Post-Game Talk: Game #19: Kings 5, Canucks 1 - Two Minutes For Hitting The Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
Funny how quick plays like **** for 15 games before he plays the canucks then suddenly goes into beastmode against the canucks.

surprise surprise!

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I thought the hole 3rd line was outplayed. Kassian didn't factor in, and both Richardson and Archibald played sub-par. Richardson for his mistakes and failure to win battles. Archibald for falling behind the play almost every time. That's why I think Archibald was moved to the 4th line in favour of Sestito.

Dalpe has to engage. Someone needs to get in his ear about hustling and being more involved.

Garrison wasn't good. I thought he feared the forecheck a little too much. He's a big guy, that shouldn't be the case with him. Take the hit to make the play JG.

Tanev got worked in this game.

-------

There's got to be an adjustment vs. heavy forecheck teams like this: The forwards need to come back deeper into the zone to help the D move the puck. Then, short quick passes to start the breakout. This gives up the points, and LA is very good at utilizing the space up high, but I'd rather that than getting beat below the hashmarks. That's where teams like LA are at their best.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Discouraging effort

Looked like the Sedins and Kesler hit the wall in this one.

Some of the defensemen wilted under the heavy forecheck - Tanev especially

Luongo stopped being superman

Canucks had troubling finishing chances

Kassian was putrid. Has to be a huge question whether he has it mentally. Absolute no show on the physical front and pawing and reaching at the puck all game

Dalphe given enough time to to show himself and looked very underwhelming. Never once went into a check or play hard. Just sprays snow at his check. Guy who seems to like no touch hockey but hasn't got the skill to get away with it.

Bieska goes back into brain dead mode. His give away was horrible and critical in the game

Some of the things to like

General lay of Lack

Hustle of Archibald - probably a better player than Kassain

-good effort by the second line

-and that's about it

They must be afraid of trying to sneak him down through waivers, losing him for nothing, and being left looking like they burned a 4th rounder on Welsh (albeit with salary retained). I'm not sure what Canucks pro scouting saw here.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
If we lose Dalpe, it'll basically be Welsh for a fourth rounder and Tochkin which doesn't actually look too bad. Welsh has been okay in limited minutes and shows flashes of decent play.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
i quite like what torts did with the last part of this game. he flogged guys like dalpe, who otherwise wouldn't get a chance to prove themselves. dalpe didn't prove himself, but sestito did, i'd say, and neither welsh nor archibald fell totally flat. colour me surprised on sestito.

i wouldn't be too hard on kassian. he was mostly invisible, but this game was out of reach from early on. it's easy to play hard when you rely on chaos, but kassian actually thrives in a structured game: that was lost very early here.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
If we lose Dalpe, it'll basically be Welsh for a fourth rounder and Tochkin which doesn't actually look too bad. Welsh has been okay in limited minutes and shows flashes of decent play.

Yeah, but Dalpe was the key piece, Welsh was supposed to be a contract dump. Welsh has been a pleasant surprise and has salary retained by the Canes which is nice. Dalpe is a flat out disappointment.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Yeah, but Dalpe was the key piece, Welsh was supposed to be a contract dump. Welsh has been a pleasant surprise and has salary retained by the Canes which is nice. Dalpe is a flat out disappointment.
To be fair, this is the only game he played +5 minutes...

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I normally dont notice dalpe or welsh much (i have complimented welsh before for his speed through the neutral zone though, and rushes up ice), maybe my expectations were to low, but i thought they actually were pretty good in the kings zone tonight, sure they didnt do much but its better then our 4th line being hemmed in all the time and I dont look for much more out of our 4th line then staying out of our won zone, they actually cycled for a few decent shift in the kings zone, and threw some pucks on net.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Tom Sestito was our best forward tonight.
Reputation calls, bogus.

2 mins for being a goon in a blowout. game management.

It's not the worst thing in the world for the league crack down on "petty thugs time to shine". I hate when goons run around against us too. Sestitio was probably a victim of that here.

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
my favourite part of the game was when burrows obviously kicked the puck in, but celebrated the goal anyway.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
On Kassian...even when he's playing well, I don't know if there is a forward in the NHL who stops moving his feet as much as he does. A lot of good players keep their feet moving at all times, even if only a little. But numerous times during games I either see Kassian gliding around, or just at a dead stop along the boards, waiting for a puck to arrive. He doesn't have the greatest acceleration in the world, so I have no idea why he keeps doing it. But it's frustrating to watch.

This was a lousy game for him on the tail end of a couple of good ones; but that's a trait I've noticed over time for him.

Anyway...mark this one down to a bad night as a whole. Play better tomorrow, boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad