GDT: Game #18: Kings vs Coyotes - 7:00pm (AZ) - Scripps

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Team D and PP play is certainly down since Hayton has been out. Not enough net front play on the PP and tougher assignments for our other Cs. I think you under estimate Hayton's value, which isn't as apparent in the stats.
IF we had any resemblance of a 1C on our roster Hayton would not be playing there. I hope you know that with being 1C comes "tougher assignments." Also, find me another 1C in the entire league with a mind blowing 4pts. which is apparent in the stats. Today, Hayton, as it stands, is not very good, no matter how you look at it. Will he get better. Probably, can't get much worse.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
IF we had any resemblance of a 1C on our roster Hayton would not be playing there. I hope you know that with being 1C comes "tougher assignments." Also, find me another 1C in the entire league with a mind blowing 4pts. which is apparent in the stats. Today, Hayton, as it stands, is not very good, no matter how you look at it. Will he get better. Probably, can't get much worse.
I didn't say he is a 1C, just stated his value to our team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why do you have a weird hate boner for Hayton?
Weird hate boner? IF he played for any other team most on this board would be calling him a bust. Hayton just pisses me off so damn much because he can't take that next step. He has been given the best opportunity by playing with our two best forwards yet he has basically stunk up the place. All I hear is he "gets the toughest assignments, he stands in front of the net, he's good at draws, he always starts slow etc." Cry me a river. This year he is 139th is FO%, 151st. scoring for C's, 107th in PP pts. I know players can't be good at everything, but after last year I thought for sure he would be a 60 pt. player, and we needed that from him, yet he goes AWOL. Maybe I should be asking "why do you have a love boner for Hayton?" His play has not been good enough, simple as that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
because apparently stats are all that matter
For a 1C it's right up there in the equation. IF Hayton played like last year I would be disappointed because I would expect more, but at least his play would be acceptable.

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
For a 1C it's right up there in the equation. IF Hayton played like last year I would be disappointed because I would expect more, but at least his play would be acceptable.
You say he's played like ass - strong wording indeed - and have yet to provide anything more substantial than saying "he scored n points in m games".
This just reeks of someone who does a SELECT PLAYERS FROM COYOTES ORDER BY POINTS ASC and calls the TOP10 results out for being bad.
Doesnt give of the appearance of an educated hockey opinion

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
You say he's played like ass - strong wording indeed - and have yet to provide anything more substantial than saying "he scored n points in m games".
This just reeks of someone who does a SELECT PLAYERS FROM COYOTES ORDER BY POINTS ASC and calls the TOP10 results out for being bad.
Hey, we all had to start our study of analytics *somewhere*

Reactions: TheLegend

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Look at how the team has been playing without Hayton. He makes this team a lot better. Do you watch the games Jakey?
I sure do. You can defend Hayton all you want, and many do. I don't defend him on the way he is playing. The first line is shit 5on5. Why is that? Keller and Schmaltz got more than half their pts. on the PP that was clicking at about 31%, which will come down. Last year the first line did much better 5on5. Why is that? If your first line can't produce 5on5 you are in big trouble. And stop with all this tougher assignments, good D play, he's a late starter etc. etc. BS. All first line's have the tougher matchups most times. Hayton was better last year, many thought he would be better this year, including me, but he hasn't. You do know that there is more than Hayton injured, and with our lack of depth is the reason the team is having a hard time right now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jesus man, look at the first line performance this year. I keep on repeating myself but everyone seems to think I'm wrong. The first line performance 5on5 is the worst on the team, downright terrible, even though our two best wingers are on that line. Is it all Hayton's fault, of course not, but the C has to carry the puck, distribute the puck etc. and Hayton hasn't being doing that. And please don't say he wins board battles, or he stands in front of the net and he should have more goals. Our second and third line C's have played better than Hayton. Is this an good enough "educated hockey opinion" for you? For what it's worth, what is your educated hockey opinion on Hayton's prowess playing 1C

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
Bjugstad would be pretty damn good there imo, but Bear would be nuts to break up his line.
agree bjug/macc/crouse has been by far our best line 5v5, but Id like to see bjug C kell/schmtz - its obvious those 2 need a guy to get in front of the net or get puck in tight corners (not cooley game), hopefully jump start those 2, then cooley slide in w MM y crouse (i think those chemistry is what carries that line more than bjug) and crouse is the dirty job guy MM is the playmaker and lessens cooley role, hopefully jump starting him 5v5.
I want to see a playoff push but until top line produces 5v5 not going to happen, Id even try mcbain (when gets back) w kell/schmtz.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
agree bjug/macc/crouse has been by far our best line 5v5, but Id like to see bjug C kell/schmtz - its obvious those 2 need a guy to get in front of the net or get puck in tight corners (not cooley game), hopefully jump start those 2, then cooley slide in w MM y crouse (i think those chemistry is what carries that line more than bjug) and crouse is the dirty job guy MM is the playmaker and lessens cooley role, hopefully jump starting him 5v5.
I want to see a playoff push but until top line produces 5v5 not going to happen, Id even try mcbain (when gets back) w kell/schmtz.
When everyone was healthy our 2nd. 3rd. and 4th. lines were producing on 5on5, so I think that is the reason Bear didn't do any juggling, and also our PP was hitting on all eight cylinders with Keller and Schmaltz. Now our PP is drying up and even with juggling, our first line 5on5 is still AWOL. With injuries to Hayton and McBain kind of limits Bear's line juggling. Maybe break up Keller and Schmaltz.:dunno:

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
So... Elias Lindholm would be a great addition if he was the center between Keller and Schmaltz? And if we could get Zadorov to help settle down the defense and give it some toughness.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So... Elias Lindholm would be a great addition if he was the center between Keller and Schmaltz? And if we could get Zadorov to help settle down the defense and give it some toughness.
And what do you think we would have to give up?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Well, it’s usually pairs, so maybe. I wouldn’t consider it if Hayton wasn’t injured though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Minny is going to throw in the towel, I’d prefer to trade for Middleton rather than Zadorov. I’m lot really interested in UFAs. I’d rather have a younger guy with some term.

For Zadorov, Florida's 2nd (conditional)
With Lindholm, enough to make you complain about it...
I think CGY can get two 2nds for Zadorov.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
If Minny is going to throw in the towel, I’d prefer to trade for Middleton rather than Zadorov. I’m lot really interested in UFAs. I’d rather have a younger guy with some term.

I think CGY can get two 2nds for Zadorov.
Maybe at the trade deadline, pretty limited to who can afford the cap ATM and I doubt that Calgary would retain. Tanev would likely be more sought after and have retention as well as Hanifin. I think Zadorov would re-sign if he was traded to AZ and for less then the reported $5M. I just like the added dimension that he would give the Coyotes. I speculate that he would have made a difference in a couple of our losses. And I like the Russian veteran for when we get the infusion of Russian prospects. We probably need to add a defensive prospect to the add.
Even though I keep harping on getting Lindholm, I would guess the ask would start with Geekie...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad