PGT: Game 19: Canada 1 - Russia 2

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Hate to be a critic, but the Canadian team lacked energy and looked like a midget team at times, with sloppy passing and poor puck support.
The forecheck needs too be way better. I didn't see a lot of decent chances in the third period by TC.
The good news, it's not the medal round, but need a much better effort if they are going to advance.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
Comtois gets beat, Phillips gets beat, Glass tries to help but is too late, and somehow Bouchard gets all the blame for not bailing them out? Maybe he could have recognized earlier that his teammate weren't going to stop the Russian player from getting to the net, but there were already two other guys checking Shen. Other players made bigger mistakes on the play (Phillips mainly) but people just have it in their heads that Bouchard is bad defensively so anything bad that happens while he is out there is automatically his fault.

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
Comtois gets beat, Phillips gets beat, Glass tries to help but is too late, and somehow Bouchard gets all the blame for not bailing them out? Maybe he could have recognized earlier that his teammate weren't going to stop the Russian player from getting to the net, but there were already two other guys checking Shen. Other players made bigger mistakes on the play (Phillips mainly) but people just have it in their heads that Bouchard is bad defensively so anything bad that happens while he is out there is automatically his fault.
Bouchard has looked bad and his stock is trending down. The guy has brutal skating abilities and lead for feet. The dreams of a number one or two defensemen are over Bouchard might be lucky to be a 5th or 6 defenseman in the NHL in a few years.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I think there is too much focus on the breakdown that caused the game winning goal. The bigger concern should be their inability to score.

They were able to light it up against a weak Denmark but struggled against Switzerland.
They were better in the Czech game but there was some bad goaltending to take advantage of.

If they don’t turn things around they could be out in the quarterfinals on home soil.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

When the play happened myself and a few others commented on how Comtois and Philips got walked. Bouchard was the last line of defense and in front of the net. He just stood there and watched. He didn’t even make an attempt forwards shen or the puck. As the Defensman in that position he’s supposed to support there and try to help. He did nothing. Just watched. He’s gifted in the offensive zone but his defensive play has been beyond horrendous. We’re not making this up.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
When the play happened myself and a few others commented on how Comtois and Philips got walked. Bouchard was the last line of defense and in front of the net. He just stood there and watched. He didn’t even make an attempt forwards shen or the puck. As the Defensman in that position he’s supposed to support there and try to help. He did nothing. Just watched. He’s gifted in the offensive zone but his defensive play has been beyond horrendous. We’re not making this up.

You're right, he made a mistake and generally isn't good defensively, I just think it is unfair how he is getting most of the blame on that particular play when three other guys had already failed to stop Shen as well.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Hate to be a critic, but the Canadian team lacked energy and looked like a midget team at times, with sloppy passing and poor puck support.
The forecheck needs too be way better. I didn't see a lot of decent chances in the third period by TC.
The good news, it's not the medal round, but need a much better effort if they are going to advance.

This is pretty accurate. They also tried to get too fancy on a whole lot of plays. So many good chances to get shots on net and they go for the extra move only to be stripped or blocked, was very frustrating.

Reactions: RED ARMY EAST

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
This is pretty accurate. They also tried to get too fancy on a whole lot of plays. So many good chances to get shots on net and they go for the extra move only to be stripped or blocked, was very frustrating.
Exactly. Keep it simple if your struggling to generate offence. Simplify the game, get pucks to the net. More net front presence and less perimeter play!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What is the story in Canada on the constant diving from the Canadian kids in the WJC?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
This is a pretty unlikeable Canadian team. Diving, poor coverage, no gamebreakers...yuck. DiPietro has played well but he’s not enough to push them to the finals.

The top line is a third or fourth line on that 2015 team.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Comtois gets beat, Phillips gets beat, Glass tries to help but is too late, and somehow Bouchard gets all the blame for not bailing them out?
Maybe he could have recognized earlier that his teammate weren't going to stop the Russian player from getting to the net, but there were already two other guys checking Shen. Other players made bigger mistakes on the play (Phillips mainly) but people just have it in their heads that Bouchard is bad defensively so anything bad that happens while he is out there is automatically his fault.

WJC has always been about blaming other teams prospects for shitty results.

Reactions: My3Sons

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
They were the much better team in the second and third period with an even first period. Safe to say, if played multiple times, outcome would likely be different. Yes, they made mistakes and it cost them. Just move on.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Bouchard has looked bad and his stock is trending down. The guy has brutal skating abilities and lead for feet. The dreams of a number one or two defensemen are over Bouchard might be lucky to be a 5th or 6 defenseman in the NHL in a few years.

All over at 19?

Your first sentence is true. The rest is pure hyperbole.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is a pretty unlikeable Canadian team. Diving, poor coverage, no gamebreakers...yuck. DiPietro has played well but he’s not enough to push them to the finals.

The top line is a third or fourth line on that 2015 team.

Canada always has so great depth that they can beat anyone. But it’s been like this with the diving for many years now. EVERY big game Canada plays there are big issues with dives on 2-3 plays. Without exception.

It’s too bad because it used to be special to watch Canada in the WJC. Some of the best games I’ve seen following hockey has been with Canada at the WJC. Now you get that feeling that you want to rape shower after seing them play. Ugh...

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Canada always has so great depth that they can beat anyone. But it’s been like this with the diving for many years now. EVERY big game Canada plays there are big issues with dives on 2-3 plays. Without exception.

It’s too bad because it used to be special to watch Canada in the WJC. Some of the best games I’ve seen following hockey has been with Canada at the WJC. Now you get that feeling that you want to rape shower after seing them play. Ugh...

Such an odd post. And please, stop pretending like you were ever a big Canada fan or even respected them. I've been around this forum long enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad