GDT: Game 19: Bruins @ Coyotes - 6PM - FSAZ+ - Now With Less Stickiness

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
No doubt our PP coaching is terrible and is not getting better. It may even be getting worse so I agree MacLean needs to disappear. But at the same time, these players are professionals. They should be able to do better then this even if no one is telling them how to line up and where to pass the puck.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No doubt our PP coaching is terrible and is not getting better. It may even be getting worse so I agree MacLean needs to disappear. But at the same time, these players are professionals. They should be able to do better then this even if no one is telling them how to line up and where to pass the puck.
Most times I would agree with this, but our PP shows no life. If we are making adjustments it's not working. If we are to make the playoffs, our PP has to start producing.

Reactions: MIG

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Not really. Mermis 10 games, Bush 9, Oesterle 96. Hard to win with half your D corps more or less rookies.

Not many NHL games, but Mermis is 24 and this is his 4th "pro" season, Lyubushkin 24 with over 250 KHL games, and Oesterle is 26 having made NHL appearances with 3 teams.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't blame them. It was OEL and Hammer with less than stellar plays that led to the two Bruin goals.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not many NHL games, but Mermis is 24 and this is his 4th "pro" season, Lyubushkin 24 with over 250 KHL games, and Oesterle is 26 having made NHL appearances with 3 teams.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't blame them. It was OEL and Hammer with less than stellar plays that led to the two Bruin goals.
I think Oesterle was more to blame than OEL, but still a lazy play by OEL. OEL was stellar the rest of the game.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I think Oesterle was more to blame than OEL, but still a lazy play by OEL. OEL was stellar the rest of the game.

Yeah. I just watched the replay. OEL's pass was off the mark, but Oesterle could have put more effort into preventing the goal. Lack of urgency the first five minutes of the game sunk us.

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
What was different about the players on the ice tonight compared to the predators game? Chayka has given us a solid roster, more than we as fans should expect with the budget. The team just didn't show up early on.

That point I'm trying to make, is the guys we've been hoping would develop and be the players they aren't, surprisingly aren't doing enough. This was a winnable game, especially for a want to be playoff team. Believe me I understand you can't win them all, and some games you just don't win - like Nashville was telling itself when we beat them. However, over the first 20 games, you tell me who have been our absolute best players. Our best player has been grabs. Started out slow (first 4 games) but he's been constant ever since. Keller dazzles with the puck but has been on the perimeter for almost the entire season. So again, for those of us who want this team to actually make the playoffs and compete, we need to recognize that although we've improved, this group of guys isn't going to cut it. Apparently you haven't come to that conclusion.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That point I'm trying to make, is the guys we've been hoping would develop and be the players they aren't, surprisingly aren't doing enough. This was a winnable game, especially for a want to be playoff team. Believe me I understand you can't win them all, and some games you just don't win - like Nashville was telling itself when we beat them. However, over the first 20 games, you tell me who have been our absolute best players. Our best player has been grabs. Started out slow (first 4 games) but he's been constant ever since. Keller dazzles with the puck but has been on the perimeter for almost the entire season. So again, for those of us who want this team to actually make the playoffs and compete, we need to recognize that although we've improved, this group of guys isn't going to cut it. Apparently you haven't come to that conclusion.

After a loss everyone thinks it's the end of the world. We are either too soft, too slow, too inconsistent etc. etc. and when we win it's all roses. Right now we are three points out of the playoffs and I expect us to be in the mix all year, but to say this "group of guys isn't going to cut it" is foolish. Most experts and posters pick the Coyotes to miss the playoffs, so to be in the mix right now is impressive, especially with the injuries.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
After a loss everyone thinks it's the end of the world. We are either too soft, too slow, too inconsistent etc. etc. and when we win it's all roses. Right now we are three points out of the playoffs and I expect us to be in the mix all year, but to say this "group of guys isn't going to cut it" is foolish. Most experts and posters pick the Coyotes to miss the playoffs, so to be in the mix right now is impressive, especially with the injuries.

Three points out- and Vancouver have played three more games... Anaheim is also one point ahead, but they have played two more games...

"In the mix" is actually not a hyperbole.

Last edited:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

To me it boils down to wanting them to be either a contender or developing to be a contender. Whether we squeak into the playoffs to get embarrassed in the first round doesn't matter to me. That's why I am so insistent on actively developing the young guys by getting them big time minutes up in the lineup and on the PP. I have nothing against Cousins. He's a solid 4th liner. I have a major issue when he's on the top line while Strome is wasting away on the 4th or scratched. I'd much rather get another shot to be disappointed in the lottery while we are seeing if Strome can develop into a top six center. Same thing goes for Fischer getting banished while Panik dogs it every other game on the 1st line and 1st PP. I don't believe that's a good move for the player or the organization. We're simply not a contender with the vets we have in the top six so we need to work harder developing the guys that at least have potential to get there.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
To me it boils down to wanting them to be either a contender or developing to be a contender. Whether we squeak into the playoffs to get embarrassed in the first round doesn't matter to me. That's why I am so insistent on actively developing the young guys by getting them big time minutes up in the lineup and on the PP. I have nothing against Cousins. He's a solid 4th liner. I have a major issue when he's on the top line while Strome is wasting away on the 4th or scratched. I'd much rather get another shot to be disappointed in the lottery while we are seeing if Strome can develop into a top six center. Same thing goes for Fischer getting banished while Panik dogs it every other game on the 1st line and 1st PP. I don't believe that's a good move for the player or the organization. We're simply not a contender with the vets we have in the top six so we need to work harder developing the guys that at least have potential to get there.

I agree. Coaches are in the business to win. They don't they are fired. RT was given a roster and it's his job to put those players into a position to be successful so the team is successful. We have had a fair amount of success so far this year and really my only gripe, besides the PP, is sitting anyone for Archibald and having to put Cousins on a line above his pay grade. Strome, Perlini, Fischer and Crouse have been given the opportunity, especially in the early part of the year to shine and none have taken that next step. Is that the fault of the coach? The player? Both? I would say both. It's hard to play in the NHL and confidence and consistency play a big role in a players development. I have said it before, but in order for this team to make the playoffs, these kids have to take that step NOW, and our PP the same.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It's hard to play in the NHL and confidence and consistency play a big role in a players development. I have said it before, but in order for this team to make the playoffs, these kids have to take that step NOW, and our PP the same.
If the coach affords them the consistency that you keep clamoring for, they will consistently make the same mistakes.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
If the coach affords them the consistency that you keep clamoring for, they will consistently make the same mistakes.
I have to ask, three of the four names mentioned have played 100+ games. When are these "same mistakes" corrected? Strome I'll cut some slack, however it is becoming more and more obvious that he'll be a GREAT 3rd or 4th line center at best. Scratched twice already this season and is galloping along at .33 pts. a game.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Hey guys (and girls?), We just moved to Phoenix after 17 years in Boston, so it was nice to get to see my team play at least once in a season. Really impressed with the Gila River arena, and with the reception from the Coyotes fans. Nothing at all like going to an away game in NY or Philadelphia. Being here has allowed me to see a lot more of the Yotes and I'm impressed with the young kids. I think they'll help make the team competitive for a long while. Now if only McLelland could figure out a PP. (saw that more than once in this thread!)

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I have to ask, three of the four names mentioned have played 100+ games. When are these "same mistakes" corrected? Strome I'll cut some slack, however it is becoming more and more obvious that he'll be a GREAT 3rd or 4th line center at best. Scratched twice already this season and is galloping along at .33 pts. a game.
I can only answer that with another question, or options.... if you will.

So, you're for either moving all four, or playing Archibald/Cousins (often times) ahead of them?

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
I can only answer that with another question, or options.... if you will.

So, you're for either moving all four, or playing Archibald/Cousins (often times) ahead of them?
So, as I understand it, you're for accepting mistakes for players that have 100+ NHL games and not being held accountable? Never said anything about moving any of them, you just equated playing time consistency with consistently making the same mistakes.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
It took about three months for Tocchet to evolve and progress on his own set ideas last year; let's hope it takes him a bit less time this season.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
So, as I understand it, you're for accepting mistakes for players that have 100+ NHL games and not being held accountable? Never said anything about moving any of them, you just equated playing time consistency with consistently making the same mistakes.
Reduced playing time = accountability.

What I was suggesting to Jakey is that the more consistent their ice time (w/o repercussion) the longer the mistakes continue. I should have been more clear, but it seems you understood anyhow, based on your last sentence. So my question remains.

Reduced ice time being the only means to get them to take notice, aside from moving them.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Make no mistake boys, this team is closer than the majority of the comments reflect. Boston came out with a vengeance and we were not prepared, if we were, we'd have been victors. You need look no further than the years of failure of the Oilers (who had top pick after top pick) to understand the difficulties in playing at this level. I've been critical of RT in the past and will continue to be so, but overall he's got us on the right track. Players do indeed need to execute, but it's a big learning curve.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Reduced playing time = accountability.

What I was suggesting to Jakey is that the more consistent their ice time (w/o repercussion) the longer the mistakes continue. I should have been more clear, but it seems you understood anyhow, based on your last sentence. So my question remains.

Reduced ice time being the only means to get them to take notice, aside from moving them.
I might of misunderstood you, I was looking at the games played (experience) and the mistakes made. I think you were trying to say that the 'wake-up' call would be REDUCED ice time IF the same mistakes were being made.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I might of misunderstood you, I was looking at the games played (experience) and the mistakes made. I think you were trying to say that the 'wake-up' call would be REDUCED ice time IF the same mistakes were being made.
I think that is what we are witnessing. RT does not seem to be the kind that is going to skate lessor players for the hell of it, but rather because they play more consistently w/o mistakes. Using them as a stop gap if you will, while the players in question explore different situations and develop. An over skated young player can come to the bench and barely remember what happened in a recent shift. Until the ability to read and react at each level is mastered, reduced ice time can not only be a wake up call, but a means to enforce/increase knowledge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad