GDT: Game 2: Blues at Predators 1/21/13 at 5:00 CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Tarasenko also was extremely excited on Stewart's goals in the Detroit game. He might look more excited when other people score than when he does. But either way I love his passion and excitement, it's fun to watch.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
Tarasenko also was extremely excited on Stewart's goals in the Detroit game. He might look more excited when other people score than when he does. But either way I love his passion and excitement, it's fun to watch.

It is true

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Thoughts on the game:

- Its pretty cool to have a dynamic rookie on the team that is getting league-wide notice.

- I thought Hithcock pulled Halak not so much for Halak's sake as for a wake-up call that the team needed to play better. Nice that Elliott was ready to play. (That 3rd goal was pretty weak by Jaro, but I think the team got the message when he was pulled.)

- Anyone notice who was on the ice for the 3rd goal equalizer late in the third? Cole, Pietro, Schwartz, Tarasenko...and someone else. All 3 rookies in during a crucial situation. I just loved the trust from Hitchcock. He's not babying anyone out there. No one is getting sheltered minutes. The team is like a bunch of Legos he just plugging different guys in.

- Pietro didn't have a very good game, at least the first half of the game. The first goal was 100% his fault.

- Players who look rusty: Perron is top of that list. McDonald also looked pretty gassed in the 3rd period.

- Berglund was strong with the puck tonight. Very inspiring. The line wasn't clicking quite as well, and there were a few miscommunications, but no one could take the puck from him. I have high hopes for that line.

- Sobotka and Nichol both played huge. I don't see how you can take either guy out of the line-up. Reaves didn't play poorly, but I do think he'll sit soon in favor of Langenbrunner. It has more to do with the fact that Langenbrunner needs to get a game in than anything bad from Reaves.

- Who the heck do you sit for Redden to play? Jackman? I thought Jackman, Shattenkirk, Russell, Polak....they all played pretty sound games. To be honest, I think Pietro's defensive lapses were the most costly tonight. I say maybe Jackman sits just to rest him. (Odds are we'll here that someone is 'dinged up' a bit and they'll sit.) But its hard to see how Hitchcock is going to manage this rotation.

- Woywitka as the 8th defenseman is the kind of depth I wanted to see. Porter as a call-up available in Peoria is another good indicator of quality depth.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Anyone think there's a chance Perron sits the next game and D'Agostini takes his spot?

(Not sure that's exactly what's needed. Perron needs to play his way back into form. But the penalties are hurting.)

SoulChaser17

Dec 17, 2011
St. Louis
I don't think there's a chance, but I wouldn't mind such a decision. I've never had much of a good opinion on D'Agostini, but with how Perron has been these last couple games I don't see how the change could hurt. Although he's not really fit for the first line.

Then again I think our second line is without a doubt the best right now, so whatever.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I've scanned only a chunk of this thread, but a lot of the same stuff is being said and I agree with most of it.

Pietro's first half was off bigtime, but he really pulled it together in the third period and OT. He was running on adrenaline in the first game and even though Detroit didn't challenge much, he made some really nice defensive plays. He's never been the kind of guy who has consecutive so-so performances, but it could be a grind through the next five to ten games for him, Perron, Backes, and maybe Oshie to look more like themselves. I'm not concerned, but it's real.

Speaking of that line: Perron is definitely rusty, but I don't think it's as bad as some folks are saying. He looked dangerous and aggressive at times early and the Predators are a team whose checking prowess can really put a guy off his game. I'm honestly more concerned with his penalties than anything, and I'm not that concerned about that. Like Stewart, a powerplay goal will give him some spark, hopefully sooner than later.

Oshie looks faster this year. A little out of rhythm, even with three points in game one. Man, do I ever want to see him shoot the puck more. Show him tape of Tarasenko getting open.

The great thing about Backes is that even when he looks ineffective offensively, his defense doesn't sag. Late last year, he wasn't hitting like he has been this year. Dude is on a mission and a short season could benefit him a lot, now that I think about it, so that he isn't as worn down from his physical play when the playoffs begin.

I'm a Cole fan and he looks better than I expected. Really hope he keeps it up. In fact, at this point, if they're adding Redden into the lineup, sit a forward and play seven D. Cole will benefit more from consistency. We'll see how he looks on the second of back-to-backs against a very dangerous team, though.

Really liked Russell's play. Every time he makes an aggressive risk, it pays off because he's well-positioned and fast enough that the risks appear greater all the way up to execution.

Steen is more noticeable on wing, but he's just fine at center. Love that line.

Berglund, Polak, Jackman, and Sobotka have been warriors so far. I desperately hope these guys are healthy come playoff time.

And since the only defenseman I haven't mentioned is Shatty, I'll go ahead and say that his play suddenly seems years more mature. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think I've seen him cover for his teammates defensively more, taking control of plays that have disrupted the Blues' composure in their own zone. Maybe it's something more...regardless, it seems like the Blues might be poised to cross that threshold of defensive ascendance - they have one of the best defenses, but there were still times last year when two or three of Jackman, Colaiacovo, and Huskins would look lost, while Polak and Shattenkirk would be fine, but unremarkable; meaning that Pietro was the only standout. I think we're seeing a glimmer that two, three, or even more defensemen could have great games on any and every night.

Last edited:

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
I thought pietro looked very sloppy early, especially on that first goal, but I guess even the great one's make a bad play every once in a while. I'm just glad we have two young players who always seem to know where the puck is going to be.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
I've scanned only a chunk of this thread, but a lot of the same stuff is being said and I agree with most of it.

Pietro's first half was off bigtime, but he really pulled it together in the third period and OT. He was running on adrenaline in the first game and even though Detroit didn't challenge much, he made some really nice defensive plays. He's never been the kind of guy who has consecutive so-so performances, but it could be a grind through the next five to ten games for him, Perron, Backes, and maybe Oshie to look more like themselves. I'm not concerned, but it's real.

Speaking of that line: Perron is definitely rusty, but I don't think it's as bad as some folks are saying. He looked dangerous and aggressive at times early and the Predators are a team whose checking prowess can really put a guy off his game. I'm honestly more concerned with his penalties than anything, and I'm not that concerned about that. Like Stewart, a powerplay goal will give him some spark, hopefully sooner than later.

Oshie looks faster this year. A little out of rhythm, even with three points in game one. Man, do I ever want to see him shoot the puck more. Show him tape of Tarasenko getting open.

The great thing about Backes is that even when he looks ineffective offensively, his defense doesn't sag. Late last year, he wasn't hitting like he has been this year. Dude is on a mission and a short season could benefit him a lot, now that I think about it, so that he isn't as worn down from his physical play when the playoffs begin.

I'm a Cole fan and he looks better than I expected. Really hope he keeps it up. In fact, at this point, if they're adding Redden into the lineup, sit a forward and play seven D. Cole will benefit more from consistency. We'll see how he looks on the second of back-to-backs against a very dangerous team, though.

Really liked Russell's play. Every time he makes an aggressive risk, it pays off because he's well-positioned and fast enough that the risks appear greater all the way up to execution.

Steen is more noticeable on wing, but he's just fine at center. Love that line.

Berglund, Polak, Jackman, and Sobotka have been warriors so far. I desperately hope these guys are healthy come playoff time.

And since the only defenseman I haven't mentioned is Shatty, I'll go ahead and say that his play suddenly seems years more mature. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think I've seen him cover for his teammates defensively more, taking control of plays that have disrupted the Blues' composure in their own zone. Maybe it's something more...regardless, it seems like the Blues might be poised to cross that threshold of defensive ascendance - they have one of the best defenses, but there were still times last year when two or three of Jackman, Colaiacovo, and Huskins would look lost, while Polak and Shattenkirk would be fine, but unremarkable; meaning that Pietro was the only standout. I think we're seeing a glimmer that two, three, or even more defensemen could have great games on any and every night.

:handclap: Agree completely w/ just about everything.

Man, I'm glad hockey's back! Couldn't be more excited for the Blues.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I wonder if Alexander Steen ever will be considered a better player than his father, Thomas, maybe? ;-)

Alexander is perhaps the best third line center in the NHL?

The way I understand, what I've seen and heard they are/were pretty similar type of players.

Intelligent allround players, great vision and strong at both ends of the ice.

Stats of Thomas Steen.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8451697

148147185_1.jpg

A nice goal here, good stickhandling (highlight goal number 4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x4QDOTKYzU

A fun fight. ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Smw-hwKTE

Emotional moment for Captain Thomas Steen, I guess Alexander being 9 year old? ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9R0kG6LiRM

Last edited:

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Petros game was noticeably off last night. Far too aggressive, caught flat footed. He was on the ice for all 3 goals against. Still, he has a lethal shot and is our best breakout passer. Just needs to shake the rust off

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I wonder if Alexander Steen ever will be considered a better player than his father, Thomas, maybe? ;-)

Alexander is perhaps the best third line center in the NHL?

The way I understand, what I've seen and heard they are/were pretty similar type of players.

Intelligent allround players, great vision and strong at both ends of the ice.

Stats of Thomas Steen.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8451697

148147185_1.jpg

A nice goal here, good stickhandling (highlight goal number 4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x4QDOTKYzU

A fun fight. ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Smw-hwKTE

Emotional moment for Captain Thomas Steen, I guess Alexander being 9 year old? ;-)
Alex still has a ways to go, he is fantastic player to have, but he has yet to put together more than a few solid seasons overall. I think he is a player that will age pretty well, but he would need a really good second half of his career to pass his dad IMO

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Alex still has a ways to go, he is fantastic player to have, but he has yet to put together more than a few solid seasons overall. I think he is a player that will age pretty well, but he would need a really good second half of his career to pass his dad IMO

Kind of cool, 2:15 in the clip just starting his speach "Tie Domie told me to do this, bring some water he said. uh... I don't know where to start... again... this is something everybody should go through... it's tough but it's worth it." etc, etc ;-)

9 year old Alexander at 5:15-5:35. ;-)

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
"He said 'In about a week or so, I gotta' find a job!'"

He is currently a City Councillor in Winnipeg.

Yes! I have no idea about his politics or if he is doing a good job or not though. ;-)

Sweden have a very different political system than North America but our system is definately much closer to Canada than the USA, that's for sure.

Thomas is from time to time romoured for new coaching jobs in Sweden. I believe last stint in Sweden was 2010 as assistant coach for Modo 2010 (hometeam of Peter Forsberg, Mats Näslund and many other NHLers).

There have been some rumours about Färjestad. I know he is a good friend of Håkan Loob (Stanley Cup winner for Flames, now GM in Färjestad).

Interesting about Thomas Steen

"A 1990 poll of NHL players named him as the league's most underrated player"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Steen

>Just like his son Alexander who I think is increadibly underrated as well?

Why?? Perhaps it's because they are very unselfish players focusing on creating plays for others?

Alexander mostly playing on the third line is another reason which sometimes feels a bit weird. The Blues are loaded with talent though.

Alexander is definately one of the top third line players in the league, I guess we can all agree upon that. ;-)

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Yes! I have no idea about his politics or if he is doing a good job or not though. ;-)

Sweden have a very different political system than North America but our system is definately much closer to Canada than the USA, that's for sure.

Thomas is from time to time romoured for new coaching jobs in Sweden. I believe last stint in Sweden was 2010 as assistant coach for Modo 2010 (hometeam of Peter Forsberg, Mats Näslund and many other NHLers).

There have been some rumours about Färjestad. I know he is a good friend of Håkan Loob (Stanley Cup winner for Flames, now GM in Färjestad).

Interesting about Thomas Steen

"A 1990 poll of NHL players named him as the league's most underrated player"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Steen

>Just like his son Alexander who I think is increadibly underrated as well?

Why?? Perhaps it's because they are very unselfish players focusing on creating plays for others?

Alexander mostly playing on the third line is another reason which sometimes feels a bit weird. The Blues are loaded with talent though.

Alexander is definately one of the top third line players in the league, I guess we can all agree upon that. ;-)

Do you also consider Andy McDonald as a 3rd line player? Or Tarasenko? Obviously, that's not a "3rd line". The Blues roll their top 3 lines pretty much equally. Look at the players' minutes. Its a mistake to think the Blues are using Steen in a 3rd line role.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Do you also consider Andy McDonald as a 3rd line player? Or Tarasenko? Obviously, that's not a "3rd line". The Blues roll their top 3 lines pretty much equally. Look at the players' minutes. Its a mistake to think the Blues are using Steen in a 3rd line role.

Good :-D I will never say that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad