Game 2 - Canada (QMJHL all stars) vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
sevenSteen said:
Nope, Anton played exceptionally well today. He rarely gave up the rebounds like he did yesterday, and always looked in position to stop the shot. Should be a solid backup at the least in the NHL if he focuses more on the fundamentals.

Voloshenko had another strong game. He really knows how to shoot a puck.

That's good, because we definitely need another goaltender to push Harding (though Harding is coming into his own quiet nicely without anyone pushing him). I think the fundmentals should come with some years in the AHL and an occasional call up to the NHL, if he does come over. The big IF.

But I am really liking what I'm hearing from Voloshenko. Our three biggest picks have been in the second round with Harding, O'Sullivan, and now Voloshenko.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
^ That can be worked on I believe in the AHL and in the NHL, and will come with time, hopefully. It might be a confidence issue that he isn't confident with the puck at full speed or just another issue all together. Hopefully he'll get that worked out when he gets where because from the sounds of it, he sounds like a dangerous weapon.

Gaborik - O'Sullivan - Voloshenko in 2006?

Well, I was proud to have drafted a guy like Voloshenko in the 2nd round tonight. IMO he's gonna make it to the NHL without too many difficulties. But his skills are still very raw. With his shots (wrist, slap), he won't have any problem to score 25-30 goals a year in the NHL.

And your biggest pick was in the 1st round. PM Bouchard. I'm telling you ;)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I have heard his skills are raw and that he is going to be similiar to Koivu with a stint in the AHL, but the Wild are starving for goal scorers and Voloshenko should fit in nicely. I think he'll pan out to be a top 6 forward easily.

Bouchard is finally coming into his own in the AHL, where he should've been all along. Koivu is coming along okay, the occasional injury that occurs once a year popped up but he rebounded very nicely with another assist tonight.

Wild and Preds are building up some tough teams :D

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Evman said:
For some reason that doesn't surprise me.

:loony:

Yes I know...god forbid anyone show some emotion after scoring a goal :shakehead...especially a Russian :speechles

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
I have heard his skills are raw and that he is going to be similiar to Koivu with a stint in the AHL, but the Wild are starving for goal scorers and Voloshenko should fit in nicely. I think he'll pan out to be a top 6 forward easily.

Bouchard is finally coming into his own in the AHL, where he should've been all along. Koivu is coming along okay, the occasional injury that occurs once a year popped up but he rebounded very nicely with another assist tonight.

Wild and Preds are building up some tough teams :D

You probably have seen Bouchard play, so by comparision, him and Voloshenko have the same "problem". They stop skating with the puck. Their skating are very similar, if it helps you...

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Evman said:
Taking off your glove and "shhhhing" the crowd is not emotion. It's being a cocky pr***.

Actually, it is emotion. Most of these Russian players are playing their first games in NA and it shouldn't be surprising that they are just thrilled after scoring a goal. It's not like they are getting down to their knees and gliding to the other side of the rink after scoring a goal. Stuff like this happens in junior hockey all the time. It's called intimidating the opponent.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
fredez said:
Are you saying the Q' was not physical enough in today's game ?
No, but the the O and W leagues have more physical players, and the style of play is more physical.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
sevenSteen said:
Actually, it is emotion. Most of these Russian players are playing their first games in NA and it shouldn't be surprising that they are just thrilled after scoring a goal. It's not like they are getting down to their knees and gliding to the other side of the rink after scoring a goal. Stuff like this happens in junior hockey all the time. It's called intimidating the opponent.

You have to remember, you're talking to someone who thought that Alexander Korolyuk deserved to have the crap beat out of him for scoring an empty-net goal in the playoffs. :joker:

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002
handtrick said:
Official Match stars:

RUS - Radulov, Alexander
LHJ - Pouliot, Marc-Antoine
RUS - Khudobin, Anton

Anybody that saw the game, disagree with these?
Bourret was better than Pouliot
S.Bernier is awesome.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
colonel_korn said:
You have to remember, you're talking to someone who thought that Alexander Korolyuk deserved to have the crap beat out of him for scoring an empty-net goal in the playoffs. :joker:

Seriously. If the shoe were on the other foot, everyone would be talking about "how much enthusiasm *insert Canadian player here* has for the game! Boys will be boys!" I personally love showboats. Kovalchuk's "every goal is a cup winner" routine makes me chuckle every time.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Those Q boys really need to learn some moves on the breakaway...
That was sad.

On the other hand.. Radulov looks like a player. Nashville fans should be happy... Get a little flash into that lineup :)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
nomorekids said:
Seriously. If the shoe were on the other foot, everyone would be talking about "how much enthusiasm *insert Canadian player here* has for the game! Boys will be boys!" I personally love showboats. Kovalchuk's "every goal is a cup winner" routine makes me chuckle every time.

That is complete BS. In Canada a junior show boat is just as much of a cocky pr!ck as that Russian kid was tonight. It doesn't matter which shoe the foot is on.

Look how Don Cherry treated Crosby when he scored a showboat goal. He ripped him up and down in front of a national audience. And what Crosby did was nowhere near the level of what the Russian did tonight. Skating a lap around the rink with your glove off doing the 'Shh' sign to the entire crowd is not enthusiasm. It was meant to embarrass the opposition. Totally classless and if a Canadian player did it I'd feel the exact same way.

I don't mind what Kovalchuk does at all, that is born out of his spur of the moment excitement, it's not meant to poke fun at others.

Your pathetic blanket statement is unfounded, uneducated and I sure as heck don't need you telling me how I would interpret things I see happening on the ice.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Don_Cherry said:
That is complete BS. In Canada a junior show boat is just as much of a cocky pr!ck as that Russian kid was tonight. It doesn't matter which shoe the foot is on.

Look how Don Cherry treated Crosby when he scored a showboat goal. He ripped him up and down in front of a national audience. And what Crosby did was nowhere near the level of what the Russian did tonight. Skating a lap around the rink with your glove off doing the 'Shh' sign to the entire crowd is not enthusiasm. It was meant to embarrass the opposition. Totally classless and if a Canadian player did it I'd feel the exact same way.

I don't mind what Kovalchuk does at all, that is born out of his spur of the moment excitement, it's not meant to poke fun at others.

Your pathetic blanket statement is unfounded, uneducated and I sure as heck don't need you telling me how I would interpret things I see happening on the ice.

You weren't upset when Kovalchuk pounded his fist as he shot the puck into the empty net when the Russians defeated Canada?

fidette

Mar 18, 2004
Montreal, Qc
paxtang said:
Any opinions on Cabana, Laliberte and Picard?

Laliberte played a great game. Good shot, some good hits.

Picard (it was the D and the not Alex Picard of the MaineIacs). He played ok. He seems to have difficulty to take the good decision on PP as he often take the early shot while being pressed and those shots where blocked by the guy pressing him or weak. But overall he was ok.

Cabana, didn't remark anything special. Played well.

SPARTAKUS*

evman relax my man!!! they're just kids. i don't see nothing wrong with that. c'mon it's just a game they're having fun don't be such a sore looser. :shakehead

fidette

Mar 18, 2004
Montreal, Qc
Evman said:
Yes. I'm crushed a Q all star team got beaten.

I'm going to cry myself to sleep.

Well I would say that it wasn't a "Q all star team" we saw tonigh. We were without our two best players (Crosby and Picard). It was some of the best. They tried to represent every team equally.

And i'm not crushed at all, it was a show and we got a good game with great goals and very good hits. No matters who wins.

espo*

nomorekids said:
You weren't upset when Kovalchuk pounded his fist as he shot the puck into the empty net when the Russians defeated Canada?
I was pissed,the guy was acting like an idiot,i would'nt have been happy with a canuck player doing it either.It's not the hockey way.I don't mind celebrating it but doing some mambo dance on your way to scoring an open net goal is garbage.The only way i could let it slide is if it was a championship game and that goal was icing on the cake for you winning it.Other then that,it's garbage,i don't care what countries player does it.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I was at the game and I liked it a lot. There's one thing I gotta say, the team that gets Bourret gets one heck of a player. IMO, he's a can't miss prospect.

SPARTAKUS*

cyclops said:
I was pissed,the guy was acting like an idiot,i would'nt have been happy with a canuck player doing it either.It's not the hockey way.I don't mind celebrating it but doing some mambo dance on your way to scoring an open net goal is garbage.The only way i could let it slide is if it was a championship game and that goal was icing on the cake for you winning it.Other then that,it's garbage,i don't care what countries player does it.

it's not the hockey way?? what is the hockey? the canadian way?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
personally, i think the whole hug-and-a-handshake approach to hockey is kind of boring. it's admirable in a way, but i love the blood and guts rivalry much more..and part of that is some drama\theatrics. if you're playing in front of an opposing crowd that is likely jeering you\trying to knock you off your game...i see nothing with rubbing it in a bit. i was once benched for pointing at the scoreboard(we were winning 5-1 late in the third) after some kids from the school we were playing yelled some stuff at me. when you're on the ice, you can get caught up. everyone is human, and i don't see anything wrong with it.

espo*

OTTSENS said:
it's not the hockey way?? what is the hockey? the canadian way?
Well,you could say that but it's not only us,other hockey nations believe in following the accepted standards of the game and that's one of them.It's fine if you don't have a problem with it but if i were you and you play your hockey in North America anywhere i certainly would'nt try that material in your league or you'll find out in a hurry that it was the wrong decision.No-one will forget that,they will run you and try to take your head off for the rest of your days there.Give it a shot if you want but i don't think you'll like the results.In an arena in Moose Jaw or South Boston...you take your pick and give it a whirl and come back to let me know how the experiment went.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
I dont see how some of you said pouliot was awesome last night but not this night. I thought he played extremely well tonight. He had alot of nice moves tonight, he set bernier up in tight with a nice saucer pass and showed signs of moving his feet tonight and fighting in the corners. I think he will be a decent player down the road, he went forward off one faceoff which was nice to see, almost got a partial break off it. I like him as a centerman, the coach put him out at the end of the 1st when there was 2.5 seconds left to take the draw too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad