GDT: Game 2 10/14/2022 Columbus Blue Jackets VS Tampa Bay Lightning 7PM

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Has some '15-'16 and '11-'12 vibes so far.

That said, Carolina and Tampa are two juggernauts. Tarasov - expected to start in Cleveland - has played both. Laine out 23 minutes into the season or whatever.

Only hope is Elvis Bobrovsky's this team for a bit going .930+, Larsen wakes up and realizes he needs to play Johnson more, and...yeah, idk what you do with the defense.
I'd rather see Christiansen than Gud or Bean.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Has some '15-'16 and '11-'12 vibes so far.

That said, Carolina and Tampa are two juggernauts. Tarasov - expected to start in Cleveland - has played both. Laine out 23 minutes into the season or whatever.

Only hope is Elvis Bobrovsky's this team for a bit going .930+, Larsen wakes up and realizes he needs to play Johnson more, and...yeah, idk what you do with the defense.

The defense was talked about at the exit meetings last year and we only went and got Gubranson (who is not a defensive stalwart). Again everyone rips Gubranson and he wasn’t brought here to play top 4 minutes but yet he is and we expect him to be something that he isn’t. The issue is we do nothing for the top 4 and expect Boqvist to take an immense leap in development. We have a defensive coach who I think is over his head (based on seeing the same mistakes every game).

So I really don’t see it being immensely better but I did think we would outscore a lot of our deficiencies. Jack R and Jakob V are no look passing turnover machines right now. The only thing positive I saw out of the 2nd line was Chinny was playing pretty good on forecheck and forced quite a few turnovers. So he is doing his job.

I think 2nd line will be moved down and 3rd line moved up. Blankenburg will start and they will sit somebody take your pick other than Z, even Gavrikov has had a bad 2 games.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
For those of you who have/had great expectations before the season check the schedule and see that an 0-7 start is very possible. If the jackets have more than 4 points after 7 I'll be surprised. Definitely a tough 7 games to start the season.

And 3-9 by Nov 5 is a very real possibility. The old days of "out by Thanksgiving" could be back upon us.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
The last two games gave me the vibe of we're seriously outmatched. These first three games are a measuring stick of how much we need to improve to be a serious Cup contender.

Game 1: team that could win the Cup this year
Game 2: team that won the Cup two years ago and three years ago
Game 3: team than won the Cup four years ago
I am okay with being outmatched what I am not okay with is puck watching, standing around, missed assignments all over the ice, blind passing and in general look like they are waiting for Johnny Hockey or the Goalie to bale them out.

Honestly if we went 0-7 and they played their asses off then I wouldn’t like it but rationally could say they were outmatched - this isn’t the case. I think everyone with 2 eyes last night saw the lack of effort and this was a home opener (shouldn’t suffer from lack of effort) and they played defense like a beer league.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Only 2 games and they've been against two teams expected to go deep in the playoffs this year. So no reason to panic yet.

That said, our 3rd pairing should be Bayreuther - Blankenberg and Gudbranson should give #44 back to Gavrikov.

The Lars Bar isn't up to snuff. Granted, it's premature to can the coach and would mainly cause disruption. Also, it's not like there's a great coach out there just waiting for a gig. He can't seem to settle on any sort of defensive or even offensive scheme. Young team, not a high expectation year, sure. But this is definitely a group of individuals rather than a cohesive team. And that's mostly on him.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Anyways, not sure if it's my hearing loss, but I thought it was pretty quiet for a Friday home opener. And that was before Tampa started to dominate

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Anyways, not sure if it's my hearing loss, but I thought it was pretty quiet for a Friday home opener. And that was before Tampa started to dominate
I agree. I thought the roof was going to blow off when Johnny scored, but it was quite tame.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I agree. I thought the roof was going to blow off when Johnny scored, but it was quite tame.
Were you there in person? I get a kick out of fans up here like in Winnipeg where the crowd noise is clearly turned up louder than places like Columbus. I always thought their crowd noise was weirdly low on the broadcast.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Were you there in person? I get a kick out of fans up here like in Winnipeg where the crowd noise is clearly turned up louder than places like Columbus. I always thought their crowd noise was weirdly low on the broadcast.
Yeah I was there. It was loud, for sure, but I honestly thought it was going to be louder. Wasn’t disappointed, just surprised.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I haven't been to a game in Winnipeg. I'm not sure if I understand you here. Winnipeg is less loud or more loud than it seems on broadcast? It used to seem crazy loud though the team is a lot more boring now and it seems quieter.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I haven't been to a game in Winnipeg. I'm not sure if I understand you here. Winnipeg is less loud or more loud than it seems on broadcast? It used to seem crazy loud though the team is a lot more boring now and it seems quieter.
I had a longer post but it didnt really get my point across. Basically I think certains broadcasts not sure who im actually thinking of (TSN, Sportsnet?) Do a better job of getting criwd and game noises through the broadcast and always thought Columbus is one of those teams its seems low on. Even when they are losing their minds on playoff pushes.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad