/called.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Interesting to see how Williams and Richards really made them more capable of closing out the series. Game 3. Has to be won.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Game 3. Has to be won.

For certain the Caps are presented with a great opportunity to exorcise great demons of the past with this 2-0 series lead business.

0-7 in the 3rd game of a 7 game series when leading 2-0.

They need to mentally believe and reverse this. It's a tremendous opportunity to gain mental purchase.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm sure White is partly trying to work the refs and partly trying to deflect blame but he chose a peculiar time to try an exercise that option. It is low percentage based on his team coming off a game with a 5-3, 4-3 and a 4-2 PP advantage.

That makes it look weaksauce. Its like a coach challenging a goal that has no business being challenged. Ruins street cred

Players aren't meant to be working the refs, except for those who wear the C or A on their chests.
After the 1st period of game 1, the Caps had already 3 consecutive penalties, and Trotz worked the refs during the intermission.

That's how you work the refs, and it should be done by the coach ideally.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I don't think they have to win game three at all.

They do however have to win game four if they lose game three.

I expect the Flyers to come out tomorrow with an insane amount of intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad