Post-Game Talk: GAME 19 - The Bruins have only lost 2 games in regulation all season - BOTH TO THE RED WINGS - Detroit 5 BRUINS 2

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
My wife has a theory that home teams usually struggle in games the day after family holidays. Rationale is the road team has to start getting their minds fixed on the upcoming game the evening before, either to travel then or at least get ready to travel in the morning. Whereas the home players can stay in relaxed mode pretty much until the time they need to head to the arena. Hence the visiting team is more switched on and ready to go from the first whistle, while the home guys are still trying to find their legs and get engaged.

The results today are certainly bearing this out. Essentially 7 games in the books so far, and the road teams have won 6 and lost 1 in OT, and that was the Leafs, 'cause it's the Leafs. So the Bruins are not in bad company today. Not excusing their sloppiness, but it's perhaps not so surprising, especially in a matinee.

Just in. I had to drop my daughter off at Logan after the game.

The whole team looked off. Something is wrong with Pasta as he wasn't, his usual self and he was stretching himself awkwardly on the bench and looked like he was hurting.

Nice to see @DKH today

Yeah I noticed this about Pasta too. Perhaps whatever he tweaked in that game a few days ago, can't remember which one exactly, is still bothering him. Whether he needs some rest or can just play through it until he recovers, hopefully the medical staff do what's best.

KWbruin

May 29, 2019
Kitchener, ON
Bs played very poorly today. Especially Marchand, Pasta and Carlo. Arguably guys normally counted on. Got beat by a decent Wings team. But despite having their worst outing of the season IMHO, if they cleaned up just a couple mistakes (Poitra's zone exit and Carlo's failed PK clear as examples) they were quite capable of securing a point or even two. It's not like they put it all out there and got beat. Or that they got blown out.

Fascinated to see the bounce back tomorrow.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Just in. I had to drop my daughter off at Logan after the game.

The whole team looked off. Something is wrong with Pasta as he wasn't, his usual self and he was stretching himself awkwardly on the bench and looked like he was hurting.

Nice to see @DKH today
I wonder if he was hurt in the buffalo game. When he left and came back?

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Heinen and Coyle just go together. Really liked Heinen's game today, even before the goal.
He was aiight in my eyes.

Bs played very poorly today. Especially Marchand, Pasta and Carlo. Arguably guys normally counted on. Got beat by a decent Wings team. But despite having their worst outing of the season IMHO, if they cleaned up just a couple mistakes (Poitra's zone exit and Carlo's failed PK clear as examples) they were quite capable of securing a point or even two. It's not like they put it all out there and got beat. Or that they got blown out.

Fascinated to see the bounce back tomorrow.
It reminded me of the game against the seats in Montreal 13* days ago. Except in that game the Bruins salvaged a point because Mtl sucks.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I wonder if he was hurt in the buffalo game. When he left and came back?
Something was hurting him today.

Plus they call him to go to the box and we (including Pasta) were confused... turned out it was on #18...not #88...stripes were bad on this call.

Last edited:

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Pops randomly said to me earlier when we were watching the game together "looks like they're saving their energy for the NY game tomorrow".

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Lots of people saying that Lohrei needs more AHL time, I'm not sure.
He definitely needs work, but to me his main problem is not making the simple play when that's all that's required. Will the AHL fix that? Will playing more minutes against slower worse hockey players force him to make the quick simple play, or since easier actually provide an environment for him to hang on to the puck too long? We shall see.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
I'd say it's more of a mental thing than age related

Zacha has been the worst player at not clearing the puck outta the zone this season and he's only 26
Sorry nothing to do with age. The fact they aren't skating it out etc is getting old. My bad

Reactions: bobbyorr04

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Has Savard successfully coached a PP and I missed it? He had a natural skill set but does that translate to coaching? Wayne Gretzky was 143-161 as a coach

Marchand was off today. Numerous boneheaded turnovers
True. What I'm getting at is that it's stale. Teams catch on that pasta is the go to guy. Pass pass pasta shoots pass pass pasta shoots. Marchand was off today

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Lots of people saying that Lohrei needs more AHL time, I'm not sure.
He definitely needs work, but to me his main problem is not making the simple play when that's all that's required. Will the AHL fix that? Will playing more minutes against slower worse hockey players force him to make the quick simple play, or since easier actually provide an environment for him to hang on to the puck too long? We shall see.
His main issue to me is his first couple strides are slow.Few times I saw him with room but they get right on top of him fast.Growing pains I guess.

Reactions: mjhfb

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
where to stsrt.
first time at a game in 5 years.
only good part of the day was it only cost $10 total for round trip for myself and 10 year old daughter from wachusett to the game on the commuter rail.
got a hotdog water 2 beers. 50 bucks.lol
knew we were flat when marchand had the yips on the first PP. our passing was horrid.
had a chance for empty net rebound and hes passing it.
potrais another giveaway as last man back.
we hsd another carlo special on the 3rd goal.
lindholm was horrible.
in fact the only defensemsn that was any goid at getting the puck out was #14.
what a total waste of a day.
team going nowhere when they cant win a faceoff.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
It is still November:

Christ..,
Would love to actually know what everyone's belief is when it comes to these boards. Truly.
Are people allowed to have opinions, question things, say the team is soft, say the team only needs skill, question anything? Seems to be more "you're wrong" than anything. Some of us feel one and way and others feel the other way... Is one right and the other wrong or do we all just have opinions and egos can't let that happen and need to be right? Not specifically saying you Donnie Schulzhoffer. I'm honestly asking opinions.

Further to your point yes it is early in the season and yes they are exceeding expectations but can people have thoughts about flaws or does it have to be just full on positivity or else?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am relaxed. I'm just calling it as it is.
It’s very likely something big done

I like their centers which is where I thought I’d look to fill but right now no
good team, needs some help. more speed, more grit, more talent in the forward ranks.
wouldn't mind more grit on the D either.

curious on your thoughts. i watch hathaway running around like a f***ing menace with
philly. what are they doing to these guys in boston? freddy too, seems tamer now.
was thinking that with Freddie today- the line was good and he plays well with Coyle so

Get Grzelcyk in lineup - he’s a solid break out machine

I wonder if Pastrnak gets tomorrow off - he got something going on

I guess Poitras is highly thought of by Detroit because they were going after him and even a bit late and out of their way

Reactions: Ladyfan

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Would love to actually know what everyone's belief is when it comes to these boards. Truly.
Are people allowed to have opinions, question things, say the team is soft, say the team only needs skill, question anything? Seems to be more "you're wrong" than anything. Some of us feel one and way and others feel the other way... Is one right and the other wrong or do we all just have opinions and egos can't let that happen and need to be right? Not specifically saying you Donnie Schulzhoffer. I'm honestly asking opinions.

Further to your point yes it is early in the season and yes they are exceeding expectations but can people have thoughts about flaws or does it have to be just full on positivity or else?

its a bell shaped curve.

20% everything is always awesome.
20% everything sucks nothing is ever good enough

60% stuck in the middle.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
where to stsrt.
first time at a game in 5 years.
only good part of the day was it only cost $10 total for round trip for myself and 10 year old daughter from wachusett to the game on the commuter rail.
got a hotdog water 2 beers. 50 bucks.lol
knew we were flat when marchand had the yips on the first PP. our passing was horrid.
had a chance for empty net rebound and hes passing it.
potrais another giveaway as last man back.
we hsd another carlo special on the 3rd goal.
lindholm was horrible.
in fact the only defensemsn that was any goid at getting the puck out was #14.
what a total waste of a day.
team going nowhere when they cant win a faceoff.
Hey did you grab Wachuset 4:20? I saw it say gate 9 boarding and was like a battle scene out of Game of Thrones to train. I couldn’t believe how many people hopped on.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Hey did you grab Wachuset 4:20? I saw it say gate 9 boarding and was like a battle scene out of Game of Thrones to train. I couldn’t believe how many people hopped on.
lol.
oh yeah. i was pissed and went down there early after the 2nd bad call in a row on the bruins to put them down 5 on 3.

Reactions: DKH

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

There were holiday giveaways at TD Garden on Black Friday, and the Red Wings took full advantage.
Detroit pounced on every Bruins mistake — and every loose puck — en route to a 5-2 win that dropped Boston to 14-2-3. Both Bruins regulation losses this season have come at the hands of their Original Six brethren from the Motor City.
Detroit (10-6-3) controlled the pace of play from the opening drop of the first matinee of the season, and the Bruins played as though somebody had sneaked decaf into their morning brew.

“They played fast. We didn’t,” said Bruins coach Jim Montgomery, who didn’t like his club’s forecheck or neutral-zone play.

The Bruins, who came into the game with the second-best penalty kill in the league (89 percent), gave up a pair while shorthanded; the first was a tone-setter and the second was a momentum-killer.

“The only part of our game that I thought was good was our breakouts,” said Montgomery. “The power play wasn’t good. The penalty kill wasn’t good. Not going to win a lot of hockey games when that’s the case.”

Stationed in front of Jeremy Swayman, J.T. Compher chopped down a Shayne Gostisbehere shot from the blue line and redirected it between the goalie’s pads.

Detroit doubled its lead when Alex DeBrincat picked Matt Poitras’s pocket at the Boston blue line, raced in alone on Swayman, and beat him with a wrister on the blocker side.

It was a rookie mistake for sure, but the silver lining was that Poitras didn’t dwell on it and came back with stronger play the rest of the afternoon, creating several good scoring chances.

“I thought [his response] was great and I told him that on the bench,” said Montgomery. “I said, ‘You’re a player who has to carry the puck.’ I’m like, ‘You’re going to turn it over sometimes.’

“But I’m glad the next shift he held it, cut in the middle, let a shot go, and almost scored. I don’t want him to lose his confidence with the puck.”

The Bruins cut the lead in half when Jake DeBrusk connected on the power play, beating goalie Ville Husso with an in-tight forehander off his own rebound for his second goal in two games.

“It’s nice to have back-to-backs personally,” said DeBrusk, “but if it’s not in a win, then it doesn’t really feel that good in a way. But hopefully it gets me back in the groove, and I wouldn’t mind a hot streak, that’s for sure.”

The Bruins could not build on the DeBrusk strike, however, and Robby Fabbri restored the two-goal Detroit lead with a top-shelf dart. Though it wasn’t a power-play goal, it felt like one, as it came just as Mason Lohrei (high sticking) was coming out of the box.

The Bruins came out with a little more jump to start the third and cut into Detroit’s lead when Danton Heinen roofed a blind backhand pass from Charlie Coyle to make it 3-2 at the 4:12 mark.

The Bruins won’t have time to dwell on the loss with a quick turnaround game. The Black and Gold will face another Original Six club Saturday, in another matinee, against the Rangers at Madison Square Garden.

“Yeah, get in the game again and try to adjust things,” said DeBrusk. “Obviously, we didn’t do enough to win tonight, and it’s one of those things that hasn’t happened much this year, so it always feels weird.

“But you move on, and sometimes it’s good to face a new opponent the next day.”

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
I guess Poitras is highly thought of by Detroit because they were going after him and even a bit late and out of their way

He's been getting the welcome to the NHL treatment more often than not lately, I do like that he is shifty enough to seem to avoid getting rocked thus far but I get nervous for him at times......good on him though, it seems he has the awareness and agility to deal with it.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
This isn't necessarily commentary on any of the calls today (though that non-existant high stick in the first was something special), but is it just me or is the officiating markedly worse this year than in years past? They're still able to overcome a lot with their PK performing well, but I think the constant parade to the box and inconsistency on calls is disrupting the forwards' ability to get any rhythm going or know where the line is on physical play. Plus there have been more than a few PPs that nearly instantly get nullified by a make-up call.

Is there a point of emphasis from the league to the refs early in the year, or are the Bruins significantly less disciplined? Or, is it just incompetence from the officials themselves (often the simplest answer is the right one)?

I don't think the 20 men on the ice are committing more and drawing fewer infractions than before. But is not having Bergeron as the mouthpiece to communicate to refs and having Marchand with his reputation causing us to go from getting away with borderline stuff out of respect to be frequently punished on borderline stuff out of disrespect?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He's been getting the welcome to the NHL treatment more often than not lately, I do like that he is shifty enough to seem to avoid getting rocked thus far but I get nervous for him at times......good on him though, he certainly has the awareness and agility to weather it thus far.
Two bad we don’t have a 4th line beast who could have seek out Michael Rasmussen and told him to pick on someone your own size

Really dislike Rasmussen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad