GDT: Game 2: Blues at Predators 1/21/13 at 5:00 CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
I'm glad the Blues won this won, with the "Handling the Puck" call on Pietrangelo and the phantom interference on Shattenkirk, had the Blues lost, this post would be about 17 times longer and 100 times more angry.

To paraphrase my favorite band:

"Cinderella team,
hang on to your plans.
Try as they might,
they can not steal your points."

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
So i have Halak as my one and only goaltender. The shutout would seal his job I thought. Am I in a load of trouble? (Fantasy Wise)

I wouldn't look to much into it. He wasn't very sharp but neither was the team. I would look at this more as something to light a fire under the team mid game.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I wouldn't look to much into it. He wasn't very sharp but neither was the team. I would look at this more as something to light a fire under the team mid game.

Hope this is the case. Always thought Halak was the go to guy despite Elliots accolades.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Even with the rough game, I still think Halak is the more skilled goalie. Halak seems to make some of the "easy" saves look way difficult, but then again, he makes some insane saves. Elliott makes saves look easy, but doesn't make as many "highlight" reel saves. Then again, he does make a lot of very difficult saves look easy.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I was not a fan of Petro not playing during the lockout. You can definitely tell the guys that played during the lockout. Oddly enough, I thought Polak/Russell was our best defensive pairing. They were excellent together. They just complement each other so well.

I didn't want Petro playing in Peoria, I don't think it would have helped him and it is bad enough when NHL idiots target him. I would have liked to have seen him go to Scandinavia though. In 7-10 days it won't matter, he'll be back up to speed.

Agree on Russell and Polák. Going to be interesting to see what kind of contract Russell is going to get in the summer, because Hitch is a big fan and it is easy to see why.

h22prelude93

Jan 27, 2010
St.Louis, Mo
Tarasenko continues to live up to the hype. Strong start for Shattenkirk as well with four assists. Not the prettiest win, but we'll take em however we can get em. Should be a tough game tomorrow night against the Hawks.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I hope Perron stops being an idiot and taking unnecessary penalties, there will be times where we're gonna need a goal from a sniper like him.

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
Since mid-season last year, I have had a lot more confidence with Elliott in than Halak. Is he our #1 just because of his contract or what?

Russell was really good again, Polak though had some foolish chips and passes in our zone.

Sobotka was the best player on the ice, he and Nichol are amazing as a duo and Reaves had some great energy, good positioning using his size to keep the puck trapped behind the Preds net.

I wonder if Perron thought he was going to be the Blues 'star' player and now that Tarasenko's here, he's pressing too hard. That said, I thought he looked a little better towards the end of the game.

Not a huge fan of Oshie and Backes on the same line. Not sure how I'd mix it up but I feel like our first line is a glorified checking line. They aren't the same player but I am not sure they complement each other. I guess if Perron starts to be the finisher, it might change my mind.

Oh, and that Tarasenko kid is pretty good.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
a nail-biter in true blues-preds fashion. I thought petro was having a rough game early, glad he turned it around towards the end. Thought steen and sobotka looked solid up front, and obviously tarasenko and mcdonald. let's do it again tomorrow!

I'm glad the Blues won this won, with the "Handling the Puck" call on Pietrangelo and the phantom interference on Shattenkirk, had the Blues lost, this post would be about 17 times longer and 100 times more angry.

To paraphrase my favorite band:

"Cinderella team,
hang on to your plans.
Try as they might,
they can not steal your points."

classic-rock-presents-rush-07.2012-69-s.jpg

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Since mid-season last year, I have had a lot more confidence with Elliott in than Halak. Is he our #1 just because of his contract or what?

From mid-season on last year Halák was clearly the superior goalie. Not a knock on Elliott, who was great last season and again tonight, but he'll still have to prove himself clearly better than Jaro if he wants to be starting game 1 of the playoffs.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
I hope Perron stops being an idiot and taking unnecessary penalties, there will be times where we're gonna need a goal from a sniper like him.

Yeah, as many grievances as I had with the officiating tonight, the call on Perron wasn't one of them. He had a few in the Detroit game too, and they're usually very bad penalties to take.

a nail-biter in true blues-preds fashion. I thought petro was having a rough game early, glad he turned it around towards the end. Thought steen and sobotka looked solid up front, and obviously tarasenko and mcdonald. let's do it again tomorrow!

Sobotka seemed pretty slow on that potential break on the PK. Either skate harder or else just dump it and go for the change. Was he particularly gassed on that shift or something? Just so slow!

Man, with glasses, it took me a minute to figure out for sure who that was.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Thoughts on the game and season so far. Tarasenko is just what I had thought he was and hoped. He will become a great player. He is a goal scorer (at ANY level). He and Andy McDonald and Steen already have lots of good chemistry (especially considering they had only a few practises together before starting the season). Think of how they'll be clicking after 10 more games.

Pietrangelo, Perron, Halak (only 1 game) and the other players who did NOT play in The AHL or Europe are rusty, and need to get back their timing. The "ready" Blues will need to carry them for a few more games.

Detroit playing so poorly in Game 1, hurt The Blues in this game. They weren't really mentally prepared to have close competition. They got a wake-up call and it only cost them a 3rd point to The Preds (which, I believe, will not come back to hurt them). That wake-up call will help them be ready to play The Hawks in Chicago, tomorrow (their toughest test so far this season).

Ian Cole has made a few errors. But, overall, he has looked very poised and good. He's ready to hold down a Top 4 job. He hasn't looked out of place. Redden will just be a fill-in in a 5-man rotation in the bottom 5 defence positions, so Jackman can get his rest, and the others can stay fresh, and he'll fill in for injuries.

Stewart has looked good on both sides of the puck, and in all zones. Maybe he can be the forward we hoped we had gotten in the trade, and not be traded off.

Berglund, Oshie, Steen all look better with the puck than last season, and look like they'll be better finishers. Nice to see oshie and Steen both score on Rinne in the shootout. Not even getting to Tarasenko, Perron and McDonald in the shootout and still winning it is a VERY good sign. With Tarasenko added, and the young forwards ALL having one more year of shooting experience, and looking better bodes well for The Blues' chances to win more shootouts (one of their few weaknesses last season).

Elliott coming in cold, and playing so well under fire, is impressive, and a good sign.

Schwartz has looked decent on the ice. He's improving steadily. He'll be contributing more and more as we go through the season.

This young team will get better and better once the players who didn't play Oct.-Dec. start getting their timing back, and as Tarasenko and Schwartz and Redden get integrated into the team.

I look for great things this season (as the first in a long line of Stanley Cup competitive teams).

Russell, Shattenkirk and Polak have looked very good so far. The team is gelling quite well.

Last edited:

danglzzz

Mar 2, 2011
Other than Tarasenko I've been most impressed with Kris ******* Russell over the first two games. Cole was also VERY impressive as well.

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
From mid-season on last year Halák was clearly the superior goalie. Not a knock on Elliott, who was great last season and again tonight, but he'll still have to prove himself clearly better than Jaro if he wants to be starting game 1 of the playoffs.

Halak allows more soft goals--I thought goals 1 and 3 tonight were awful--and has games where he's clearly not in it. I feel like Elliott is more consistent. I don't get to watch all the games up here though so I'll bow to your experience. But I might get the package this season...

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Is that Alex Lifeson? LOL

Great to hear McDonald is okay...That would have put a hold on Tarasenko's Calder bid.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
Im not sure if it was mentioned when it happened, but did anyone see when Frank threw Weber to the ground after launching Steen? I give him major respect for that and I bet he will gain more in the locker room.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I didn't want Petro playing in Peoria, I don't think it would have helped him and it is bad enough when NHL idiots target him. I would have liked to have seen him go to Scandinavia though. In 7-10 days it won't matter, he'll be back up to speed.

Agree on Russell and Polák. Going to be interesting to see what kind of contract Russell is going to get in the summer, because Hitch is a big fan and it is easy to see why.

I didn't want him in Peoria either. I just wanted him playing. I know it is likely that in a week or so he'll be back up to speed, but in a shortened season like this you can't really afford to have your best players playing catch up.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
I'm starting to think Berglund couldn't score in an open net....with no one else on the ice. The guy has unbelievable stick handling and puck possession skills but man the guy has no luck finishing.

Tarasenko is amazing and Schwartz is playing well, he reminds me of a mini Jonathan toews with his all around game. I guess as of right now Perron is the only player in my dog house but he has way to much talent to not break out soon.

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
Glad McDonald is OK too. Been wondering about that. Was nervous for the shoot-out, predicted Oshie would go up first and thought he was our best chance. Very pleased with a win; agree not the prettiest, but a win is a win. Hope they are rested and ready for tomorrow.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Halak allows more soft goals--I thought goals 1 and 3 tonight were awful--and has games where he's clearly not in it. I feel like Elliott is more consistent. I don't get to watch all the games up here though so I'll bow to your experience. But I might get the package this season...

This is all true. But, despite the fact that Halak allows more soft goals, and Elliott is more consistent, I think Halak still is the better overall, and can steal more games than Elliott. Halak needs to be the #1 goalie in the money games (including the key playoff games. So, he shouldn't lose #1 status during the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad