Post-Game Talk: Game 19 vs BOS - 3 Stars

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is also.

The feeling. When some Contender is destroyed.

All are stars.

And I live on this feeling listening this song.

We are contender-beater on the making. Give me Rangers next!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Spacegoat: Ras, I guess if I was forced to pick. Rasmussen has taken a step back. It is such a shame. I'm a Ras fan, and he showed so much promise the previous season. Makes me wonder if he is not still nursing an injury of some kind. Something is not right with him.
Yeah, I was a fan of how he played last season. I really thought he'd practice hard after he healed, and come out eager this season. The only thing he's shown any eagerness for is stupid penalties.

IIRC he played in a charity game in August, so he's had some time to practice before the season began. Not sure what's up with him, his puck reaction is Helm/Brome/Perlini/Zadina bad. It's worse than his rookie season, and he couldn't even skate back then. At least Copp can hit an open net.

Reactions: Juha

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
1. Compher
2. DeBrincat
3. Husso

Spacegoat: Chiarot, his coverage on the first Boston goal was cringeworthy.

The Boston announcers are every bit as cringe as I remember. The best was when they broke out a telestrator and basically started putting all these lines across the screen that looked like drunken etch-a-sketch.
Bro the announcer was horrible sounded like it was it was commentated after the game was over with how he spoke

Oct 18, 2006
1. Compher. What a surprise packet.
2. Veleno. He’s elevated the 1st line.
3. Seider. Loved his game.

Reactions: 14ari13

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Feels good, baby.

View attachment 772768

1. JT, he’s been very good so far but titanic in this one.
2. Ray, he’s just got it
3. Joey, even if the points aren’t there he’s active constantly, never stands still and wins battles.

SC: Rasmussen, everything Joey does well Moose doesn’t do or does it sub par

These are the games I’m here for.

View attachment 772770

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
It's a puck tracker. It's literally the path that the puck took to get there. You get squiggly lines anyone someone carries the puck, then a sharp angle when the puck is passed or shot. The line is a limited length, and fades away on the back end.

The screenshot I took was when Husso made the initial save, and after that DeBrusk hits Chiarot in the leg with it and eventually Boston scores.

Note: I'm just explaining what it is, by no ways am I defending it. It sucks.

Okay so, I've watched it, and yeah I see the puck tracking... it's just really weird.

But their TV guys certainly sound drunk, so I don't think I'm wrong there!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Okay so, I've watched it, and yeah I see the puck tracking... it's just really weird.

But their TV guys certainly sound drunk, so I don't think I'm wrong there!

Well so does Mickey, it'd be kinda hypocritical for us to complain. Not to mention we have Keating and Murph on top. Imagine an opponent fan listening to Plausible Keats, Ginger Ale Mickey, and fat fingers Howie.

But at least we don't have the Etch a Sketch on our screens, lol, so we win there.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
1 - Compher
2 - DeBrincat
3 - Me, for having to sit through NESN for the 3rd Bruin game this season. Man, they are such MEGA homers which is bad enough, but Jack Edward I believe is legit functioning drunk as he slurs words all night and it gets worse by the end of the night. He also calls Lucas Raymond, Mason every single time, when Mason retired in 16-17.

SG - SN for not letting me pick my broadcast option eventhough the thing they took over for had this option.

Compher
Raymond
Debrincat

Spacegoat: Perron

I am really starting to heavily sour on Perron. Seems like he is just going through the motions, takes stupid penalties, and his slow speed/effort means he legit his grab/holding an opp. sweater almost every shift which could of course lead to even more stupid penalties.

Reactions: Realgud

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Fuuuuuuck!!!! f***ing Fuuuuuuck. I missed an early game here in Finland.... How that happened???? And we f***ing won against those useless bastards....

I did not watch the game, you know. But I bet my left leg Dylan was the best. As usual.

Dylan hasn't been the best Wing in legit 10 games now. He is clearly playing hurt. Even today he did score, but he wasn't really great aside from that.

If you're talking about this mess, the black line is a puck tracker, the yellow appears to be tracking players. It's about as stupid as the FOX glowing puck.

View attachment 772835

This better be killed off soon. Not just NESN that has been using this, and it looks absolutely Pejorative Slured. One of the games covering a West Coast team even had this during gameplay, made me want to pull my hair out, and I barely have any.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Well so does Mickey, it'd be kinda hypocritical for us to complain. Not to mention we have Keating and Murph on top. Imagine an opponent fan listening to Plausible Keats, Ginger Ale Mickey, and fat fingers Howie.

But at least we don't have the Etch a Sketch on our screens, lol, so we win there.

Mickey never sounds drunk to me. Never slurs words and 99% of the time is on point.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Mickey never sounds drunk to me. Never slurs words and 99% of the time is on point.
99%? Uhmmmm NO, lol. Complete homerism.

My original hometown team was the Caps. Still hate Locker's voice. I call shit as it is, Mickey ain't that good.

My homerism will be limited to Walman's cely, because it's worth it.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
  1. First star . Compher. He had such a good, all around solid game. In fact I can't remember him ever having a bad game. I love his game. It is so great to have a solid second line center after all those (Holland free agent signings) disappointments (Weiss and Nielsen) of yesteryear. Compher is so good. I like how Yzerman improves the roster every year with these great free agent signings.
  2. Second star; Ray. I like how Razor shoots more and how he is more involved in the game. You can tell Razor has a lot untapped of talent.
  3. Third star; Mo. Seider made a lot of good plays during the game. But Mo needs to work on his shot. He needs to find away to get his shot trough the traffic in the PP. It often gets blocked, or it goes too high, or misses the net entirely. But never the less Mo played a very good game as well.

Spacegoat: Ras, I guess if I was forced to pick. Rasmussen has taken a step back. It is such a shame. I'm a Ras fan, and he showed so much promise the previous season. Makes me wonder if he is not still nursing an injury of some kind. Something is not right with him.

1. Compher. What a surprise packet.
2. Veleno. He’s elevated the 1st line.
3. Seider. Loved his game.
True, Seider is a beast. He is the lone player with the distinct winner attitude/instinct. The were 2 plays where he showed the leader attitude as when the team was a bit tentative and afraid, but Seider didn't want any of it and took the charge. I love his game. I didn't like he shot when we had 5 on 3 though.
It was a bit embarrassing and comical how they struggled to gain the zone when 5 o 3.

Their announcers were much better than they used to be. No complaints for my part.

What do we do with the goalies now?

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
We had a Boston fan join our thread last game informing us that the Boston announcer had a medical condition / possible stroke that causes his drunk sounding style.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
99%? Uhmmmm NO, lol. Complete homerism.

My original hometown team was the Caps. Still hate Locker's voice. I call shit as it is, Mickey ain't that good.

My homerism will be limited to Walman's cely, because it's worth it.
The only "home" team for Mickey is the players vs refs. Find me another announcer that complains about soft calls that favor the side that employs him. He calls out effort good or bad on either side. Ken slips into the home cooking but not Mick.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Might have been Raymond’s best game in the NHL tbh.

Hes had several games this year you could say that about. Today is one of those games where he could easily have had 3 points and hes had a few of those this season. Eventually hes going to start burying his chances even more. Legit 90 point potential is starting to show.

I have no idea how you have a 5 on 3 where you could ice the game and Perron is out there as a righty instead of him

Bro the announcer was horrible sounded like it was it was commentated after the game was over with how he spoke
Jack Edwards used to actually be a decent colour guy as long as the Bruins werent fighting. People hated him because the rough stuff would start and he would turn into a complete moron, but listening to him outside of that was really good.

Since that stroke, he has just become a homer the entire game and is almost unlistenable. Every penalty he cries about, says shitty stuff about the other team etc

I also wanna say Veleno on the top line actually looked good as a forechecker... could work out for him up there

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
2 massive wins in a row to get things back on track. Very encouraging. Nice return back to North America.

Rasmussen needs to move his darn feet. My one complaint. He is usually lumbering, but against the B’s he looked like he was in quick sand.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
What do we do with the goalies now?
SYGMS1.jpg

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The only "home" team for Mickey is the players vs refs. Find me another announcer that complains about soft calls that favor the side that employs him. He calls out effort good or bad on either side. Ken slips into the home cooking but not Mick.
Watch Copp's breakaway at 4:15 into the video. Mickey making excuses for Copp's ineptitude, lol. Puck wasn't bouncing at all, Copp has Helm hands.

That's the kind of homerism by the local press that makes fans think players like Zadina and Cholowski are actually good when they suck crap.

Granted that was the only example I could find in the highlights for a whole game, so not bad.... but he does slur his speech a bit. Certainly not the crisp voice you want out of an announcer.

I also noticed he doesn't really say much at all when the action is happening.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I also noticed he doesn't really say much at all when the action is happening.
That's Kenny's job. Mickey is color and concept. Great with a telestrator and I love the way he talks to kids about development. And of course, his stories of the Olden Dayze.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's Kenny's job. Mickey is color and concept. Great with a telestrator and I love the way he talks to kids about development. And of course, his stories of the Olden Dayze.
Yeah, which opposing fans would take as just rambling, lol. Also, color commentators usually have more to say when the home team scores.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mickey because he's part of the Red Wings culture, but I'm a Wings fan. If you look at things from a neutral perspective, he's no better or worse than others in the league. That's all I was getting at.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Yeah, which opposing fans would take as just rambling, lol. Also, color commentators usually have more to say when the home team scores.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mickey because he's part of the Red Wings culture, but I'm a Wings fan. If you look at things from a neutral perspective, he's no better or worse than others in the league. That's all I was getting at.
I read you but still have to disagree. To me, Mickey is less of a homer because he disparages "ticky-tack" calls on both sides. Not just an occasional "got away with one there" for the obvious "oh sorry I corkscrewed you into the boards shoulder-first" ones, but even the little holds and grabs and pokes that he (and others) acknowledge that everyone does.

Can he make an excuse for a Copp that you won't? Probably. He's played, and sure thing, he's a Red Wing to his core these days. But it's the same as when Ozzie says "no goalie is gonna have a chance at that" at "seeing eye" shots. Ozzie calls that for either team because he's giving a goalie perspective more than a Red Wing perspective.

All that said, sure, they're the Wings broadcasters - they durned-well "round off" for the home team and I'm not claiming they don't do it. But "homerism" over any other team in the league? Not in my opinion. The only other team I've listened to a lot was the Wild's guys back when I had Center Ice and it was easier to switch back and forth between games, and I'd put them (can't remember their names) right up there with Ken & Mick. The other ones I heard a lot were the Boston guys and they are among the worst homerism-ists. Which everyone on the planet acknowledges.

But Mickey? Nahh. Shoot, he'd rather joke about hinting about the whole 1978 Canadiens team being roaring drunk for a whole game (or something like that) than call a play happening on the ice in more detail than "look out!". IMO it's clear to me that he loves hockey first and the Wings second and everyone else a close third. I'll be one sad human being when he retires.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Jack Edwards used to actually be a decent colour guy as long as the Bruins werent fighting. People hated him because the rough stuff would start and he would turn into a complete moron, but listening to him outside of that was really good.

Since that stroke, he has just become a homer the entire game and is almost unlistenable. Every penalty he cries about, says shitty stuff about the other team etc
He was always really bad. I think he is only one who was openly cheering to injury of oppposite players, no sympathy with him whatsoever.

Juha

Feb 18, 2014
Finland
Yeah, I was a fan of how he played last season. I really thought he'd practice hard after he healed, and come out eager this season. The only thing he's shown any eagerness for is stupid penalties.

IIRC he played in a charity game in August, so he's had some time to practice before the season began. Not sure what's up with him, his puck reaction is Helm/Brome/Perlini/Zadina bad. It's worse than his rookie season, and he couldn't even skate back then. At least Copp can hit an open net.

Yeah, the way he played last season, I thought he might be able to score maybe 15 – 20 goals and have 50 points season in the future. It wasn't such a crazy thought back then. But right now, he really does not look like like 50 point player at all. I think it is very unusual for a 25 year old player to regress like this, so I can only assume he is not fully healed, or that something else is going wrong right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad