GDT: Game 2: Coyotes @ Senators - 10/18/16 - 4:30 PM

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not sure that I disagree with that guy who said our backend was one of the worst in the league.

Tippet needs to scratch Connauton. Goligoski at 4 million is just awkward.

I think after this road trip you will see a reshuffle of the deck. Don't forget, DT gave the kids all kinds of time in preseason and even now he is doing the same thing. We have like 8 new players on this team so it will take some time to find chemistry.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not sure that I disagree with that guy who said our backend was one of the worst in the league.

Tippet needs to scratch Connauton. Goligoski at 4 million is just awkward.

KConn looked terrible be he is coming off a injury. Couldn't they send him down for conditioning?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You saw wrong, considering that weenie Turris wasn't going to do anything more than stick fight.

This team needs Stone badly. And Chychrun back in. Kconn probably gets waived in the hopes someone claims him.

I have said all along that Stone is more valuable to this team than what most are giving him credit for.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah I don't understand why everyone is down on schenn. He's made a few mistakes but overall has been adequate.

He's just out of his depth. When Stone comes back he'll be fine in the third pair. As for KConn, he missed all of camp and came into a game where only OEL, Domi, and Martinook showed up. It was a lousy, sloppy game with sub par team effort and execution. Not exactly a great game for the rusty guy to be quietly sheltered. His rust was exposed by lack of team performance. He'll shape up. I'll say the same for Strome. It was his first ever NHL game. Usually they go like this for rookies and not like they did for Matthews. I agree that Dvorak should cycle back in, but I want to see Strome two more times on this road trip.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I have said all along that Stone is more valuable to this team than what most are giving him credit for.
Stone has been the most underappreciated player on the team for years.

In the meantime, Z should be on the flight to Montreal right now. Can't believe we're playing McBain over him.

Feb 12, 2003
McBain hasn't been good. I'm not at all convinced Michalek would be any better.

Would Z be any worse though? I guess I have more faith in the guy I've seen 100's of games than some new guy on the team. Especially when we are talking team chemistry so much with all of the new additions.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
We have like 8 new players on this team so it will take some time to find chemistry.
This is the closest anyone has come to taking the words out of my mouth.

It's game 2. And preseason games are basically a wash because those didn't feature this 23-man roster familiarizing themselves with each other + the system. Expecting anything more than sloppy, rusty play would have been misguided, I think.

I want Dvo and Strome playing. Get them acclimated, iron out the kinks. Hope that the defense / defensive zone play doesn't defeat them before they find their groove.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That was the worst game I've seen from Martin Hanzal in... well, it may be the worst I've EVER seen him play. Goligoski wasn't very good either.

Liking Dauphin and Crouse, and Martinook is looking strong too. And, incredibly, I find myself not minding Luke Schenn. But I was really missing Chychrun on that third pairing.

As for Smith, I thought he strained a hamstring at first but after seeing the replay it looked like he might have injured his MCL or ACL when he rotated over his knee like that.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Ugly game for certain.

If I understood correctly the team got into Ottawa early on Monday, had a practice and decided against a pre-game skate. I don't think that was a good idea and the nearly complete lack of cohesiveness provides debatable evidence. The pre-game gives the boys a chance to get in sync, provides focus and offers opportunity to do something constructive on the road.

One game of two, there will no doubt be more stinkers, but a shame as it was a chance to make a little hay in the west.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Judt watched the presser. Game 2 and Tippet bemoans the lack of 'execution'.

What else is he supposed to call it? The second goal of the game where the puck kind of pinballs off Hanzal and Connauton just cant get over to make a play while being tied up. Our positioning was fine. We had the right amount of men back to take away scoring chance. We just didn't execute - whether that was staying tied up, Mike Smith not being ready, etc.

The goal that Hanzal just gave away. Right play to make to try and slide the puck cross ice to your open defender, bad execution.

All I can also say is that we look excited as hell when we win, but we look down as hell when we lose. The playoff teams that Tippett coached were always very even-keeled. We knew why we lost and knew why we won. Right now, I don't know if the team comprehends the why and how of winning and losing. It was easy the last two years - we didn't execute and we weren't talented enough. Now, we are talented enough and need to start executing to our fullest potential.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I wonder if Martinook can keep up that performance if he gets increased ice time?

Team is definitely struggling with chemistry. The road trip should help. Thought the team was getting better in the third then Smitty gets injured and Hanzal gifts a goal a few seconds later and the team kind of folded.

I liked Stromes game. Thought he was pretty good positionally. The talent is obvious. He has a great stick (new buzzword in coach talk these days). Still a bit weak. Will get better on faceoffs soon. And he will generate points.

Too many slow guys on the team. Vrbata looks done. Dont get the Whyte signing at all. Crouse will be sent back to OHL when McGinn is ready. Duclair did not really do anything.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Had to tape the game...well here goes

First: White should never see the ice again in a Coyotes uniform. Absolutely turned the momentum back to the Sens with the outrageously stupid penalty after we just scored...completely idiotic and since he doesn't do anything there is absolutely 'zero' reason for him to skate at all. Terrible signing!!!!!!!!!!

Second: Strome was neither good nor bad, you could see the potential which is good.

Third: I am giving KConn a bit of a pass since this was his first game back after the injury, but if he plays like this for any of the next 2 games, he'll find a spot on the bench behind Chychrun who played much better and quite frankly is a better player right now than KConn

Fourth: I like Crouse's game, but he needs to be returned to Jr and likely will when McGinn is healthy

Fifth: Vrbata is done, another bad signing, I know we needed right-handed forwards, but you can tell, he's got nothing.

Sixth: For the love of everything holy please reunite Domi & Duclair

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
Had to tape the game...well here goes

First: White should never see the ice again in a Coyotes uniform. Absolutely turned the momentum back to the Sens with the outrageously stupid penalty after we just scored...completely idiotic and since he doesn't do anything there is absolutely 'zero' reason for him to skate at all. Terrible signing!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't like White either, but just last game he won the game belt from Doaner. That 4th line is supposed to be grit and while White had bad moments, he was in their face. At one point calling out Phaneuf for a fight?! That's his wheelhouse.

Fourth: I like Crouse's game, but he needs to be returned to Jr and likely will when McGinn is healthy
I'm looking forward to seeing McGinn. Crouse looked good and was winning fights for the puck. Looked like a less-developed Martinook last night.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Max Domi's Performance?

him and Martinook have been our best players in the first 2 games. Domi has been playing his @$$ off, has had some nice 1on1 moves, creating chances and possessions in the offensive zone with his speed. Duclair has been invisible, conversely.

Regarding Strome, it's way too early to really criticize him too much like others have said. Still, I basically kept my eye on him whenever he was on the ice last night, sometimes just watching him the entire shift rather than paying as much attention to who had the puck, lol. just from his first game, I thought that he was very good defensively, he was making responsible positional plays and backchecking to break up plays. Offensively, I don't think his positioning was as good. I don't play ice, only roller, so it's harder for me to explain in exact terms, but when we were breaking the puck out, he was too close to the defenseman trying to break the puck out, and was circling back too far. As soon as the first pass was made, usually to a winger because Strome was too close to our own goalie, he was behind the play, and since he isn't the fastest, he was like 1 second too late to get properly involved in the play. I'm not sure that this happened every single shift, but it's something that I did notice a few times.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Erie fan here,
The team looks good again in Erie. Skill and speed wise but it's a young unit. We all feel like if Strome came back we are deeper and faster than last year with far more skill. We looked at him as 50/50 this year to return with his biggest faults being his size/physicality and skating. Defensive play as well but every junior player has that issue. In my view he could certianly make the team all year but wouldn't be able to last physically all year so would have to given nights off and play a 3rd/4th line role. If he was a late first or early second round pick (like Dvorak) he would be returned to Junior but I think the pressure is there as the 3rd overall pick to keep him with the team. Dvorak came back one more year of junior and went from a good play to great after 100+ point season in his 3rd season with the Knights. I personally think Strome hasn't outgrown ohl and although he has the skill he wasn't very consistent every night last year and really stunk in the playoffs. Can't just look at stats for CHL because if you are skilled you will dominate that department but he wasn't as good as Marner or Dvorak or even a few others last year

Not sure what's best for his development though and long term mentality but I do think he's a late bloomer type of play and will take longer than people expect until he hits his stride in NHL

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I think that the biggest reason why we put Strome in the NHL this year is so that he could work on his skating with Dawn Braid. She is going to be huge to his future development

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Erie fan here,
The team looks good again in Erie. Skill and speed wise but it's a young unit. We all feel like if Strome came back we are deeper and faster than last year with far more skill. We looked at him as 50/50 this year to return with his biggest faults being his size/physicality and skating. Defensive play as well but every junior player has that issue. In my view he could certianly make the team all year but wouldn't be able to last physically all year so would have to given nights off and play a 3rd/4th line role. If he was a late first or early second round pick (like Dvorak) he would be returned to Junior but I think the pressure is there as the 3rd overall pick to keep him with the team. Dvorak came back one more year of junior and went from a good play to great after 100+ point season in his 3rd season with the Knights. I personally think Strome hasn't outgrown ohl and although he has the skill he wasn't very consistent every night last year and really stunk in the playoffs. Can't just look at stats for CHL because if you are skilled you will dominate that department but he wasn't as good as Marner or Dvorak or even a few others last year

Not sure what's best for his development though and long term mentality but I do think he's a late bloomer type of play and will take longer than people expect until he hits his stride in NHL
His play (and the team's play) over the next 2 weeks will dictate the decision. He played OK last night....unlike most of his teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad