GDT: Game 19. Blues at the Dead Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
this is why i miss people like backes on this team. he was one of the best people that could drag linemates into the game when they continued to do some garbage like thomas does.

its fine to be a pass first player, adam oates made a HOF career out of it. but at some point during a game, you have to have a sense of urgency. when you are down a goal with time expiring and in prime scoring areas, you simply do not pass shit up. and he does it.....ALL THE TIME

for the right package, hes 100% tradeable imo. Hes a good player and very talented but IMO hes not a smart player and hes way too passive.
Schenn is that guy. But was his first game back and his timing was off. So hard to lead when you are ineffective.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Lol Thomas has easily been one of the best Blues all year. He has been shooting a lot more recently.

I honestly didn't blame him for not shooting there. He was a right hand shot on the right side with no angle. He passed to a left hand shot. The guy is that smart to notice those details

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
this is why i miss people like backes on this team. he was one of the best people that could drag linemates into the game when they continued to do some garbage like thomas does.

its fine to be a pass first player, adam oates made a HOF career out of it. but at some point during a game, you have to have a sense of urgency. when you are down a goal with time expiring and in prime scoring areas, you simply do not pass shit up. and he does it.....ALL THE TIME

for the right package, hes 100% tradeable imo. Hes a good player and very talented but IMO hes not a smart player and hes way too passive.
Yes. Way too passive.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Man that was a tough luck loss if there ever was one. Liked the way we played for the most part, just gotta stick with it.
I'm gonna get drunk now :cheers:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I missed this game to attend my own birthday party. I don't feel too bad about missing it now that I know The Blues lost, but, I'll probably watch it tomorrow morning, before everyone else wakes up, just to keep my streak alive of watching all The Blues' games, and to see how their younger players played.

526f93fa511472a6b6c38c8903e55468.jpg

Reactions: TK 421 and Robb_K

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Like I said last game, sometimes you play like shit and win, sometimes you play like nothing can touch you and lose, and tonight happened to be a night where we outplayed Detroit and lost. Blues had tons of good looks, plenty of scoring opportunities, but our mistakes cost us the game. Husso played well enough to win, but the forwards HAVE to start converting on some of these chances. Buch could've seriously had 3 goals and a few assists if the puck luck goes the other way. Perunovich probably could've had one, Scandella should've buried his opportunity. There's plenty to like here offensively, but Scandella is getting burned on a lot of plays recently. I can't quite tell if he's tired or just making the wrong play, but that's definitely an area that has needed an upgrade and it feels like Scandella is probably the odd man out if that's where we buy. I didn't get an opportunity to really watch Mikkola play, but Pang and JK seemed to think he played well. There were parts I heard where he got caught trying to pass it around the boards or get out of the zone and was pressured pretty hard, but that's about it. Hopefully Army sees the weakness on the backend, though I don't know if he's going to be able to upgrade like he wants to.

Reactions: stlwahoo

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Schenn & Perron mostly. A little bit O'Reilly, but he's still very effective in general
Perron has 18 points in 19 games. He just came off one of his best games against Vegas. He is doing fine, despite a lot of the posts on this board. When he’s not playing his best and is still at a PPG, that’s a good sign.

As for Schenn, he just missed like 3 weeks. Of course he’s gonna be rusty. He’s only 30, I don’t see a decline happening yet.

Reactions: Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Seems like all he is really good for most nights

Yep - MacMac is more effective in that role if that's all Kostin has to offer. If Kostin had any value around the league, he'd be an easy chip for Army to cash in without having to worry about it coming back to bite him in the ass.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
I missed this game to attend my own birthday party. I don't feel too bad about missing it now that I know The Blues lost, but, I'll probably watch it tomorrow morning, before everyone else wakes up, just to keep my streak alive of watching all The Blues' games, and to see how their younger players played.

Happy Birthday!

Reactions: Robb_K

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Tough loss to swallow. We were clearly the better team overall, but their goalie made the big saves and ours didn't. It happens in hockey, just gotta move on to the next one. Couple of other thoughts:

Tarasenko's shot is still pretty doo-doo. He regained the zip on it, but he can't pick a spot the way he used to. If we had old Tarasenko playing with Thomas the way Thomas is finding him right now, he'd be leading the league in goals and it wouldn't even be close. Far too often he just rips the puck into the goalies chest/pads. It sucks to see, b/c Thomas (For all everyone wants to shit on him for not shooting) is making passes I haven't seen a Blues player make since maybe Turgeon/Demitra. It's unreal how he can find guys in dangerous areas and put the puck through sticks/legs/whatever and find the tape. Some of them don't work out to be sure, but the vast majority of them do, and almost all the ones that do lead to a PRIME scoring chance.

Scandella is having a rough go of it. I hope he figures it out soon b/c there are no reinforcements coming over the hill anytime soon.

Finally, I love the skill the Blues have up front. But our forwards have been VERY lax in the defensive zone all year. I don't mind taking chances when you have the puck in the offensive zone, that's how you create offense. But you have to be defensively responsible too. I'd like to see ROR and Schenn get the team back to that mentality a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad