GDT: Game 19. Blues at the Dead Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Tough loss to swallow. We were clearly the better team overall, but their goalie made the big saves and ours didn't. It happens in hockey, just gotta move on to the next one. Couple of other thoughts:

Tarasenko's shot is still pretty doo-doo. He regained the zip on it, but he can't pick a spot the way he used to. If we had old Tarasenko playing with Thomas the way Thomas is finding him right now, he'd be leading the league in goals and it wouldn't even be close. Far too often he just rips the puck into the goalies chest/pads. It sucks to see, b/c Thomas (For all everyone wants to shit on him for not shooting) is making passes I haven't seen a Blues player make since maybe Turgeon/Demitra. It's unreal how he can find guys in dangerous areas and put the puck through sticks/legs/whatever and find the tape. Some of them don't work out to be sure, but the vast majority of them do, and almost all the ones that do lead to a PRIME scoring chance.

Scandella is having a rough go of it. I hope he figures it out soon b/c there are no reinforcements coming over the hill anytime soon.

Finally, I love the skill the Blues have up front. But our forwards have been VERY lax in the defensive zone all year. I don't mind taking chances when you have the puck in the offensive zone, that's how you create offense. But you have to be defensively responsible too. I'd like to see ROR and Schenn get the team back to that mentality a little bit.

Perhaps I am remembering wrong but didn't Tarasenko miss the net all the time before his shoulder problems? He was always aiming for corners and he either hit or missed the net entirely. IMO it seems like now he almost never misses the net because he's not aiming for corners anymore, he's just trying to blow it through the goalie. I think that has to do with confidence in accuracy, not necessarily actual accuracy.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Tough loss to swallow. We were clearly the better team overall, but their goalie made the big saves and ours didn't. It happens in hockey, just gotta move on to the next one. Couple of other thoughts:

Tarasenko's shot is still pretty doo-doo. He regained the zip on it, but he can't pick a spot the way he used to. If we had old Tarasenko playing with Thomas the way Thomas is finding him right now, he'd be leading the league in goals and it wouldn't even be close. Far too often he just rips the puck into the goalies chest/pads. It sucks to see, b/c Thomas (For all everyone wants to shit on him for not shooting) is making passes I haven't seen a Blues player make since maybe Turgeon/Demitra. It's unreal how he can find guys in dangerous areas and put the puck through sticks/legs/whatever and find the tape. Some of them don't work out to be sure, but the vast majority of them do, and almost all the ones that do lead to a PRIME scoring chance.

Scandella is having a rough go of it. I hope he figures it out soon b/c there are no reinforcements coming over the hill anytime soon.

Finally, I love the skill the Blues have up front. But our forwards have been VERY lax in the defensive zone all year. I don't mind taking chances when you have the puck in the offensive zone, that's how you create offense. But you have to be defensively responsible too. I'd like to see ROR and Schenn get the team back to that mentality a little bit.

Tarasenko would be leading the league and it wouldn’t be close? Draisaitl has 25. So Tarasenko would have 30 so far? He’d be on pace for over 100g.

Reactions: Blueston

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Drai just scored his 20th last night. I think Tarasenko would be above that if he could still snipe. Just one man's opinion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad