GDT: Game 2: Ducks @ Flames

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I'm really curious to see if Holland plays on Friday. I guess he'll play at least one of these games because he could be playing with Norfolk which has 3 games in 4 days starting tomorrow.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
As for the game (my thoughts):

1st line:
Getz is carrrying that line for now. Palmieri is looking good, you can see the kid is trying hard. Perry seems to struggle early but it`s only a matter of time when he`ll be back at his top form.
2nd line:
They looked a bit better yesterday, but they`re still far. I think they`ll be able to find the chemistry soon. Bonino actually brings a pretty nice defensive awarness to that line, and have made some great passes here and there. However, he lacks the offensive abilities and i might be even more pissed that we didn`t picked up Connolly.
I saw some nice cyclings they made, but the trio have been playing together so short time, i`d like them to keep playing as they are at least for this weekend and don`t split them up.
3d line:
Thank you for 4 points in the standings in the first 2 games, guys
4th line:
Is it only me, or Rakell and Devo looked a bit too slow? Rakell is a nice surprise, but i would like to send him back to juniors for his last season there.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Yet again you resort to stats to make a point. I get it. We don't have his shifts in their entirety on video...never mind. I'm done with this. I'll wait until Bonino actually does something worthwhile to get on the bandwagon because obviously some people think he's doing just fine.

Nice strawman. Nobody said he's "fine". People are saying that giving the 2C to a player that the coach felt was inferior to a juniors player for the 4th line role is premature. Since you don't have anything tangible to actually refute that, and Holland hasn't actually outperformed Bonino at any level, I'm really not sure what your rationale is.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary

1st line:
Getz is carrrying that line for now. Palmieri is looking good, you can see the kid is trying hard. Perry seems to struggle early but it`s only a matter of time when he`ll be back at his top form.
2nd line:
They looked a bit better yesterday, but they`re still far. I think they`ll be able to find the chemistry soon. Bonino actually brings a pretty nice defensive awarness to that line, and have made some great passes here and there. However, he lacks the offensive abilities and i might be even more pissed that we didn`t picked up Connolly.
I saw some nice cyclings they made, but the trio have been playing together so short time, i`d like them to keep playing as they are at least for this weekend and don`t split them up.
3d line:
4th line:
Is it only me, or Rakell and Devo looked a bit too slow? Rakell is a nice surprise, but i would like to send him back to juniors for his last season there.

I agree with a lot of things you mentioned but not Connolly. He's very bad defensively so that line wouldn't have any defensive presence at all. In all likelihood, he'd also get injured fairly quickly as well and we'd be back at square one.

Pahlsson26

Oct 17, 2011

1st line:
2nd line:
3d line:
4th line:

I think they're playing more cautiously than they are slow.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I agree with a lot of things you mentioned but not Connolly. He's very bad defensively so that line wouldn't have any defensive presence at all. In all likelihood, he'd also get injured fairly quickly as well and we'd be back at square one.

Is he really that horrible defensively? not that i watched him on a regular basis but i thought he was about ok there. He also seems to play a lot ofPK minutes.

I think they're playing more cautiously than they are slow.

I`d say they could be faster. They didn`t seem to make the safe play when they needed sometimes. After those 2 games, i`d like to try Holland on that line to see what difference he can bring. He must play against Vancouver at home, he got his first NHL goal like that :laugh:

---
And as for Bonino again:

We all know that is Booby and Teemu line first, before it is Bonino line (although, i like the name of a ''Boner line'' :sarcasm: ). The main guys on that line are struggling, and Bonino himself won`t carry that line, simply because he`s not able to. But i haven`t seen anything from him yet that would make me call him horrible or even bad.
Teemu said he feels like he`s still playing bad, and we saw that Ryan also is not in the game mode yet.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Is he really that horrible defensively? not that i watched him on a regular basis but i thought he was about ok there. He also seems to play a lot ofPK minutes.

He's not at all physical in the defensive zone (or anywhere really), bad at coverage and just makes a lot of irresponsible passes. Bonino's much better defensively imo

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Our third line isn't going to sustain this scoring pace for the season. It's nice that we have a line with chemistry in our bottom six, but getting the second line going has to happen in the next couple of weeks.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Our third line isn't going to sustain this scoring pace for the season. It's nice that we have a line with chemistry in our bottom six, but getting the second line going has to happen in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah exactly. They've been our best line so far but it won't last and you'd have to think their goals will come in bunches. I think sub in Holland for DSP/Beleskey then if Bonino fails to improve offensively you have another option.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
12 goals in 2 games and 20 pages on making changes to the lineup

That production is unsustainable, and then Anaheim is going to need the 2nd line and their defense to be sharp. Winning the first two games is great, but I think we'd all like them to keep winning, and for that to happen there are areas that need to be better.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
That production is unsustainable, and then Anaheim is going to need the 2nd line and their defense to be sharp. Winniking the first two games is great, but I think we'd all like them to keep winniking, and for that to happen there are areas that need to be better.

Fixed :)

DaDucks*

That production is unsustainable, and then Anaheim is going to need the 2nd line and their defense to be sharp. Winning the first two games is great, but I think we'd all like them to keep winning, and for that to happen there are areas that need to be better.

We've only been outplayed maybe 1 period? even with sbisa's rust and playing Hendry in a game...

The pk goals against are top shelf low percent snipes .. obviously we are weak in front of hiller but the bleeding will stop on the pk

Bobby alone has set his line mates up with two strong scoring chances. And the second line hasn't been pinned in their zone hardly at all, offense should come. Our depth with the first and 3 rd lines can allow us to be patient for the 2nd.

give staubitz a chance on the 4th over beleskey... he brings more size and is a hard skater like winnik, and I believe might have a decent enough cycle game.. Friday would be a perfect time to play him against that other big 4th line of Vancouver (Reece I believe is the big boy)

Don't think I need to add how well Lydman and beach look now they are healthy.... Our pro's dip heavily over the cons of our team... I think we only need to fear injuries

Last edited by a moderator:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Nice strawman. Nobody said he's "fine". People are saying that giving the 2C to a player that the coach felt was inferior to a juniors player for the 4th line role is premature. Since you don't have anything tangible to actually refute that, and Holland hasn't actually outperformed Bonino at any level, I'm really not sure what your rationale is.

Lol I'm getting accused of strawman from the first guy in this, I suppose this is some form of spat, to do so. I never really said Bonino has been outplayed. I admitted that I have no way of proving that Holland's AHL play > Bonino's performance. I don't have a rationale. I don't need one. I don't like Bonino there. I've never been a part of the group that thinks he's a future 30-40 point 2c with the right guidance. I've only seen flashes from Bonino and that's it. It's not that I don't like the kid. I just don't see him as being much. To me he strikes me as a bigger Andrew Ebbett only bigger and better at D.

I simply don't feel comfortable with this team trying to make the playoffs with Bonino anchoring Selanne and Ryan. Do I think it's a guarantee that Holland will do a better job? No. I have a feeling, but I can easily be wrong. What I'm saying is, we should give Bonino a little more time to gel there and give some serious thought to other options if it doesn't work out. Even if that's a quick experiment with Holland at 2c. Give him a chance to, you know prove himself. We keep saying Holland hasn't proven he's better than Bonino, and then that defaults to the belief that we shouldn't even bother giving him a chance to do so. Because a one game experiment (keep in mind before you take things personally again that I'm arguing this point against a general group that carries this belief) with Holland on that second line would, I guess, be disastrous. He HAS to work his way up from 4c, but then I gotta ask, if Rakell keeps earning his chance there at the 4c, (a line which I don't see fitting Holland's style very well as it is), and we don't want to separate Koivu from his line, and we aren't sending down Holland to play 3 in 4, and we want to give Bonino his shot to be the 2c anchor...when and how exactly is Holland supposed to get his chance?

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Lol I'm getting accused of strawman from the first guy in this, I suppose this is some form of spat, to do so. I never really said Bonino has been outplayed. I admitted that I have no way of proving that Holland's AHL play > Bonino's performance. I don't have a rationale. I don't need one. I don't like Bonino there. I've never been a part of the group that thinks he's a future 30-40 point 2c with the right guidance. I've only seen flashes from Bonino and that's it. I simply don't feel comfortable with this team trying to make the playoffs with Bonino anchoring Selanne and Ryan. Do I think it's a guarantee that Holland will do a better job? No. I have a feeling, but I can easily be wrong. What I'm saying is, we should give Bonino a little more time and give some serious thought to other options. Even if that's a quick experiment with Holland at 2c. Give him a chance to, you know prove himself. We keep saying Holland hasn't proven he's better than Bonino, and then that defaults to the belief that we shouldn't even bother giving him a chance to do so.

No, it defaults to the belief he should start on the 4th line like every other center the Ducks have developed in the last decade and work his way up if he earns the right. However poorly Bonino is performing offensively, he is a known quantity defensively. Holland isn't at this level. I agree long term he's the likely 2C. But the season is too short to be losing a game because a rookie had no clue who to cover while Selanne and Ryan were floating around IMO.

EDIT - Bonino had 18P in 50 games last year, which prorates to 30 points over 82 games (granted, with all the inaccuracies of prorating). Why would you not think he was capable of being a 30-40 point player?

Last edited:

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Boner is fine at this line. He is doing his job and he is doing it fine. This line is much like the old Kariya - Rucchin - Selanne combo. The center is holding the back free for the wingers. They have to create the offense. Reading some wishes here, well, you all ask for a first line center. With Selanne in the linup you need a defensivly sound player to cover him. So in my mind, you're asking for a player like Bergeron.

Bonino will do fine, he will never become a high scoring player but he is doing his job on that line. It's not his fault that Bobby and Teemu do not play well together.

Fallenity

Apr 12, 2011
Boner is fine at this line. He is doing his job and he is doing it fine. This line is much like the old Kariya - Rucchin - Selanne combo. The center is holding the back free for the wingers. They have to create the offense. Reading some wishes here, well, you all ask for a first line center. With Selanne in the linup you need a defensivly sound player to cover him. So in my mind, you're asking for a player like Bergeron.

Bonino will do fine, he will never become a high scoring player but he is doing his job on that line. It's not his fault that Bobby and Teemu do not play well together.

Quoted for truth.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No, it defaults to the belief he should start on the 4th line like every other center the Ducks have developed in the last decade and work his way up if he earns the right. However poorly Bonino is performing offensively, he is a known quantity defensively. Holland isn't at this level. I agree long term he's the likely 2C. But the season is too short to be losing a game because a rookie had no clue who to cover while Selanne and Ryan were floating around IMO.

EDIT - Bonino had 18P in 50 games last year, which prorates to 30 points over 82 games (granted, with all the inaccuracies of prorating). Why would you not think he was capable of being a 30-40 point player?

Maybe I was a bit harsh in saying not even a 30 point center. 2c is what I was really trying to get at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad