GDT: Game 2: Detroit Red Wings @ Boston Bruins - 10/5/13 - 7PM ET - NESN(HD), NHLN, 98.5FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattbnh

Apr 26, 2004
New Hampster
Anyone think it was odd that Jack was making excuses for the Red Wings last night? A few times he kept reminding us "remember, this is Detroit's 3rd game in 4 nights" and "you can tell they played a late one last night so this isn't indicative of a fully rested Red Wings team!" or something like that.. and then I saw this on twitter:

I mean.. technically he's right. It's just weird he would point it out so much, haha

I really think Jack doesn't want the fans, or the Bruins, or his own enthusiasm, to read too much into this game. It would be a huge mistake to overlook Detroit. They will be a force in the division, and the Bruins will need to be at their best to win the reg-season series and any playoff series.

But still, a complete win. Let's see how the Bruins fare after some road trips and back to backs before we get too puffed up. That's how I feel and I think that's where Jack is coming from.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Now, as for the game...thoroughly impressed. I thought the first and second lines would be adequately matched, and it was the third line that came through and ended up being a big part of the win. Plus, holy power play. Keep Zee in front of the net on that bad boy. He's bound to create some space in one way or the other, either with the puck on his stick OR for the other guys to move around.

Also fairly evident Krejci's not 100%. If there's one guy who could use the sparse schedule the next week, it's him.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Last year's problem with the 3rd line: not enough qualified players to fill it out (the Bourque experiment, Caron, etc) and Kelly and Pevs underperforming.

This year's "problem" with the 3rd line: Too many qualified players.

I prefer this year's problem.:)

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Last year's problem with the 3rd line: not enough qualified players to fill it out (the Bourque experiment, Caron, etc) and Kelly and Pevs underperforming.

This year's "problem" with the 3rd line: Too many qualified players.

I prefer this year's problem.:)

I think we all do :laugh:

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
It's one thing to report the things you see and observe. That's all fine and good.

It's a whole other thing to say whether or not someone's gone to "the room." From my seats (10) I can see them go down the tunnel, but I have no way of knowing if they're going to "the room" or if there's some other medical problem, or if it's even a simple equipment issue. Therefore, if someone asks my opinion from the game (and I wasn't there last night), I'll say they went down the tunnel but I'm not speculating about the cause. For all we know, Bergeron could've had the runs from too much bacon (although I'll maintain there is no such thing as too much bacon.)

We all know what "the room" is for. When a guy with Bergeron's hx goes to "the room" everyone freaks out. Thing is, we don't even know that's where he went. If he went to "the room" he would not have been back as soon as he was. He would've spent more time in there, because an on-site neuro exam and observation takes more time than he spent away from the bench.

That's my problem with this whole overblown issue. It incites (the correct use of that word...people are funny) an unnecessary reaction. People get blasted on places like twitter for making similar assumptions. People should feel free to post away....but they also need to be responsible for the content that they post and understand that if it's based in assumptions that are difficult to prove, they'll get called on it. HF does have standards for posting this kind of information.

That's all.

Well, her post simply said
Bergy just went to the room. . Followed by the Dr

I read that as simply meaning the dressing*room*. When players talk of a guy being a good guy "in the room," I don't think they mean the Quiet Room.

It's pretty much just straight factual. Maybe other people are doing the reading-too-much-into-it?

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Thanks ! I guess I was being "accused" of over reacting but was really just reporting what was going on. I am no insider but because I sit where I do see and hear stuff others don't. Some things I wouldn't post here.

I let the complainers get to me sometimes.

I don't see it as all that different than when Jack or Brick report this-sometimes they notice-sometimes they don't.

Sometimes it isn't a big deal (might be a cramp or something easily/quickly like a small cut) sometimes it is.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Thanks ! I guess I was being "accused" of over reacting but was really just reporting what was going on. I am no insider but because I sit where I do see and hear stuff others don't. Some things I wouldn't post here.

I let the complainers get to me sometimes.

Just keep posting, Ladyfan.

Thanks.

And, the best thing a/b sitting near the benches for me was hearing the trash talk. Pick up anything worthwhile, or even mildly funny...I for one would love to hear it.

If they ever mic'd these guys fulltime, hockey would surpass all other sports in popularity. Easy.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

Thanks.

And, the best thing a/b sitting near the benches for me was hearing the trash talk. Pick up anything worthwhile, or even mildly funny...I for one would love to hear it.

If they ever mic'd these guys fulltime, hockey would surpass all other sports in popularity. Easy.

It'd be great even to have a separate dedicated audio feed available online for people who want that. Others wouldn't have to hear it if they didn't want to (there just may be a few expletives involved). It could be an extra feature of games, like turning on closed captioning. :laugh:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

Thanks.

Yes but they would have to hire a bleeper guy and put a delay on the game.

I admit I kind of like a lot of the trash talk-I remember Ference wore a mic during the cup run and he was hilarious. His trash talk they played in game clips was very sarcastic more than obscene but they were in charge of the edit.

I would love to hear Marchand in fullest form.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport

I read that as simply meaning the dressing*room*. When players talk of a guy being a good guy "in the room," I don't think they mean the Quiet Room.

It's pretty much just straight factual. Maybe other people are doing the reading-too-much-into-it?

A. 95% (number pulled out of my ass and by no means represents any factual polling I've done) of people here are not players, so in that way, one needs to consider their audience. I myself played and when I hear "the room" I think of the neuro room. Plus, as far as context examples, being a "good guy" in the room and a player going to "the room" during a hockey game are two completely and totally different things, so that example doesn't fit here.

B. It's not factual, though, that's the thing. It's incomplete information. Then people read into it.....and make their own assumptions....because the information is incomplete. Again, considering the audience and considering what we know about Bergeron's history of head injuries, when someone says Bergeron's going to the room....that's exactly the conclusion 10 out of 10 people will draw.

Again, I'm not saying people shouldn't post what they see. 'Tis a board full of people's opinions and observations.

People just need to be cognizant of what they say and understand that if it's an assumption, people CAN and WILL challenge it.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

The doctor part is why people started to get worked up. All that was said was relax because it could be anything. No one called anyone out or anything.

As Marshmont said, if your going to post things be ready for a discussion both positive and negative.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
A. 95% (number pulled out of my ass and by no means represents any factual polling I've done) of people here are not players, so in that way, one needs to consider their audience. I myself played and when I hear "the room" I think of the neuro room. Plus, as far as context examples, being a "good guy" in the room and a player going to "the room" during a hockey game are two completely and totally different things, so that example doesn't fit here.

B. It's not factual, though, that's the thing. It's incomplete information. Then people read into it.....and make their own assumptions....because the information is incomplete. Again, considering the audience and considering what we know about Bergeron's history of head injuries, when someone says Bergeron's going to the room....that's exactly the conclusion 10 out of 10 people will draw.

Again, I'm not saying people shouldn't post what they see. 'Tis a board full of people's opinions and observations.

People just need to be cognizant of what they say and understand that if it's an assumption, people CAN and WILL challenge it.

A. It's someone watching the game and typing into a mobile device while trying to do so. Typing "room" instead of "dressing room" is something 95% of people (pulling that out of my ass, too) would do, and anyone alive in the age of Twitter and texting would realize that and not jump to conclusions.

B. 10 of out 10 didn't jump to that conclusion. I didn't. Of course, given Bergy's history, it pops into your mind, but those of us who are reasonable wait till we have more information before coming to conclusions. This was one piece of information. It was valid and imo factually accurate. Followed later by "He's back." Also valid and factual. If some people choose to react hysterically or otherwise to facts, that's their problem.

It's "incomplete information"?? What do you want, a full medical report? She simply reported what she saw - no speculation or theories. If others jump to unfounded conclusions, again, that's their problem.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH

"Bergy just went to the room. . Followed by the Dr"

My read probably would have been slightly different. I would have made the distinction between Bergeron hanging out in the tunnel for a quick inspection, which happens more often than not, or heading directly to the treatment room (as opposed to dressing/locker room) since he was being trailed by the doc. I don't know if the treatment room is the same as the quiet room, which I thought had been mostly abandoned.

As a side observation, typically players having equipment problems aren't followed down the tunnel by a doctor.

I guess a conversation could be had between the use of the word "a" and "the" but given it was a quick comment provided via a phone, I wouldn't be quibbling over it.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
The doctor part is why people started to get worked up. All that was said was relax because it could be anything. No one called anyone out or anything.

As Marshmont said, if your going to post things be ready for a discussion both positive and negative.

So who was in a tizzy? Who had to relax?

Of course we all realize discussions may ensue. It is, after all, a discussion forum. I just fail to see what was in the least controversial about reporting the facts of what happened.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
So who was in a tizzy? Who had to relax?

Of course we all realize discussions may ensue. It is, after all, a discussion forum. I just fail to see what was in the least controversial about reporting the facts of what happened.

I never said people were in a tizzy first off. Go back and read the GDT, the oh craps and the **** were why relax was used and most certainly not in a negative way. There were no facts reported just a general observation. When you put Bergeron, tunnel and doctor in the same sentence this place gets vey tense.

Keep posting observations but don't state them as fact. That's the issue. No one personally attacked her.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
A. It's someone watching the game and typing into a mobile device while trying to do so. Typing "room" instead of "dressing room" is something 95% of people (pulling that out of my ass, too) would do, and anyone alive in the age of Twitter and texting would realize that and not jump to conclusions.

B. 10 of out 10 didn't jump to that conclusion. I didn't. Of course, given Bergy's history, it pops into your mind, but those of us who are reasonable wait till we have more information before coming to conclusions. This was one piece of information. It was valid and imo factually accurate. Followed later by "He's back." Also valid and factual. If some people choose to react hysterically or otherwise to facts, that's their problem.

It's "incomplete information"?? What do you want, a full medical report? She simply reported what she saw - no speculation or theories. If others jump to unfounded conclusions, again, that's their problem.

A. So typing into a mobile device while watching the game excuses people from report incorrect/incomplete information? I think we've just lowered the standards for everyone who reports using those things. Again, report away, but if it smells funny, people will challenge it.

B. Waiting till we have more information before coming to a conclusion...again "going to the room" was a conclusion made without enough information. You're railing against the very thing you're defending. Again, people can report away on what they see and come to their conclusions, but people will challenge it.

C. No, I don't want a full medical report and never said I did. If someone purports to provide information and cites their proximity to the bench as a source that's all fine and good. Problem was she didn't report simply what she saw. She did not see him go to the neuro room. She saw him head down the tunnel followed by the doctor. That could've been for any number of reasons but as I've said before now a couple times, stating "the room" implies a specific purpose. It's an assumption...speculation, to use your word...so to say no speculation occurred is incorrect. Again, people can report away on what they see and come to their conclusions but if it doesn't make sense, people will challenge it.

Seeing as how I've now repeated myself several times and can't really rephrase the original point any more ways without annoying even myself, if people want to continue the discussion with me, they can via PM.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
A. So typing into a mobile device while watching the game excuses people from report incorrect/incomplete information?

From me, yes. The keyboards can be small and clumsy, and the time it takes to type something comprehensive takes away from the game. Typically short messages are what folks are likely to get and what folks are used to.

B. "going to the room" was a conclusion made without enough information.

No, it wasn't. If you've ever sat near the tunnel, or even if you haven't, you should notice that players will go to the tunnel and spend time there, to adjust equipment, or check equipment, or look at a finger or wrist. Sometimes they go directly to the back, maybe to change a skate blade or get a shoe lace changed. But it usually doesn't require the services of a doctor to correct an equipment malfunction. So if a player disappears down the tunnel followed by a doctor, they are likely going to a room, and more likely than not either the dressing room or a treatment room. That is a rational conclusion given the circumstances.

C. Problem was she didn't report simply what she saw. She did not see him go to the neuro room. She saw him head down the tunnel followed by the doctor. That could've been for any number of reasons but as I've said before now a couple times, stating "the room" implies a specific purpose.

Disagree completely. She stated exactly what she saw. How you interpret it is on you. Maybe next time she says "a" room instead of "the" room. But you seem to be the one drawing the conclusion it was some "neuro" room, whatever that is. I guess you mean "quiet" room, but I would be making perhaps an assumption on what you actually meant?

I for one think she meant down the tunnel to a room with the doctor in tow. Why? Because that's what she said!

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My read probably would have been slightly different. I would have made the distinction between Bergeron hanging out in the tunnel for a quick inspection, which happens more often than not, or heading directly to the treatment room (as opposed to dressing/locker room) since he was being trailed by the doc. I don't know if the treatment room is the same as the quiet room, which I thought had been mostly abandoned.

As a side observation, typically players having equipment problems aren't followed down the tunnel by a doctor.

I guess a conversation could be had between the use of the word "a" and "the" but given it was a quick comment provided via a phone, I wouldn't be quibbling over it.

The trainer called for the Dr to follow Bergy that is why I posted. When a player stops in the tunnel for a look from the trainer or sometimes for equipment problems we can see that. Sometimes they pull the curtain in the tunnel (as they did for Brad the same game) but you can see their feet and know they are still in the tunnel.

We have been sitting there for years and when the player goes all the way down the tunnel and into the locker room it is usually a bad sign...when the Dr (who sits on the other side of the tunnel ...right behind the team) follows we are concerned.

There are a couple of posters that take issue with many things I post so I guess I shouldn' t be surprised about the negative posts.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Susan......don't worry about it.
I appreciate all observations from games I don't attend. Keep em coming.

Seconded. I appreciate all your observations. How everyone interprets them is up to them. Fortunately, he was back playing shortly thereafter, so all's well.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Thanks.

Well most of the B's swear . We hear many things but since I can't even post when someone leaves the game I am sure I would be called a liar if I posted wheat some of the B's say.;)

Most of the B's ignore fans who yell at them. Chara never reacts to fans but once last year a drunk idiot (B's fan) was shouting at him. During a break in play Z was on the ice and just glared at the fool...and then said "Why don't you come down here and say that" ..We couldn't believe it :amazed: The guy was quiet after that...or maybe he was tossed from the game.

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Yes but they would have to hire a bleeper guy and put a delay on the game.

I admit I kind of like a lot of the trash talk-I remember Ference wore a mic during the cup run and he was hilarious. His trash talk they played in game clips was very sarcastic more than obscene but they were in charge of the edit.

I would love to hear Marchand in fullest form.

They would have to bleep out much that is a fact :laugh:

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
It'd be great even to have a separate dedicated audio feed available online for people who want that. Others wouldn't have to hear it if they didn't want to (there just may be a few expletives involved). It could be an extra feature of games, like turning on closed captioning. :laugh:

Biggest understatement EVER.....:laugh:

I would LOVE to hear what is said - never know when you can pick up a new phrase or restructuring of a phrase to add to one's resume...

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
The trainer called for the Dr to follow Bergy that is why I posted. When a player stops in the tunnel for a look from the trainer or sometimes for equipment problems we can see that. Sometimes they pull the curtain in the tunnel (as they did for Brad the same game) but you can see their feet and know they are still in the tunnel.

We have been sitting there for years and when the player goes all the way down the tunnel and into the locker room it is usually a bad sign...when the Dr (who sits on the other side of the tunnel ...right behind the team) follows we are concerned.

There are a couple of posters that take issue with many things I post so I guess I shouldn' t be surprised about the negative posts.

Since Caron has played well beyond expectations and the team is undefeated, some on the board do not currently have any player to rant about. Hence they go looking for something, anything to complain about.

Keep up the in game and post game posting as you give us an extra insight into what's happening / or happened on the Bruins' bench during the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad