GDT: Game 2: Coyotes @ Senators - 10/18/16 - 4:30 PM

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I don't mind Chychrun sitting and rotating in and out as KConn gets to 100% but I agree, what does McBain add other than handedness? He's more mobile than Z, I'll give him that, but what does he have on Chychrun and Connauton.

Tippett had him on the powerplay for a few shifts against Philadelphia. I think he sticks around until Stone returns, or someone else shows some ability on the right side of the powerplay.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't agree that Dvorak looked lost. He did have a few plays where he tried to pick the pocket of the puck carrier in the neutral zone that he completely missed on, and that led to him being out of position and a little scrambly on the way back into the defensive zone. But I didn't see anything about looking lost or not having NHL speed. He may be hesitating slightly due to the mental side, and that may be what is being perceived as not playing at NHL speed.

It's all about patience with these kids. Dvo, Strome, Crouse and Chychrun are all high end talent but the NHL is the best hockey league in the world.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I've thought McBain has been pretty decent starting in training camp and up till now. Unremarkable to be sure but steady. KConn(especially off injury) + Chychrun has some heart attack potential and perhaps they are trying to play a "road game".

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Disagreed there. I might be the biggest Dvo fan here, but he looked lost for most of 5v5 play. He needs to learn to play at NHL speed and just isn't there yet. I thought he looked pretty good on the PP though

He had a couple questionable plays as do all NHL players, but lost? Not at all. Completely disagree.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I don't agree with sitting DVO and putting Strome in, but whatever. Hopefully Strome plays well.

Does chicken being out have anything to do with his injury? Certainly played well enough. I also wonder, are vets immune to this new sub system? Or if they play poorly will they be sat out in favor of the young guys.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I wanted to stop by to say I was really impressed with Chychrun's assist ! He looks like he's going to be a beast !! I wonder how he went so high in the draft. From the highlight I saw he jumped into the play really well and almost had himself his 1st NHL goal twice.

You guys have a great future and you made out like bandits in the 2016 draft. So much young talent :amazed:.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
I don't mind that Dvo and Chychrun are sitting. Chych mostly because I wouldn't be surprised if he's hiding the extent of injury from that board crash. The personal stakes for him in these games might be high, but they aren't for the team. There's no need to risk the organization's best defensive prospect.

If Dvo and Strome are truly just alternating, then the scratches are expected and it won't destroy confidence.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
He played well enough to be the best player of his line. Rieder didn't have a lot if jump, Duclair didn't look sharp at all.

What? Rieder almost had like 3 breakaways. If there was one thing he wasn't lacking it was jump. Clearly the fastest skater on the ice last game.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Rieder didn't have a lot if jump

Pretty suspect on your part.

Rieder was as fast as ever and was where he needed to be.

I don't mind that Dvo and Chychrun are sitting. Chych mostly because I wouldn't be surprised if he's hiding the extent of injury from that board crash. The personal stakes for him in these games might be high, but they aren't for the team. There's no need to risk the organization's best defensive prospect.

If Dvo and Strome are truly just alternating, then the scratches are expected and it won't destroy confidence.

Dvorak had a dumb turnover that lead to a few minutes of pressure against in the 2nd period. It's not like he played perfect. They're probably more than happy to be collecting an NHL paycheck at this point.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
I'm quickly becoming a big fan of Chychrun, and if he lays out Turris he'll cement his spot as one of my favorite Coyotes only two games into the season.
Let's get back to the most important discussion- How many times does Doan take a run at Turris and flattens him??

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What? Rieder almost had like 3 breakaways. If there was one thing he wasn't lacking it was jump. Clearly the fastest skater on the ice last game.

And I almost won the lottery. I don't think that line in general played very well, but they kind of had an excuse because on that line was a rookie and a player that missed a lot of practice. It was only the first game so I think we have to give the team time to gel. We have like 8 or more new players on this team so we have to give it time.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Let's get back to the most important discussion- How many times does Doan take a run at Turris and flattens him??
Once, only takes one.

The over/under for Blake Wheeler is 3....but that's for another day.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I have to be sneaky and watch this from the office. No way am I missing Strome's debut.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Didn't David Rundblad get a conditioning stint in the A in 2014 despite not being waivers-exempt?

The problem is the Roadrunners play week to week on weekends. Next game is not until Friday and Saturday and then another week off. Conn would be rotting down there...lol.

Disagreed there. I might be the biggest Dvo fan here, but he looked lost for most of 5v5 play. He needs to learn to play at NHL speed and just isn't there yet. I thought he looked pretty good on the PP though

Dvo played well at beginning and then faded. He was not same player as in preseason. Not bad but not as good. He needs to play though. I'm not worried about vets..they are proven players...Reider and Duclair will pick up game. Jury is still out on Dvo and other rooks.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I disagree. In the end the goal is to win games not to insert rookies into top 6 spots who may not even be ready. Dvorak played really well. There's no reason to replace him until he starts to struggle.

I'd say he played well enough, as opposed to really well. Don't see anything wrong with giving Strome a shot at this point and if the intent is to rotate the two, I'm fine with that.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Strome was practicing in Dvo's spot between Rieder and Duke. Sounds like Tippett might be serious about alternating Strome and Dvo. If DT makes this switch despite the teaming having won the last game and Dvo having picked up a point, I think that's a good sign that he's actually thinking about development in addition to same day decisions. Which is obviously encouraging.

Agree with you 100%

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Just noticed Strome is listed at 185 on the official roster. Tied with Rieder for lightest forward. Not much progress from him physically. Could explain him not grabbing a spot.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Just noticed Strome is listed at 185 on the official roster. Tied with Rieder for lightest forward. Not much progress from him physically. Could explain him not grabbing a spot.

Would also explain the idea of him giving him some games off so he can lift like a madman. If that's the reason we're giving him games off that's cool, I just don't like the fact that it HAS to be Dvo he's trading spots with unless he's doing the same I guess.

I'm not sure the heights are weights are accurate though also. I remember someone observing that the weights for many players never change even when they obviously gain or lose weight, but I don't recall where I saw it.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I just don't like the fact that it HAS to be Dvo he's trading spots with unless he's doing the same I guess.

I mostly don't get the they have to play center thing. Most other teams play centers at wing all the time, transition them around, and eventually they settle in at one of them. It's not a problem, playing 30 games at wing ain't gonna hurt nobody.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad