GDT: Game #2: Blackhawks @ Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton Parayko

Dec 19, 2015
Told you that this team can't beat Chicago in a series. We have same scoring issues like every year and I don't think it will be any easier in Chicago.

Also I'm laughing at the guys who said we wouldn't be better with Stamkos instead of Shattenkirk. Adding someone like Stamkos could just be the piece we need to beat them. We still have Pie, Parayko and J-BO on D.

Last edited:

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I think we are still missing a key point: The offsides call involved video analysis where they examined every camera angle for 5 minutes and determined that a guy was off by a hairs breath based on heel, toe, whatever behind the lone being off the ice. Meanwhile, the embellishment call and Fabri and the non call on goalie interference were completely based on a subjective, maybe arbitrary, determination by the refs. Kind of silly if you ask me. Makes it look like a farce.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
That was an extremely tough angle. If he was a lefty I think he puts it in but I don't fault him for not scoring.

You can't falt Parayko on that. He was at an extremely difficult angle and did a great job just getting the shot off.

BlueMagic

Oct 19, 2014
You can't falt Parayko on that. He was at an extremely difficult angle and did a great job just getting the shot off.

Agreed. I'm gushing over his play these last two games. I think he's gotten even better with the intensity turned up.

zachws6

Nov 8, 2010
STL
Proud of our Blues. They won that game as far as I'm concerned. If I'm not going to make a fuss about the main drama, I do not like the icing call leading to the 1st goal.

...but what if we won that faceoff. :cry:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Proud of our Blues. They won that game as far as I'm concerned. If I'm not going to make a fuss about the main drama, I do not like the icing call leading to the 1st goal.

Did you say Sobotka? Small margins have been biggest impact of who have won the game.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
watching hitchcock post-game interview on cbc...he says basically "we know when you play the hawks there are other elements you have to fight through....to beat them you know there are other elements you have to deal with...its going to look like they get every call...because playing them you know your going to get calls that arent going to go your way. bottom line." hes smart setting that up, basically putting the officiating in the series under scrutiny and hes telling the truth...

before they show the interview one of the greaseball ***** from the cbc's round table sets it up as "we are all in agreement that the offsides call was ruled properly? correct?" and all the other ***** say "oh yes, absolutely"... then **** no.1 says "well guess who doesnt?"... then they go to interview. setting up hitch as a whiner... but hes not talking about that one call you ****ing idiot...hes talking about every call...hes played this team in enough important games to know what to expect...every game changing break and call goes to the hawks. period.

he also said "they have a lot of information on how to win...." what do you think that meant? sounded a little cryptic to me...

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Long and hearty lol at some posters saying they are not going to watch any more games or that the series is over and the Blues cannot beat the hawks after 1 loss. Did you really expect a sweep? Talk about mentally fragile/losing attitude :laugh:

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
So it was Backes that made that terrible pass that led to the icing late in the 2nd? As good as he's played that was such a horrendous mistake. Reading the quotes from the Hawks players that goal was a massive boost. That game. Jesus it is painful rooting for this team. Painful.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
This is exactly why baseball does not allow challenging the foul balls. There is a certain level of subjectivity that must remain in the officials' hands in order for the energy to not be completely sucked out of a game. The rule is garbage and I would be surprised if it still exists next season. How can you reverse a goal because of an infraction that occurred 15 seconds earlier after a whole sequence of events has already taken place in between the offsides and goal? Stupid.

sbkbghockey

Aug 26, 2008
at the ice rink, USA

Well no, they didn't win. Despite the marginal offsides call on a rule that's likely going to be changed/clarified this off season, the Blues lost because they got outplayed by Chicago when it counted. I know Blues fans are upset but the only bad call was the Fabbri embellishment call. I don't think anyone picked STL to sweep the defending Cup champs in 4 games. The Blues are better this year and this should be a long series.

They still haven't showed any scoring ability beyond Vladi which is super concerning. They got more shots on Crawford but still not many high quality scoring chances outside of Vladi. Most shots are one-and-done chances.

The Blues won game1 despite being outplayed by Chicago on the back of Elliott and solid D effort. Last night, the Blues outplayed the Hawks at times but we saw the Hawks step it up when needed in the third and the Blues couldn't match. It's super concerning that we haven't seen Chicago really go to that special extra level. I still don't think the Blues old core has that. In fact, I think they're losers/perennial playoff no-shows. Luckily, the new guys like Fabbri, Parayko and Terasenko do but they can't do it alone.

Also the Shaw goal exposed a problem that was apparent in game1 but didn't hurt us then. The Blues D is very passive at defending the slot and letting Hawks players camp with inside position just outside of the crease (esp on the Chi PP). Shaw can't be allowed to have 3-4 whacks at the puck, Shatty just needs to blast him out of the crease, let Ells grab the puck and maybe take a cross chk penalty but at least save the goal. You see that in other playoff series but not the Blues.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sabres fan coming in peace. That game last night was outright theft. I get your coach staying calm but the officiating was as bad and one-sided as I've seen in awhile.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Told you that this team can't beat Chicago in a series. We have same scoring issues like every year and I don't think it will be any easier in Chicago.

Also I'm laughing at the guys who said we wouldn't be better with Stamkos instead of Shattenkirk. Adding someone like Stamkos could just be the piece we need to beat them. We still have Pie, Parayko and J-BO on D.

Silly me, I thought the series was tied at 1, I didn't realize that we lost already

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Boys are going to feel real salty Sunday.

I get the the offside was the correct call in the most precise nature of the rule, but my god does it spit in the face of the spirit of the game.

The Blues put 3 past Crawford, they can score.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

What a bizarre post.

We're 1-1 and could easily be 2-0. Chicago got lucky that the play was offside, it wasn't like a breakaway where the offside offered a clear advantage.

As for Stamkos... You realise he isn't playing, right? Hindsight makes it clear that not trading for Stamkos was 100% the right move.

he also said "they have a lot of information on how to win...." what do you think that meant? sounded a little cryptic to me...

Just that they know what it takes to overcome adversity. They know how to handle a long playoff run.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Question about the review of the offsides. Do you lose the ability to call a challenge once the puck comes out of the zone? I was just thinking that as long as they went and were still able to review it, what would stop a coach from using one several minutes later after catching an offsides that a linesman missed, as kind of an insurance piece if the other team scores first.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Was at the game last night but was too pissed off to post anything at the time.

I thought we looked pretty decent. The Hawks made a lot of bad passes and we jumped on that and created a lot of turnovers. What I noticed was we didn't capitalize on our chances. We would create a great turnover, get into the offensive zone and then not get a scoring chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad