GDT: GAME 2 - OILERS @ FLAMES, WCSF | 8:30 p.m. MT | TV: CBC/Sportsnet | Radio: Sportsnet 960

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I dont even blame markstrom for this game and ive shit on him all the time. The amount if chances we gave up to even not mcdaivd was insane, that was some horrendous defending. Zad single handedly led to 2 GA and many other brain dead plays, why hes always on the ice with mcdrai on baffles me. Sure the other pair cant do shit either, but why tf is zad there.

Reactions: Tofveve

Puk44

May 7, 2022
My opinion is, with Markstrom I doubt the Flames will win anything.

That's true he made a couple of good saves yesterday, but he keeps allowing too much goals for the shots he faced.
It's also true that the team, overall, didn't play at their best level, but those games are the games that the goalie has to step up.

Honestly, I don't remember a game, in recent times, that Markstrom had won a game for the team.
I saw that from another goalies, in another teams...I really don't understand how Markstrom is one of the finalists for the Vezina.
I'm not saying that he is a bad goalie, but he isn't the God that lot's of people and some commentators think he is.

For me, Vladar deserves at least one chance.
Oettinger played for the first time in playoffs and everybody saw what he have done. I'm not saying that Vladar would do the same, but sometimes a change doesn't hurt that much.

With that been said, I'm not blaming exclusively Markstrom for yesterday defeat. There were lots of mistakes, the short-handed goal was one of the most important, and McDavid...
He is a tremendous hockey player and if the defense can't stop him, he will make them pay.

Another thing that the Flames have to improve, is the Powerplay. To be honest, I didn't check the stats, but I bet that the Flames are the team with the lowest % of PP in the playoffs, and for a team that expects to be in the conference final, that have change.

I believe that the Flames can win the series, but not playing like the last game...

I would really like that Markstrom prove me wrong and leads the Flames to something special this season.
Fingers crossed 🤞
Go Flames Go!

p.s.- again, sorry any mistakes. Tried my best...😅

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I dont even blame markstrom for this game and ive shit on him all the time. The amount if chances we gave up to even not mcdaivd was insane, that was some horrendous defending. Zad single handedly led to 2 GA and many other brain dead plays, why hes always on the ice with mcdrai on baffles me. Sure the other pair cant do shit either, but why tf is zad there.

I'd for sure keep in Stone over Zad. Zad was awful last night.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Flames deserved to lose that game, the officiating makes 0 sense, but I won't blame the officiating for the loss because Flames like I said suuuucked.

Hanifin is our only d-man right now who I feel safe with. Rasmus away from McDavid is fine, but McDavid absolutely runs his show, Hanifin seems to have learned from his previous McDavid meet ups and plays him a lot stronger.

Flames puck management right now though is killing them, weren't getting pucks deep, piss poor attempts at clearing the zone, PK back to shit after having a fantastic game one, rough passing.
The dman who gave up a two on 0 last game with a horrible chip and got manhandled this game?

None of our lhd have been up to snuff this series, and I’d say hanifin has been the most egregious given expectations, though I can’t say zadorov has had much going for him either.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I definitely agree that we can't win with Markstrom... while allowing 5+ breakaways each game like we do against the Oilers.

That said, I also don't like our chances of beating the Oilers with prime Patrick Roy if we allow 5+ breakaways each game.

Perhaps we could win with Markstrom by not allowing 5+ breakaways though.

Reactions: Janks

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I definitely agree that we can't win with Markstrom... while allowing 5+ breakaways each game like we do against the Oilers.

That said, I also don't like our chances of beating the Oilers with prime Patrick Roy if we allow 5+ breakaways each game.

Perhaps we could win with Markstrom by not allowing 5+ breakaways though.
He’s been awful along with our defence being terrible too (the latter applies to game 2 especially). They aren’t mutually exclusive.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He’s been awful along with our defence being terrible too (the latter applies to game 2 especially). They aren’t mutually exclusive.
I am aware, but the fact remains that if you take away the three breakaway goals from last game, we win.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I was in a foul mood last night and have a bit more clarity today.

We quite clearly won the first period and it wasn't just on the scoreboard. I deleted this game from my PVR immediately after I was so disgusted and doubt I'd have the desire to rewatch it regardless. So that said, I doubt anyone here was disappointed with our team after one.

IMO it was the second period where we lost the game (again not just on the scoreboard). Going up to 3-1 quick and then the quick reply from McDavid was a bit of a gut punch - I suppose this is where the momentum started to shift. But IMO the Stone 4 min call really put us on the defensive mentally and literally. That call was such a tough one because it was hardly Stone's fault in that tangle of players and then too it didn't look like a highstick (can they replay those?). So then you got guys like Johnny and Chucky who don't penalty kill sitting out a bunch of the last half of the 2nd cooling down on the bench (not to mention Chucky already being off for 2 min earlier). I think the momentum shifted so badly there we didn't recover.

We did get 4 PPs in the 3rd yet we sucked royally through all of that frame, including giving up the shorty on an awful Ras miscue.

Johnny didn't have a great game but its hard for me to throw him too far under the bus when he still had 2 assists and a number of other decent chances (set up Kylington wide open and he shot for the 3rd deck for example - if memory serves me). 2 of our PPs in the 3rd were effectively ruined by: Ras screwing up and it going out for a breakaway and goal the other way, and the other Toffoli with 2 brutal pass/shots to nowhere (Edmonton sticks and possession) which killed our 1st units PP time.

I felt our D all-around was bad and exploited regularly by their skill. This is where we really need discipline to be 5 on 5 as we stand a solid chance at defending and then being on the offensive. I'd say Ras is still our best guy but had a rough night. I still like Stone and I'd keep him in over Zad however that works.

All in all, we played well in the 1st, started the 2nd okay, then got thrown off (in part) by the penalty parade and just never recovered. Yes one of our poorer games of the playoffs. I recall in the pregame talk they said Johnny didn't skate earlier in the day (saw his parents at the game), I'm thinking he should have and I bet he doesn't miss going forward. Also, not sure why still keep playing Jarnkrok.

Let's put this one in the vault. Hopefully they practiced hard today to exercise the bad juju out of their power play. Hopefully the D could go through scenarios so they react better to their skill. And hopefully we come out better, more disciplined and more consistent next game. We have to stay out of the penalty box.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Noah Hanifin is having one of the worst post-seasons in Flames history, relative to expectations. -6 in goal differential at 5on5 through 9 games with only 2 points. Awful.

Even with 2017 Bartkowski-Engelland, you knew you were getting a firedrill most of the time.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Noah Hanifin is having one of the worst post-seasons in Flames history, relative to expectations. -6 in goal differential at 5on5 through 9 games with only 2 points. Awful.

Even with 2017 Bartkowski-Engelland, you knew you were getting a firedrill most of the time.

I agree.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Hanifin keeps doing those soft af flips to no one, im not even surprised anymore that he keeps getting hemmed,hes been a free turnover.

I'd for sure keep in Stone over Zad. Zad was awful last night.
That 2nd goal was beyond stupid, we just got one to make it 3-1 and oilers had one call back. We should have all the momentum and zad just decides to kneel before mcdavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad