GDT: Game 2: Detroit Red Wings @ Boston Bruins - 10/5/13 - 7PM ET - NESN(HD), NHLN, 98.5FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Krug's points are a plus but his defensive play is getting better. He won a number of one on one battles down low.
I'll be honest I thought the Seguin trade maybe the worst move by the Bruins in 30 years. Erikson looks lost out there. I know small sampling so we will see.

Not sure we are watching the same games (grand total of 2 by the way) but Eriksson looks fine-I don't think the line has fully gelled but I don't see Eriksson floating or looking lost-inthinknhe want him to play like Seguin-but his game is different. He drew the penalty that resulted in Krug's goal-he almost had his first goal if not for an amazing and quite lucky save by Howard.

He also isn't afraid of board battles. He's slower and doesn't do the stick work Seguin did but he seems to he playing smart hockey. He isn't flashy and thank god I haven't seen him once try to stick handle through two or more defenders.

Smith turned into being a player useful to the team-he seems fairly smart and he seems to be settling into the system-so while I don't think he is slated to be an amazing top 6 player he is turning into more than a throw in. We have two forwards from that deal in the line up and our third line is hot. It's already looked better than it did at any point last season.

Iginla seems to be engaged-I think the problem is he isn't getting the puck while in a shooting position. He is pretty good on the boards and hits and takes hits. I think that line will only get better-my only complaint is he seems to toe pick a lot.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Anyone think it was odd that Jack was making excuses for the Red Wings last night?

I mean.. technically he's right. It's just weird he would point it out so much, haha

Maybe, but I don't think it's without merit because, as you yourself say, he's right. The Bruins played a kind of tired team and beat them rather handily. It's not exactly the kind of game folks should get overly excited with.

Be glad the Bruins won, of course, but don't come away thinking that they've played the best team Detroit has to offer, you know?

Keep it real!

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
A small sampling is a understatement :laugh: it's TWO games.

Regardless, I'm not even sure what you're watching.. I thought Eriksson has looked strong out there. VERY good on the PK, some great passes out there and great along the boards.

The only "complaint" I have is that that line doesn't have a solid rhythm going yet.. And to be more specific, it seems Marchand and Eriksson aren't on the same page (Bergy and Loui seem locked in though)

I'll start to get concerned if it's 10 games in and he hasn't contributed or still can't find a rhythm with his line mates.. not two.

Wow you must be a pro player with all the incite. I said two game is early but this what you get from a "two way player".

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Anyone think it was odd that Jack was making excuses for the Red Wings last night? A few times he kept reminding us "remember, this is Detroit's 3rd game in 4 nights" and "you can tell they played a late one last night so this isn't indicative of a fully rested Red Wings team!" or something like that.. and then I saw this on twitter:

I mean.. technically he's right. It's just weird he would point it out so much, haha

I tend to agree but people never use that as an excuse for the Bruins losing when having a tough schedule. I think he is trying not to get too excited so early in the season.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Wow you must be a pro player with all the incite. I said two game is early but this what you get from a "two way player".

Admitting that it's early doesn't change the fact that your concerns are extremely premature. Loui Eriksson is known to be one of the premiere two-way wingers in the league.. two games in on a brand new team with a totally different system should ease any concerns you may have.

I understand that's what people do on message boards but sheesh.

Again, bring it back up in 8 more games if he's done nothing in your eyes.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Slept right through the game. Sick as hell. Did we play as well as the score sounds?

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Made a bet with a friend that's a Wings fan before the game. I took a picture in his Lidstrom jersey and he took one in a Bergeron jersey. Loser had to change their Facebook picture for a week.

Whew.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Made a bet with a friend that's a Wings fan before the game. I took a picture in his Lidstrom jersey and he took one in a Bergeron jersey. Loser had to change their Facebook picture for a week.

Whew.

Nice! Lucky for him nobody can feel bad/stupid wearing a Bergy Jersey.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
I know it's just 2 games and the red wings came off playing 3 games out of 4 nights.. But I think this is the best Bruins team that has come out of training camp. We've always had questions regarding the team when starting a season. For years we've said they needed a number 2 d man. A quarterback for the power play. Or they needed to play more consistently ie Horton Peverly Seguin etc etc. Injuries always plagued us. Savard Horton Bergeron and their injury issues were always a concern in building a team. I don't remember a Bruins team that is as solidly put together as the Bruins are this year with guys like Johnson Spooner Bartowski Caron Morrow Svedberg just ready to jump in and play and not lose a beat.

Igilna and Ericksson will only get better and Lucic looks as strong as ever...Kelly looks great... Rask looks worthy of his 7 Mill....Guys came in ready and with the goal of finishing what they started last year.

So far so GREAT.....

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Me too...when he leaves the ice...goes all way down the tunnel to the "room" and the Dr follows I get nervous. Was thrilled to see Bergy return to the ice. I don't think you over reacted...You were just concerned as most B's fans would be.

Sometimes I am not sure I should post some of the stuff I see and hear (and there is much I would not post anyway) because a few here hate when I post things from beside the B's.

I thought most here would want to know anything about Bergy but it seams no matter what I post someone is unhappy that I do . No win for me sometimes.:dunno:

It is not as much fun on this board as it used to be. :(

Post away Lady. Never mind the complainers. Can't please everyone; so please yourself (and the rest of us).

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Slept right through the game. Sick as hell. Did we play as well as the score sounds?

There are things that can be improved on but all in all it was a very good game. IMO B's are looking very good and have players waiting in the wings should someone get injured. I think this will be an excellent season .

Hope you feel better...

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Why is it here that the people who claim to have some kind of inside knowledge are always quick to point it out, and then lament about a message board deteriorating?

It's a message board - they never change - they've always been this way, they'll always be this way. What's worse is people fishing for attention in the form of 'gosh, don't leave us with your super inside secretz knowledge'.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
missed most of the game because i went to the sox... spent most of the time after the b's started checking my phone. baseball is slow. even good games are slow.

sounds like a solid win from what i've read. I'll take it.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Gotta disagree with the sit Thornton idea once Yeti is ready. It's not about who's the most talented player, it's about line chemistry. We have the best 4th line in hockey. They know each other's habits and they're very effective as a unit. Don't mess with that.

Besides, Thorny doesn't have to fight to be effective. Just his presence on the ice will keep other team's cheap-shot artists more honest, and he's good at being sand-papery and getting in opponents' faces. He's a smart player and a good forechecker. A successful team needs different kinds of role players, and Thornton fills an important role on this team.

I think Yeti has more upside than Caron or Smith. He's shown good preseason chemistry with Kelly (and Smith). Caron has been playing well, so has Smith, but if Yeti picks up where he left off when he's healthy, then the decision is Caron or Smith imo. Hard call.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Anyone think it was odd that Jack was making excuses for the Red Wings last night? A few times he kept reminding us "remember, this is Detroit's 3rd game in 4 nights" and "you can tell they played a late one last night so this isn't indicative of a fully rested Red Wings team!" or something like that.. and then I saw this on twitter:

Not to mention, it's less than a week into the start of the season, not an excuse at all at this point.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The excuse that Detroit was exhausted because they played 3 games in 4 nights is a cop out. Boston was the better team and that's that.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Gotta disagree with the sit Thornton idea once Yeti is ready. It's not about who's the most talented player, it's about line chemistry. We have the best 4th line in hockey. They know each other's habits and they're very effective as a unit. Don't mess with that.

Besides, Thorny doesn't have to fight to be effective. Just his presence on the ice will keep other team's cheap-shot artists more honest, and he's good at being sand-papery and getting in opponents' faces. He's a smart player and a good forechecker. A successful team needs different kinds of role players, and Thornton fills an important role on this team.

I think Yeti has more upside than Caron or Smith. He's shown good preseason chemistry with Kelly (and Smith). Caron has been playing well, so has Smith, but if Yeti picks up where he left off when he's healthy, then the decision is Caron or Smith imo. Hard call.
Caron and Smith deserve to play at the moment. I wouldn't sit either one until they have a bad game. It is nice to see we finally have some internal competition amongst the bottom 6.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Not mentioned here from what I`ve read, but I thought Hamilton played a very quiet and steady 20mins too. Krug`s the golden boy now but....

Hamilton may be our stud # 1, in a few years.Krug is the prototypical underdog that everybody wants to see succeed ;a little guy who was a longshot to make the NHL.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Why is it here that the people who claim to have some kind of inside knowledge are always quick to point it out, and then lament about a message board deteriorating?

It's a message board - they never change - they've always been this way, they'll always be this way. What's worse is people fishing for attention in the form of 'gosh, don't leave us with your super inside secretz knowledge'.

First of all, great username!

Secondly, I don't think Ladyfan claims to have insider knowledge, just that she has season tickets that are right beside the B's bench and so she has a prime spot to see what's going on with players, coaches, etc.

I think it's great to have someone be able to report what they're seeing from that vantage point, but apparently others don't. To which I say, pffffft. :)

I guess someone thought she was over-reacting about expressing concern that Bergeron had gone down the tunnel followed by the team doctor? I hadn't even been aware that he had left the bench/ice, so, imo, good reportage LF, and I think any B's fan would be concerned to know that occurred in the game.

Glad Bergy appears to be all right.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Thanks ! I guess I was being "accused" of over reacting but was really just reporting what was going on. I am no insider but because I sit where I do see and hear stuff others don't. Some things I wouldn't post here.

I let the complainers get to me sometimes.

What kinds of things wouldn't you post? :naughty:

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
First of all, great username!

Secondly, I don't think Ladyfan claims to have insider knowledge, just that she has season tickets that are right beside the B's bench and so she has a prime spot to see what's going on with players, coaches, etc.

I think it's great to have someone be able to report what they're seeing from that vantage point, but apparently others don't. To which I say, pffffft. :)

I guess someone thought she was over-reacting about expressing concern that Bergeron had gone down the tunnel followed by the team doctor? I hadn't even been aware that he had left the bench/ice, so, imo, good reportage LF, and I think any B's fan would be concerned to know that occurred in the game.

Glad Bergy appears to be all right.

It's one thing to report the things you see and observe. That's all fine and good.

It's a whole other thing to say whether or not someone's gone to "the room." From my seats (10) I can see them go down the tunnel, but I have no way of knowing if they're going to "the room" or if there's some other medical problem, or if it's even a simple equipment issue. Therefore, if someone asks my opinion from the game (and I wasn't there last night), I'll say they went down the tunnel but I'm not speculating about the cause. For all we know, Bergeron could've had the runs from too much bacon (although I'll maintain there is no such thing as too much bacon.)

We all know what "the room" is for. When a guy with Bergeron's hx goes to "the room" everyone freaks out. Thing is, we don't even know that's where he went. If he went to "the room" he would not have been back as soon as he was. He would've spent more time in there, because an on-site neuro exam and observation takes more time than he spent away from the bench.

That's my problem with this whole overblown issue. It incites (the correct use of that word...people are funny) an unnecessary reaction. People get blasted on places like twitter for making similar assumptions. People should feel free to post away....but they also need to be responsible for the content that they post and understand that if it's based in assumptions that are difficult to prove, they'll get called on it. HF does have standards for posting this kind of information.

That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad