Post-Game Talk: game 2: phi vs wsh (mod note post #32)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Schenn smoked by Ovi and Carly, love it. The Richards hit was great too.
I also like the fact that Kuzya shoot more and more than in the regular season.

Holtby was great. Mason :yo:

Thanks to the OP (on the main board) for the "ovechkin playoff strugles" :yo:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
is that bjork ? why post a pic of her

neuvirth_bjork.jpg~c200

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
Code:
JoeB said the Bears beat the flyers AHL affiliate too so 3-0 DC over philly today.

Redskins also beat the Eagles twice last season, the Wizards have destroyed the 76ers for a bunch of years in a row, the DC metro area surpassed Philly's metro area in terms of population according to the last census...It's getting ugly out here for the cheesesteak aficionados of the northeast.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
is that bjork ? why post a pic of her

Do you think Philly should try and go with Neuvirth next game?

I do. For several reasons, one of which is to attempt to haunt his former team, assuming that is really a thing that motivates players.

Jun 15, 2007
I don't think it works for goalies. For skaters sure but I think goalies want to be as zen as possible.

Mason is a good goalie. I expect Philly to live and die with him.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Isn't Mason 2-8 for his career in the playoffs? Just looked it up, Neuvy is 4-5-1. Down 0-2 I'd try Neuvy, what do they have to lose?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Do you think Philly should try and go with Neuvirth next game?

I do. For several reasons, one of which is to attempt to haunt his former team, assuming that is really a thing that motivates players.

Post game coverage Alan May and Brent Johnson brought up this possibility of Neuvy starting the next game and then Johnson began to say to May don't go there, don't go there and May remarked unless Neuvy indicates that he's not ready to play at which Johnson and May both start laughing with Johnson remarking "I told you not to go there".

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I know what Philly should do, announce Neuvy as the starter for 3 and then at the last minute, call him out sick. #sike

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
I believe Richards and Williams are rubbing off on the entire team

Their demeanor is totally different

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
So this must be that hangover thing all the cool kids kept telling me about. :sarcasm:....Anyways, great game last night! It really does appear they've flipped the metaphorical switch.

Philly came out flying(pun intended) down 0-1 in the series. Kind of expected that. We weathered the initial push and just slowly little by little took the game over and embarrassed them.

I wasn't concerned with the shots against either because like Joe B and Craig mentioned a number of times it was clearly their plan to throw the puck at Holtby any chance they could so a lot of those shots were garbage shots.

The Orpik goal was meh, two guys hammering down on him, one basically took him out of the play and it left the other wide open in front of the net, not really much you can do there on his part besides try and bulldoze them both down and take a penalty. Was shocked at the reaction of a lot of people here calling him and idiot etc etc when it happened. :laugh:

Holtby appears to be pre-allstar break Holtby again, much to do with the shot blocking and the resurgence of Carlson though. Not discounting his 10 bellers cause he had a handful of those too. :handclap:

Ovi gonna ovi and Oshie was like a mini Ovi last night. That guy is a pit bull with and without the puck. I never realized he played like that in St. Louis. I always thought he was a finesse player more so than anything.

The onld guys look great (Chimmer/Williams/Richards) and man what a game from Willy last night.

If you managed to read all my rambling congrats to you and Go Caps Go! We're looking pretty good. :)

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
2 more to go!

FWIW, have to say, watched the game in replay, looked to me like basically a special teams and Holtby win. Flyers PK is pathetic, and they have lots of "stone hands" on that team... But, 5-on-5 remains a concern for the Caps...

At the same time, it's encouraging to see the significant increase in physicality -- will be a key to slow down some fast teams as the series wear on. 2nd line also looks like it will break through at some point.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I really think the shot differential was due to two factors:
1. Caps' passes not finding sticks, or exploding off of them when they did
2. Flars shooting from EVERYWHERE.

The first is a concern, but a correctible one. The second is simply a tactical adjustment. I'm pleased with the commitment so far, and no Cap has yet withered under the pressure.

Ovy seemed to turn it on/around after missing that empty net. That's YUGE.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I really think the shot differential was due to two factors:
1. Caps' passes not finding sticks, or exploding off of them when they did
2. Flars shooting from EVERYWHER

3. Caps missed the net on good opportunities several times last night. Those don't show up on the shot total.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
We're not doing brilliantly at even strength. If we exclude Chimmer's goal as a fluke, Backstrom's was the only genuine ES goal of the game, and only two of the six scored so far have been.

This is troubling because, while our PK has been brilliant and our PP executing well, both of those things are as dependent on the Flyers' failures as much as our strengths. Assuming we make it to the next round, it seems unlikely the next team's PK will be as tactically clueless at stopping our PP as the Flyers'.

The second line can't score. Still. Scoring and puck possession is their job - none of them are regular PKers, they get few defensive zone starts, Kuzy's not great at faceoffs, and they're not a great two-way line (and nowhere close to a shutdown line). It's been, what, a dozen games since that line was regularly producing? That needs to be fixed, and soon.

Richards is playing brilliantly with his physical, grinding game, wearing the Flyers down, and is of course superb on the PK (though not faceoffs, oddly - wasn't his FO% around 33% last night?). Johansson's found his form again the last stretch of games - pretty much since centering Ovi and Oshie while Backstorm was out. Not just offensively - zone entries, take aways, blocking the occasional shot, his board play hasn't been awful, and those nice setups for Beags and Chimmers don't hurt.

Yet the third line isn't clicking. Individually the players are doing fine, but a well-formed line becomes greater than the sum of its parts. What's up with that?

The fourth line I think is playing well, actually. Winnick was a fantastic addition - leaving the benefits of a Laich-free contract aside - and Wilsons overall game continues to improve. Beagle is Beagle, I don't recall the last game I saw where Beagle was anything less than good.

I like the first line - so long as the other three are there to do the scoring. 8-19-77 are playing well together, all have found their feet, continue to be physically aggressive, and are getting some chances.

I'm just worried that in the six or so games now of 25-10-90, they haven't scored a single (deliberate) goal. Kuzy has gone from being a league leader in points to never on the score sheet. Given that 8-19-77 aren't capitalising on some key chances, and are always going to get some of the toughest assignments and opponents, we need the rest of the team to be firing on all cylinders, and I'm not convinced they are offensively. After this series, things won't end well for us unless these issues are addressed and fixed, because the Flyers are likely the easiest bunch we'll face in the playoffs, and these are team (not playoff) issues.

Side note:
Also frustrating to see both Richards and Beagle booted from the FO circle a couple of times. If Winnick can play Center (along with mojo and Beagle... talk about lineup flexibility) why is Wilson the backup guy to take the FO?

Last edited:

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I believe Richards and Williams are rubbing off on the entire team

Their demeanor is totally different

You really can see it that in the whole team. More relaxed but more focused.

So this must be that hangover thing all the cool kids kept telling me about. :sarcasm:....Anyways, great game last night! It really does appear they've flipped the metaphorical switch.

Philly came out flying(pun intended) down 0-1 in the series. Kind of expected that. We weathered the initial push and just slowly little by little took the game over and embarrassed them.

I wasn't concerned with the shots against either because like Joe B and Craig mentioned a number of times it was clearly their plan to throw the puck at Holtby any chance they could so a lot of those shots were garbage shots.

The Orpik goal was meh, two guys hammering down on him, one basically took him out of the play and it left the other wide open in front of the net, not really much you can do there on his part besides try and bulldoze them both down and take a penalty. Was shocked at the reaction of a lot of people here calling him and idiot etc etc when it happened. :laugh:

Holtby appears to be pre-allstar break Holtby again, much to do with the shot blocking and the resurgence of Carlson though. Not discounting his 10 bellers cause he had a handful of those too. :handclap:

Ovi gonna ovi and Oshie was like a mini Ovi last night. That guy is a pit bull with and without the puck. I never realized he played like that in St. Louis. I always thought he was a finesse player more so than anything.

The onld guys look great (Chimmer/Williams/Richards) and man what a game from Willy last night.

If you managed to read all my rambling congrats to you and Go Caps Go! We're looking pretty good. :)

Willy looked like he took a leap in maturity after game one when Richards backed him off. You know Richards gave him a sit down "here's how it is" talk and Willy took it to heart. He looked more determined and focused last night.

Next test is tomorrow in their barn. Weather the storm, stay focused and take care of your business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad