GDT: Game 2: Coyotes @ Senators - 10/18/16 - 4:30 PM

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Put in Strome for Dvorak? Honestly. To even think about it after last game is crazy...
Let him earn a spot in practice or put him on 4th line. No need to force anything here...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Strome was practicing in Dvo's spot between Rieder and Duke. Sounds like Tippett might be serious about alternating Strome and Dvo. If DT makes this switch despite the teaming having won the last game and Dvo having picked up a point, I think that's a good sign that he's actually thinking about development in addition to same day decisions. Which is obviously encouraging.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome was practicing in Dvo's spot between Rieder and Duke. Sounds like Tippett might be serious about alternating Strome and Dvo. If DT makes this switch despite the teaming having won the last game and Dvo having picked up a point, I think that's a good sign that he's actually thinking about development in addition to same day decisions. Which is obviously encouraging.

I think it was you that mentioned Dvo started strong and then was so so. I agree, and with Duke not having a good game I could see DT inserting Strome on that line.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Putting him on the 4th line would very much be forcing something.

I disagree. In the end the goal is to win games not to insert rookies into top 6 spots who may not even be ready. Dvorak played really well. There's no reason to replace him until he starts to struggle.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Dvorak played really well.

Disagreed there. I might be the biggest Dvo fan here, but he looked lost for most of 5v5 play. He needs to learn to play at NHL speed and just isn't there yet. I thought he looked pretty good on the PP though

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
We shall see what happens. The reason I am more impressed with Dvorak at this stage is b/c of how he plays all situations. I don't know how good I would feel about Strome on the PK, unless his FO% was so dominant that we would be able to throw it back the other way and get him off the ice. But if that is my only concern, then it is probably not a huge deciding factor.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Disagreed there. I might be the biggest Dvo fan here, but he looked lost for most of 5v5 play. He needs to learn to play at NHL speed and just isn't there yet. I thought he looked pretty good on the PP though

He played well enough to be the best player of his line. Rieder didn't have a lot if jump, Duclair didn't look sharp at all.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This is game 2 of a 5 rookie season. This is as good a time as any to start Strome. The season won't be on the line until game 5 :sarcasm:

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Chychrun misses a game? I guess I can only hope that this is to see if Connauton is worth keeping over Chychrun. Like I said above, if we're rotating the players, we're wasting valuable time they'd have if sent down to learn.

Juniors only play 68 games IIRC. How many do that have left after 14-18 NHL games where they sit half of them learning nothing?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Maybe Dvo had something to do with that.

So it was Hanzal's mistake Vrbata played so bad? Maybe we should just scratch Hanzal. He scored a goal and an assist but Vrbata really didn't look good.:help:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Chychrun misses a game? I guess I can only hope that this is to see if Connauton is worth keeping over Chychrun. Like I said above, if we're rotating the players, we're wasting valuable time they'd have if sent down to learn.

Juniors only play 68 games IIRC. How many do that have left after 14-18 NHL games where they sit half of them learning nothing?

They have access to much better training equipment and staff in the NHL. Even if they are not playing they are practicing with the best. Obviously at some point if they aren't getting enough games they need to be sent back down, but right now whether they sit or play they are developing. This will be more of a concern if it is ongoing beyond the initial road trip.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Can Chychrun or KConn play the right side?

I'd prefer either of them to McBain.

I don't mind Chychrun sitting and rotating in and out as KConn gets to 100% but I agree, what does McBain add other than handedness? He's more mobile than Z, I'll give him that, but what does he have on Chychrun and Connauton.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So it was Hanzal's mistake Vrbata played so bad? Maybe we should just scratch Hanzal. He scored a goal and an assist but Vrbata really didn't look good.:help:

Dvo started like gangbusters and as the game went on he was so so. Duclair and Rieder both did not play well, so it could be they brought down the play of Dvo or vice versa. As far a Vrbata is concerned, don't get me started.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I don't agree that Dvorak looked lost. He did have a few plays where he tried to pick the pocket of the puck carrier in the neutral zone that he completely missed on, and that led to him being out of position and a little scrambly on the way back into the defensive zone. But I didn't see anything about looking lost or not having NHL speed. He may be hesitating slightly due to the mental side, and that may be what is being perceived as not playing at NHL speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad