PGT: Game 19: Canada 1 - Russia 2

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
great result for this young Russian team, which is really lacking major creative players (most of course by coaching staff's decision). The team is built to play Canada, but it's USA that will be in the way - and that's a different fast paced skilled team, which will make us suffer.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Comtois gets beat, Phillips gets beat, Glass tries to help but is too late, and somehow Bouchard gets all the blame for not bailing them out? Maybe he could have recognized earlier that his teammate weren't going to stop the Russian player from getting to the net, but there were already two other guys checking Shen. Other players made bigger mistakes on the play (Phillips mainly) but people just have it in their heads that Bouchard is bad defensively so anything bad that happens while he is out there is automatically his fault.
They were all rightfully blamed in the GDT when the play happened. Bouchard has a microscope on him because he was supposed to be the #1 guy and has been one of the worst players defensively for Canada so far.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Such an odd post. And please, stop pretending like you were ever a big Canada fan or even respected them. I've been around this forum long enough.

I don’t get the last part? Just for the record I’ve never been a Canada fan, I am from Sweden... ;)

And Canada’s diving is like what EVERYONE in the hockey world is talking about lol. Just like Neymar at the World Cup.

Did you see the comment from Russia’s captain after the game? Canada have been involved in at least 3-4 really ugly diving incident in every big game they played in the WJC the last years, the other teams at the most have like what 2-3 incidents per tournament and Sweden haven’t had one in 3-4 years.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Both deserve the criticisms they are getting. Comotios diving is going to cost Canada a game, if it didn't already. Bouchard is gifted minutes while being a disaster and not even being good at what he was brought on the team for right now. His play on the game winning goal was pretty horrible. As was his D partner who is another issue.

The bottom line is the D core just isnt very good this year. That's the weakness, they dont breakout very well or contain the other team which doesnt allow the forwards to flourish.

Dobson needs more ice time, he has been the most solid D man by far, they gotta start riding him if they want to have a chance.

Does anyone else find that Hayton is just killing his line? He always tries to do too much, just move the puck and go, too much stick handling. I really think outside of the first line its time to mix things up here. Get Frost in the middle so he can distribute.

I thought it was an even game from two good teams, could have gone either way. Canada has a big test coming up but I think this loss may be a blessing in disguise. If Canada had snuck this win out then got by Slovakia easily I dont think they would be ready to play a very strong team.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
great result for this young Russian team, which is really lacking major creative players (most of course by coaching staff's decision). The team is built to play Canada, but it's USA that will be in the way - and that's a different fast paced skilled team, which will make us suffer.

I had no idea Romanov was such a good player it's looking like he was a great pick by the Habs

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Despite the result I was not delighted by Russia's play. The shots on goal were about even, but Canada was getting the better scoring chances and looking more dynamic most of the time.

Russia went many stretches without creating anything offensively. They weren't crashing the net nearly enough for my liking. Outside of the Kravtsov line, offensive creativity was minimal. Kravtsov's feed to Denisenko for the first goal is the only impressive cross-ice pass I remember from the game. DiPietro was seeing most of the pucks.

On the bright side, this is one steady team. Very solid positionally, with strong mobile blueliners who play their man well and distribute the puck effectively. The forwards play hard and win puck battles. There were also very few ill-advised passes.

It's a Bragin team through and through, with all the good and the bad that comes with it. I am not betting my house on them winning the gold, but they might just grind their way to one. Maybe they are due.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
This loss may be a blessing. Wake them up a bit...

I still can't see the positive side from this game. It would have been different if there was a lack of effort. The effort was there but it appears they just don't have the scoring ability required to win this tournament.

Also, I would have much rather faced Slovakia in the quarterfinals than Finland. This could turn out to be a real disaster.

Reactions: mjtm777

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Despite the result I was not delighted by Russia's play. The shots on goal were about even, but Canada was getting the better scoring chances and looking more dynamic most of the time.

Russia went many stretches without creating anything offensively. They weren't crashing the net nearly enough for my liking. Outside of the Kravtsov line, offensive creativity was minimal. Kravtsov's feed to Denisenko for the first goal is the only impressive cross-ice pass I remember from the game. DiPietro was seeing most of the pucks.

On the bright side, this is one steady team. Very solid positionally, with strong mobile blueliners who play their man well and distribute the puck effectively. The forwards play hard and win puck battles. There were also very few ill-advised passes.

It's a Bragin team through and through, with all the good and the bad that comes with it. I am not betting my house on them winning the gold, but they might just grind their way to one. Maybe they are due.
There's still potential from improvement.. 1st period russia pressed a lot harder, I think they gave up the initiative because they were tired after the Swiss game

Reactions: Atas2000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad