GDT: Game 2 10/14/2022 Columbus Blue Jackets VS Tampa Bay Lightning 7PM

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
cole did absolutely nothing for me tonight. I had my eye on him a lot of the game, sitting 15 rows off the ice. the most memorable thing he did to me was turn the puck over on his first shift 2 feet infront of Tarasov that almost led to a tampa goal within the first 2 minutes of the game.

Don't be unfair, he also beaned Boone with a hard shot.

Reactions: CBJx614 and I3LI3

jogurtti

Nov 21, 2021
My take from the game is ban Robert for trolling. I think they were relatively good considerering the state of franchise (re-tool), playing against possible sc finalist. We got 2 great d-men coming up the rafters and a good top-6 forward in Marchenko. It's kinda funny some people are this early already throwing the towel on to the rink and calling it season over. We are missing Laine, who was the most important piece last season and he will be just as important this season. And i'm pretty sure the d will grow together, may we have many shutouts from now on.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Gudbranson was on the ice for 17 minutes at even strength and the Jackets had 2 shots on goal in the those 17 minutes.

might be even more baffling that he was on the ice for 17 minutes at even strength.

when erik gudbranson is playing nearly 19 minutes a night, you have a d-core problem.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I know it's Doom and gloom on the board, because of course it is, but a giant positive for me was overall they looked better today than they did on Wednesday.
Maybe I’m just a pessimistic bastard but I completely disagree. Through two periods we had Carolina in our sights, playing well. Until we got those powerplays

Tonight I felt like we chased it the whole game

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Gudbranson was on the ice for 17 minutes at even strength and the Jackets had 2 shots on goal in the those 17 minutes.

might be even more baffling that he was on the ice for 17 minutes at even strength.

when erik gudbranson is playing nearly 19 minutes a night, you have a d-core problem.
Or it tells you that tour coach isnt in this time where dmen with great skills of skating and puck handling are the one who control the game. Larsen lives in his 90bubble where hockey was big, strong and dumb if Gudbransson plays over 10minutes its a disaster

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Or it tells you that tour coach isnt in this time where dmen with great skills of skating and puck handling are the one who control the game. Larsen lives in his 90bubble where hockey was big, strong and dumb if Gudbransson plays over 10minutes its a disaster

Jarmo and co. brought Gudbranson in not Lars.

I can guarantee you Lars didn’t have much of an impact on signing Erik.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Lars lives in some imagined future bubble where the Jackets can play freewheeling creative hockey and the D are supposed to make nice big long passes on the breakout. Jarmo has set him up to be the fun creative coach during the rebuild and handed him mostly bad defensemen to implement the system. Gudbranson can't play this way and it's obvious enough that eventually Lars will make adjustments, but the problem is Jarmo giving him such a big contract that it makes it seem like he has to play Guddy every night. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and Lars thinks Guddy is great, but I doubt it.

Reactions: Cowumbus and LJ7

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Maybe I’m just a pessimistic bastard but I completely disagree. Through two periods we had Carolina in our sights, playing well. Until we got those powerplays

Except for leading 1-0 and dominating them on two PKs. But for the rest, yeah. Tampa made adjustments during first intermission and we had NOTHING going offensively, no matter who was on the ice.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I’d cut Lars some slack here. The team is in a rebuild with up and coming players, and we just lost a n exceptional offensive player and franchise center piece for a few weeks in Laine. I think we have to be realistic in our expectations when playing the Lightning, who are a highly skilled, well coached team with a solid foundation and with a clear advantage in all the areas that make a winning team.

It’s not all doom and gloom - our top pairing D is not up to speed yet, but Boquist has shown signs of a clear upward trajectory, Chinakow is showing signs of becoming a solid top 6 scoring winger with much more to bring than his shot, and we have a black horse in Kent Johnson. I just hope that he stays on the lineup when Laine gets back. We have lot’s to be optimistic about, and two losses in the start of the season against what look like contenders shouldn’t bring down our wxpectations about the near future of this group. With that said, Not-that-goodbransson should play on the the third pair and play to hos strenghts - get easy assignments and punch some faces when the situotion dictates it.

IMHO Kent Clark Johnson should be on the 1st PP unit all season. We need more skill and fast puck movement on the PP. The PP needs to be an exhausting and frustrating puck moving unit to play against, and the hockey IQ of KJ and the threat of Laine’s lethal scoring touch should swing the scales our way on the man advantage.

I also want to give a shoutout to Tarasov. IMO he’s showing signs of becoming the starting goaltender in the near future, he’s showing signs with his obvious talent and poise of leveling up just like Helleybuyck did when he was still a questionmark for the Jets org, and then went ahead to become a Vezina candidate in a couple of seasons.

The near future looks promising, and the talent of the young players in the org will manifest and shine through. Lars job right now to ease them into more prominent roles on the team.

Laine getting injured in the precious game felt like a gutpunch ar first, but now that I’ve had time to accept the buzzkill it might eben be good for this team. The majority of teams in the league would lose all momentum when losing their top scorer EV and main threat on the PP.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Liked:
+The schedule magnets.. bigger than ever, premium feel, Weresnki on it
+Gaudreau is so much fun to watch in person, speed is as advertised
+Powerplay was still a failure, but not nearly as bad as Wednesday..had some good looks.. its a START
+KJ with a couple standout moments ... really would like to see him with JG
+The older kid, #34 .. playing more confident, physical style reminding of a certain former #18's path
+With it getting out of hand halfway through the 3rd a lot of folks started making their way home.. made traffic a lot better post game :D

Disliked:
-Gavrikov ... it just feels and looks like he's not into the game.. very odd performance from him two games in
-Patience with Gudbrandson is quickly waning... not sure how much longer it can be ignored
-I'm really not seeing much of a difference in Boqvist ... maybe I'm just expecting too much?
-Voracek.. feel like we need a lot more from him, especially with Laine out, meh so far

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Honestly, we didn't have a single guy on the ice who had a good game tonight.

And I expected our power play to be our strength instead of our weakness. Maybe it will be eventually?

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
I’d cut Lars some slack here. The team is in a rebuild with up and coming players, and we just lost a n exceptional offensive player and franchise center piece for a few weeks in Laine. I think we have to be realistic in our expectations when playing the Lightning, who are a highly skilled, well coached team with a solid foundation and with a clear advantage in all the areas that make a winning team.

It’s not all doom and gloom - our top pairing D is not up to speed yet, but Boquist has shown signs of a clear upward trajectory, Chinakow is showing signs of becoming a solid top 6 scoring winger with much more to bring than his shot, and we have a black horse in Kent Johnson. I just hope that he stays on the lineup when Laine gets back. We have lot’s to be optimistic about, and two losses in the start of the season against what look like contenders shouldn’t bring down our wxpectations about the near future of this group. With that said, Not-that-goodbransson should play on the the third pair and play to hos strenghts - get easy assignments and punch some faces when the situotion dictates it.

IMHO Kent Clark Johnson should be on the 1st PP unit all season. We need more skill and fast puck movement on the PP. The PP needs to be an exhausting and frustrating puck moving unit to play against, and the hockey IQ of KJ and the threat of Laine’s lethal scoring touch should swing the scales our way on the man advantage.

I also want to give a shoutout to Tarasov. IMO he’s showing signs of becoming the starting goaltender in the near future, he’s showing signs with his obvious talent and poise of leveling up just like Helleybuyck did when he was still a questionmark for the Jets org, and then went ahead to become a Vezina candidate in a couple of seasons.

The near future looks promising, and the talent of the young players in the org will manifest and shine through. Lars job right now to ease them into more prominent roles on the team.

Laine getting injured in the precious game felt like a gutpunch ar first, but now that I’ve had time to accept the buzzkill it might eben be good for this team. The majority of teams in the league would lose all momentum when losing their top scorer EV and main threat on the PP.

genuine question here about your opinion:

what from Chinakhov have you seen that leads you to believe he’s developing into a solid top 6 forward? sure, he absolutely tore it up in preseason but has literally done nearly nothing in these first two games. 2 shots on goal in 28 minutes of play. not good especially coming from someone solely known for their shot. I will say, watching him tonight in person, he was more physical than I thought he’d be. surprisingly wasn’t afraid to lay the body a few times along the boards.

I know he’s extremely young and has only played in 64 career games but I’m expecting more and rightfully so.

he’s also now a -30 in those 64 games which is putrid. (plus minus means very very little but it’s worth pointing out) and has just 7 goals, 14 points. what’s even more concerning is he has exactly 100 shots on goal in those 64 games. that’s not even 1.5 shots on goal a game. like I said, a guy known for his shot is simply not shooting. you could say “he doesn’t play that many minutes that’s why” but that’s not true.. so far this year. last year? yeah. but you can’t say that this year with the near 15 mins TOI averaged.

every time I watch him he is extremely timid and seems like he doesn’t have that ‘selfishness’ that many pure shooters/snipers have in the league.

just my two cents.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Jarmo and co. brought Gudbranson in not Lars.

I can guarantee you Lars didn’t have much of an impact on signing Erik.
I think Jarmo and co. dont deside icetime? Its Jarmos fault they hire dinosaur but its Lars fault that dinosaur plays so much

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
I think Jarmo and co. dont deside icetime? Its Jarmos fault they hire dinosaur but its Lars fault that dinosaur plays so much

so you’re telling me if Lars wanted to play Olivier 18 minutes a night over Sillinger/Chinakhov, Jarmo and co. wouldn’t intervene/say anything?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Went to the game and missed most of the discussion here, but honestly watching the team ends up making me upset.

Short and to the point but:
Gudbranson is bad. Many of us knew this before the signing, what was he a -3?
Voracek looks slow.
Danforth is good, but needs to play in the bottom6.
Roslovic is frustrating and not a top6 C.
Tarasov deserves much better.
Blankenburg needs to draw in, maybe even Christiansen/Jiricek.
Sillinger OR Johnson with JG13 plz.
Not a fan of Lars as a coach TBH.

Reactions: I3LI3

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I hate to bring up an unwelcome subject but when you lose Texier and Bjorkstrand your battle level is going to take a big dip. We were already low in that department last year and now we've just lost our best forwards at driving play up the wall. We're also weaker playing in front of the nets. Lars is pushing them hard to compete but Jarmo isn't giving him good tools for the job.
But if we had Bjorkstrand we wouldn’t be able to have Gudbranson.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Went to the game and missed most of the discussion here, but honestly watching the team ends up making me upset.

Short and to the point but:
Gudbranson is bad. Many of us knew this before the signing, what was he a -3?
Voracek looks slow.
Danforth is good, but needs to play in the bottom6.
Roslovic is frustrating and not a top6 C.
Tarasov deserves much better.
Blankenburg needs to draw in, maybe even Christiansen/Jiricek.
Sillinger OR Johnson with JG13 plz.
Not a fan of Lars as a coach TBH.

^ every single opinion I agree with.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad