Post-Game Talk: Game #19: Kings 5, Canucks 1 - Two Minutes For Hitting The Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
Tom Sestito was our best forward tonight.
Reputation calls, bogus.

I would not say "best" forward, but I sure noticed him a lot on the forecheck. I, too, thought his boarding call beyond ridiculous.

2 mins for being a goon in a blowout. game management.

It's not the worst thing in the world for the league crack down on "petty thugs time to shine". I hate when goons run around against us too. Sestitio was probably a victim of that here.

The thing is, Clifford was gooing up Daniel the whole first period, Henrik had the full can-opener with no call. The problem is, this too, is game management. I'm of the opinion that this would have been a different outcome had the refs actually blown the whistle once in the first period. As it was, the Kings came out and ran over the Canucks and got away with it. If the Canucks try this the parade begins.

Just my two cents...

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
I would not say "best" forward, but I sure noticed him a lot on the forecheck. I, too, thought his boarding call beyond ridiculous.

The thing is, Clifford was gooing up Daniel the whole first period, Henrik had the full can-opener with no call. The problem is, this too, is game management. I'm of the opinion that this would have been a different outcome had the refs actually blown the whistle once in the first period. As it was, the Kings came out and ran over the Canucks and got away with it. If the Canucks try this the parade begins.

Just my two cents...

Seriously, either the refs make those calls, or the canucks should actually employ a goon to **** up the likes of clifford etc. Sedins are the best players, they have to be protected. I would hate to see the sedins get injured on a cheap shot.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
I don't think you can blame the refs for us losing, but they did really mess up the game with their inconsistent standard and ridiculous calls for, like, Sestito being on the ice or something. The pace was real good until those two bogus calls, one on each team, that they made late in the first and it was strange because there were about a dozen plays already that were worse penalty-wise than either of the plays they called.

I think the Canucks just have a ton of trouble with Sutter's system, going all the way back to when he was coaching the Flames. You gotta out-hit them and out-physical them to win these games and I think Torts messed up going top-heavy early. Should have done the reverse strategy, tough guys early to set the pace and then top-six late. It's on account of he's new to the West, but he'll figure it out.

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
I think the Canucks just have a ton of trouble with Sutter's system, going all the way back to when he was coaching the Flames. You gotta out-hit them and out-physical them to win these games and I think Torts messed up going top-heavy early. Should have done the reverse strategy, tough guys early to set the pace and then top-six late. It's on account of he's new to the West, but he'll figure it out.

I like that idea. The first two lines were buzzing, if they had buried their chances in the first period, it would have been a different game.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Brutal effort in the second half of the game but nobody ever wins 82. Liking what I've seen from Welsh the past few games. As long as he's playing with guys who aren't total mouthbreathers, he could be a decent forward in this league.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Just my two cents...

The only thing consistent in the NHL officials is inconsistency.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Seriously, either the refs make those calls, or the canucks should actually employ a goon to **** up the likes of clifford etc. Sedins are the best players, they have to be protected. I would hate to see the sedins get injured on a cheap shot.

well daniel has been cheapshotted before but not by a goon mind you, a star defenseman on the hawks AKA DUNCAN keith

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Canucks were out hussled most of the game, Quick stifled any early momentum and Kings took advantage of their opportunities. That team is always 'up' for games against us. Tonight they weren't in the same mindset.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
we sure as hell don't want to play them in the playoffs. they will smack our top players around and get the benefit of the doubt on a lot of hits and seem to get all the calls and breaks.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
One issue I have with playing the Kings is they are somehow able to get away with dead puck era level obstruction, interference, hacks, slashes, etc. like few other teams in the league. Chodes like Clifford I couldn't care less about.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
One issue I have with playing the Kings is they are somehow able to get away with dead puck era level obstruction, interference, hacks, slashes, etc. like few other teams in the league. Chodes like Clifford I couldn't care less about.

They out-obstructed the Blues twice and that's saying something.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Must have been nice for the Kings to have young players like Toffoli and Vey contributing. Here we are just crossing our fingers that guys like Jensen, Mallet and Grenier can be contributors at the AHL level.

Outside99*

Of the AHLers, I'd say they all have potential. Dalpe has the sense, speed and puck skills, just needs to be willing to go to the dirty areas. Because when he had the puck, he wasn't completely useless. Archibald has most of the attributes except foot speed. Welch looked like a good 4th liner to me. Can skate, has size, willing to get involved. Not much skill though. It was those 3 that had a good shift in the 2nd that led to Hamhuis' goal.

Analyzing the game,

1st, had some very good shifts that led to nothing. On the GA, some poor play by Richardson on the 1st, and Edler etc.. on the 2nd (they backed up past the hash marks). So we're down 2-0 instead of being tied or even having the lead.

2nd, the first few minutes after the PP were terrible, hemmed n the zone (2 minute shift by Bieksa) and 2-3 consecutive icings, Tanev didn't get on until 5 minutes had elapsed. Then 4th line has a good shift, Tanev bobbles the puck but keeps the play going, Sedin line gets on and Hamhuis scores, 2-1.

Then the 3rd goal - sure Bieksa turns it over but poor coverage by Santo - Richards was all alone - no chance for Luongo.

Then the 4th goal, again poor coverage mostly Garrison. Point blank, no chance for RL.

5th goal after Luongo pulled, another 2 on 1 (obviously team trying to get back into it), not a well played 2 on 1 by Tanev but by then...

The Kings exploited the Canucks' defensive zone gaps, they brought 3 forwards down low on every non 2 on 1 goal.. Can't blame RL for any of them.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Must have been nice for the Kings to have young players like Toffoli and Vey contributing. Here we are just crossing our fingers that guys like Jensen, Mallet and Grenier can be contributors at the AHL level.

it would be nice if Dalpe could be our Toffoli but that not going to happen..

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
the kings forecheck was very good. hence in 2 or 3 of the goals they scored in close. takes the canuck dman away, 1king in front of the net the other 2 making the plays. bang bang its in the net. richards goal, kopitar's strength outmuscling edler? i think

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
While not the reason we lost, I loved how the Canucks were getting basically mauled all night and no calls were forthcoming. Hooks, holds, trips, questionable hits, interference - you name it, you got it! Sestito getting a minor for hitting the boards was pure gold. Couple that with the apparent "chop" to the Sharks player last game and you wonder what the refs are smoking. :laugh:

The 2nd goal that went in off a skate looked like there had been a kicking motion on it... of course, it's the Canucks so what should I expect?

I actually thought we didn't play that badly. Kings love to work the boards and make plays from there into the slot, and we weren't able to cover the open man on two of those goals. Torts has talked about this team's tendency to give up that area of the ice before and they took full advantage.

There's got to be an adjustment vs. heavy forecheck teams like this: The forwards need to come back deeper into the zone to help the D move the puck. Then, short quick passes to start the breakout. This gives up the points, and LA is very good at utilizing the space up high, but I'd rather that than getting beat below the hashmarks. That's where teams like LA are at their best.

This is what I saw as well. Breakout passes were being rushed or pucks thrown away quickly because the forwards either weren't coming back deep enough or not getting open when they were. Would like to see better puck support when teams are laying it on heavy on the forecheck. If you're going to get hit when you retrieve the puck, might as well make it worth it and at least ensure the pass is completed.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
While not the reason we lost, I loved how the Canucks were getting basically mauled all night and no calls were forthcoming. Hooks, holds, trips, questionable hits, interference - you name it, you got it! Sestito getting a minor for hitting the boards was pure gold. Couple that with the apparent "chop" to the Sharks player last game and you wonder what the refs are smoking. :laugh:

The 2nd goal that went in off a skate looked like there had been a kicking motion on it... of course, it's the Canucks so what should I expect?

I actually thought we didn't play that badly. Kings love to work the boards and make plays from there into the slot, and we weren't able to cover the open man on two of those goals. Torts has talked about this team's tendency to give up that area of the ice before and they took full advantage.

This is what I saw as well. Breakout passes were being rushed or pucks thrown away quickly because the forwards either weren't coming back deep enough or not getting open when they were. Would like to see better puck support when teams are laying it on heavy on the forecheck. If you're going to get hit when you retrieve the puck, might as well make it worth it and at least ensure the pass is completed.

Good post. The canucks really reverted back to av style Tonight.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Some think LA gooned it up with us? I didn't see that at all, they played the Sedins hard and that put Sedins off their game. Canucks need to do that and Tommy was doing that great tonight, he had possiblely his best game as a Canuck I really hope he keeps that up cause we need that, I thought our bottom 6 did pretty good job as they answered the kings right back with that grit something we never see and they wore down the Kings for that goal. Kassian wasn't that great tonight and you'd think this is the type of game he would thrive in.

Oddity

Nov 11, 2011
So i was at Real Sports in Toronto for this one. Fortunately for me that meant easy access to alcohol.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Some think LA gooned it up with us? I didn't see that at all, they played the Sedins hard and that put Sedins off their game. Canucks need to do that and Tommy was doing that great tonight, he had possiblely his best game as a Canuck I really hope he keeps that up cause we need that, I thought our bottom 6 did pretty good job as they answered the kings right back with that grit something we never see and they wore down the Kings for that goal. Kassian wasn't that great tonight and you'd think this is the type of game he would thrive in.

I wouldn't say gooned it up, but mucked it up for sure, slowed the game down, a lot of uncalled hooking and holding and interference well away from the puck. Problem was, the Canucks were slow on the uptake in realizing it was gonna be that sort of game, if we'd been doing that on a few of their scoring plays those plays never would have ended up as goals. Everyone assumes that the Canucks would be called if we tried to play that way cause we usually do get called on that stuff, but you can't know it unless you try it! If they call it on us then they have to also start calling some of that same stuff on them, then it becomes a special-teams game.

Canucks never really tried to go to that level and it burned them tonight. Sutter is a master of that sort of thing and has been going way back, Sutter is one guy Torts needs a couple games against to figure out his style and match it with something appropriate of our own.

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
Sutter is a master of that sort of thing and has been going way back, Sutter is one guy Torts needs a couple games against to figure out his style and match it with something appropriate of our own.

I'm very curious to see how the canucks do the next game against the Kings for this reason. A similar situation took place against the Sharks at the beginning of the year. The canucks had their ***** handed to them but came back in the third game and kicked San Jose's ass. In my opinion one of the big reasons why that happened was because Tortorella adjusted his game plan. He learned how the Sharks liked to play and found a way to beat them. I wonder if he can accomplish the same feat against the Kings.

Nov 1, 2011

I think you have to take the temperature of the game and adapt.

LAK were getting away with super late hits. We then need to counter by doing the same thing. I think we tried by running Quick but I'm not sure if we should have just kept going.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
well first meeting against the kings this year, i think torts is learning about teams in the west he'll adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad