GDT: GAME 2 - OILERS @ FLAMES, WCSF | 8:30 p.m. MT | TV: CBC/Sportsnet | Radio: Sportsnet 960

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
No tanev made a difference. I'm hopeful he can return for game 3.

They actually scored 7. Marky had some great stops and was better than game 1, but we need a save on one of those two breakaways. That said, it's not just on him. We need to find a way to handle their speed and to stop turning pucks over relentlessly.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Up 2-0 and Markstrom let in a weak goal. Up 3-1 and let them scored the last 4 goals

The defense was bad but Markstrom was shaky. How the hell did he become the 2nd best goalie to Mike Smith. He is playing scared of McDavid.
I’ll take my chance with Vladar. With any kind of goaltending, Flames win.

McDavid owns Hanifin. Has made him his bitch every game they’ve ever played against eachother
Yup and he owns Markstrom also

Reactions: Metalwood

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't think Tanev would've done a damn thing tonight. He looked rough against Dallas so who knows the severity of his injury/ies

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
I don't think Tanev would've done a damn thing tonight. He looked rough against Dallas so who knows the severity of his injury/ies
I think he's a calming presence for Kylington. Takes pressure off Han/Ras as well. I like Stone and he scored today. He has his value and is a solid #7, but I miss Tanev's shot blocking and puck battle tenacity, good sticks for takeaways etc.

Up 2-0 and Markstrom let in a weak goal. Up 3-1 and let them scored the last 4 goals

The defense was bad but Markstrom was shaky. How the hell did he become the 2nd best goalie to Mike Smith. He is playing scared of McDavid.

I wouldn't put it all on Markstrom. They had the better chances all night.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
It's as simple as the Flames needing to play disciplined, and guys like Mangiapane/Tkachuk are going to get into scrums. Last game, and even going back to the end of the Dallas series that didn't get called. Now that some of them are going to get called, and some extra, they need to go to keeping it between the whistles. Edmonton is going to punish 4 on 4 way more often than Dallas, and it has to be a full team effort to stop McDavid.

Sutter spoke back on how he wants everyone to play like their effort on that shift is going to be the difference in the game. Andersson and Hanifin as a pairing do not exemplify that at all so far, imo. At least this game, Hanifin has been walked, Andersson got turnstyled on two goals (one where his stick was held, but still), and just generally two big guys weren't able to use their bodies at all to cut guys out out of the play or to jump in behind the net. They need to play with a different level of intensity to match their talent. They have the odd shift where they are great, they need to be on that the entire team. It's the playoffs.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
destro-marvel.gif

This game 2 thing is reeeaaally getting old. We do love our stupid losing streaks. Have to give some credit to the Oilers I guess. Got embarrassed last game and came out with purpose. Played desperate. This was a poor game from the defense. Especially our whole left side Hanifin, Zadorov, and Kylington were all terrible. The reffing was shit all around, the Flames took way too many penalties. 22 PIMs is just unacceptable if no one fought anybody.

Good : Trevor Lewis. That's the list.

Almost good : Gudbranson was fine. Lindholm probably the best of our top 6, and he barely did anything. Liked Coleman's battle, the GI penalty I could do without. Backlund.

Meh : Rasmus, some good some bad, him booting it to Hyman for the shortie HURT bad. Mangiapane beat along the boards a lot, kept a lot of offensive plays going though. Hit the net plz. Lucic was skating well actually, kind of a non-factor. Need him parking his big ass in front of Smith. Ritchie scored a goal again so he goes here. Dube, cool you're hitting stuff. Need our depth to come through against the Oilers on the scoreboard.

Not good : Tkachuk, just didn't do much other than flap his gums. Gaudreau had basically 3 good shifts the whole game, need more from him. Kane took a cpl runs at him which cannot be left unchecked. Toffoli scored a goal but man, just an inept passer. Running our PP through him and Ras is just painful to watch, Oil might have scouted that. Stone also scored on a big shot but man his breakouts were... unlucky. Marky was fine really, made a lot of big saves. We are paying him that much to make a couple more though.

Bad : Jarnkrok, several poor DZ turnovers. Bad puck management. Can't score a f***ing goal. #FreeRuz I'm sick of this guy. Kylington was making awful decisions in his own zone and getting beat to pucks he shouldn't. Actually liked what I saw from him offensively but kid is a liability without Tanev. Zadorov awful. Gifted the Oilers two breakaway chances for free. Hanifin is the Sean Monahan of defenseman. Brutal game from him.

Horrible : The Officiating

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames deserved to lose that game, the officiating makes 0 sense, but I won't blame the officiating for the loss because Flames like I said suuuucked.

Hanifin is our only d-man right now who I feel safe with. Rasmus away from McDavid is fine, but McDavid absolutely runs his show, Hanifin seems to have learned from his previous McDavid meet ups and plays him a lot stronger.

Flames puck management right now though is killing them, weren't getting pucks deep, piss poor attempts at clearing the zone, PK back to shit after having a fantastic game one, rough passing.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'll make a second post for officiating, the NHL has to do something with this shit. Like, the goal Edmonton scored where they blew the play dead, they reviewed it, but when the Flames scored and the ref blew it early we couldn't get a review? f***ing wot?

Then the penalties too make no sense, there were tons of times when it happened, but I'll use this as an example, guy cross checks a Flame which breaks his stick, no call, guy slashes Zadorov's stick out of his hand, no call, guy barely gets his stick into a Flames players hand, that gets called, again what in the f***?

Early in the game, they take 2 Flames and only 1 Oiler in a scrum, which by itself makes no sense because the second Flame they took was the player who took the first punch yet he goes? Then later in the game Coleman takes the GI penalty (legit call), but then gets crosschecked twice in the back on the ice and only Coleman gets the penalty? The f***?

Don't even get me started on the Gaudreau embellishment call after f***ing Bouchard throws his head back like he was sniped from the 2nd deck. Absolute joke.

Officiating was probably 1/10 probably closer to -2/10, nothing makes sense at all, like AT ALL.

Again though, Flames deserved to lose by blowing 2 goal leads, twice; then giving up a shorty seconds into a critical PP in the 3rd, brutal.

Edit: I'll add this too, the Tkachuk penalty against Nurse was horseshit. Nurse gets a new stick after we score and immediately puts the blade right into Toffoli's mouth, but since Matty sticks up for his teammate it's coincidental? f***ing horseshit, should have been 2 for Tkachuck and 4 for Nurse, ridiculous that that was an even up call when Nurse pulls that kind of shit.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
McDavid is the best player in the world. If we want any hope in hell of beating Edmonton, we HAVE to minimize his production down to maybe 1 or 2 points a game. It's f***ing disgusting how good he is. If Tanev is moderately healthy, he might be a better option than Stone.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
McDavid is the best player in the world. If we want any hope in hell of beating Edmonton, we HAVE to minimize his production down to maybe 1 or 2 points a game. It's f***ing disgusting how good he is. If Tanev is moderately healthy, he might be a better option than Stone.
Keep stone sit Zadorov he has been horrendous last 2 games

Reactions: Tofveve

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Whatever happened to the old days when you do line matching and have someone shadowing him?

Or maybe the Flames have nobody good enough to do that?

Our defense is worse than LA’s

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I think as long as they come out to the Mortal Kombat theme in game 5, and Johnny changes his namebar to "Cage," they'll be fine.

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021

Marky always had trouble with the Oilers when he was with the 'Nucks... Might be the team he struggled most against historically. Especially McDrai.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
Oilers fan here. I thought that the Oilers won that game with a significant amount of luck. It didn't feel like the Flames were bad in this one, they just didn't get as many calls and bounces as the Oilers.

I think we all know what a good game looks like from our respective teams and I don't think either of them has played to that potential yet this series.

Some of it has to be based on the very real hype, and the fact that we hate each other so much. Players are gripping sticks a little tighter and struggling to skate away from post whistle scrums a bit more.

Without trying to pump his tires, 97 can make anybody look like a pylon on any given night. Don't be too hard on Hanifin or Markstrom. Keep hitting him, ignore the puck, defend him in layers and if you're lucky you'll slow him down occasionally.

It's a long series and I was pretty sure we were done after game one and the quick two goals against last night. We need short memories in a series like this.

Give it a day and you'll be ready to cheer for the Flames again... in all of your toothless/inbred glory.

Here's to a vicious and filthy 7 games series that creates life long enemies, tears apart families, and completely divides the hockey world into two eternally warring factions. This is what we're here for. It takes a bigger man to hate his enemy than it does to make peace. 😂🍺

Reactions: DCDM and Tofveve

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Yes everyone needs to chill, we were always looking at a 6 or 7 game series imo which means if Flames can come out on top the Oilers still win two or three. But need to stay out of box and keep a zone on McDavid but that means good coverage elsewhere.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Weren't going to sweep Edmonton. Need to keep it 5v5 and keep on the forecheck like game 1. We have the upperhand playing 5v5.. need to simplify things and get disciplined. Not going to stop McD so have to limit the damage somehow which is best accomplished by controlling the play and grinding it out in there zone. We're a good road team so I wouldn't worry too much yet.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If you can’t hold the lead , you ain’t winning a playoff. That’s fact.

Unless that changes quickly, we are done.

Forget about 6-2. 2-0 and 3-1 should have been enough

Also, was not remotely impressed with Johnny last night. He is back to being tentative. Maybe scumbag Kane got to his head

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
DFF, well put. What's troubling is that Sutter is supposed to be one of those coaches who preaches exactly that. It's his M.O. isn't it? Why we're not mentally up to task is vexing beyond all belief.

Wakey, wakey Flames... You gotta earn this series win--it isn't going to be handed to you.

I can't wait for Tanev to settle things down on our D pairings. I think we're hooped without him.

Oh and Markstrom... Settle down for Christ's sake. It's time to dial in.

voodoo-doll-edmonton-oilers.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: DFF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad