GDT: Game #18: Kings vs Coyotes - 7:00pm (AZ) - Scripps

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Our real problem is the same problem we've always had.

We need an actual #1 center and until we have one our 5 on 5 offense will be mediocre at best. You can't have a good offense 5 on 5 in the NHL without one. (our Defense is also ass but I feel that's solvable over time)

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Our real problem is the same problem we've always had.

We need an actual #1 center and until we have one our 5 on 5 offense will be mediocre at best. You can't have a good offense 5 on 5 in the NHL without one. (our Defense is also ass but I feel that's solvable over time)
Yup. Last year when Hayton was playing like a 2C, that line did fine 5on5, but this year he has been playing like ass, and that line 5on5 is almost non existent. Our PP so far this year covered a lot of other problems, but now that it is coming down to earth everything else that is wrong gets magnified.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
So you think Hayton creates space for Keller and Schmaltz? Look, I'm not going to discuss Hayton any longer. You like him, I don't, at least in his current role.
Good decision.

They are getting more than half their pts. on the PP. Once that cools off, and it will or has, they might start to struggle a bit if they can't get a C that can look at least half assed in that spot. Last year Keller and Schmaltz got a total of 32 PP pts. that's it. That's when they had a C that was average in Hayton. Hayton has been shit this year and that line 5 on 5 has been crap because of it. I have no idea why everyone keeps on sugar coating the play of Hayton this year. Maybe this injury might let him take a deep breath and come back and be at least serviceable.
So much for that eh?

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen and Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It was quite frequently Domi, before they moved him to C. Then it was typically Panik during their run of winning in the 2nd half. Domi was actually holding Keller back to some extent because Domi kept blowing prime scoring chances after he lost his shot from the broken hand. Dude had a wet noodle arm for about 2 years.

Is there some discontent with Cooley's play, I'm getting that reading a lot of replies in here? I mean he's not instantly an all star but he's been great. A few stinkers lately when the team is on the skids? not really a concern. He's 19, was drafted last year, and is playing 16 minutes a night in the NHL. It's not even been 20 games. The only Coyotes prospect that exceeded what he's doing at age 19 is.....Keller. And he's doing it while being more productive than all his draft classmates.
I’m not discontented. I am concerned he may have been brought up too soon. I was very confident when they brought Keller up, but back then I had access to watching most of camp.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Yup. Last year when Hayton was playing like a 2C, that line did fine 5on5, but this year he has been playing like ass, and that line 5on5 is almost non existent. Our PP so far this year covered a lot of other problems, but now that it is coming down to earth everything else that is wrong gets magnified.
Maybe playing like ass is an asshat mandate, just for YOU Jakey!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
So what is the solution? We don't have a 1C, pretty sure we all know that. Hayton was a 50 point C last year, likely still is this year. Schmaltz is a 60 point forward if he stays healthy, Keller 75-90 points. Hayton started slow last year too, our 5 on 5 play early in the year last year was likely the same for our first line.

Hayton has played great D and his screens have contributed to some goals as well. I just don't see any surprises or anything different this year? PP is better, mostly because we added Cooley/Durzi. Our overall GF is better and in the top half of NHL because of our PP mostly.

We don't have any other viable 1C solutions until Cooley matures (on D) most likely, for now Hayton is the clear 1C choice, not ideal, but like Hanzal/Stepan. Is what it is.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
In the past, I've advocated with trying to acquire both Nylander and Reinhardt. Both have priced themselves out of my wish list. So now I have Lindholm and Zadorov on my Christmas list. I hope Santa comes through this year since he hasn't got me my new arena yet! (Is it too early or should have I waited until friday to post this?)

Reactions: Heldig

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So what is the solution? We don't have a 1C, pretty sure we all know that. Hayton was a 50 point C last year, likely still is this year. Schmaltz is a 60 point forward if he stays healthy, Keller 75-90 points. Hayton started slow last year too, our 5 on 5 play early in the year last year was likely the same for our first line.

Hayton has played great D and his screens have contributed to some goals as well. I just don't see any surprises or anything different this year? PP is better, mostly because we added Cooley/Durzi. Our overall GF is better and in the top half of NHL because of our PP mostly.

We don't have any other viable 1C solutions until Cooley matures (on D) most likely, for now Hayton is the clear 1C choice, not ideal, but like Hanzal/Stepan. Is what it is.
Hayton had 43 points last year? And has 4 in 16 games this year?

Reactions: Jakey53

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Hayton had 43 points last year? And has 4 in 16 games this year?
I could look it up but where was he at on November 22, 2022? Same with the '21/’22 season. He doesn't come alive until January, which is completely unacceptable.
I think he was injured for some of that stretch.

Last edited:

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I could look it up but where was he at on November 22, 2022? Same with the '21/’22 season. He doesn't come alive until January, which is completely unacceptable.
I think he was injured for some of that stretch.
I think Hayton only had 3 points by December 1st last season. 4 points by December 1st of the 21-22 season.

I agree, completely unacceptable.

Edit:
I was hesitant to consider the end of last season his breakout, was concerned he'd start slow again. I was also hoping I was just being a pessimist lol.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Right now there is no solution. All our C's would be third line C on a good team. Our PP has being carrying this team thus far, and now when that is starting to struggle we are losing games. All this Hayton talk is proof that you will believe it if you keep telling yourself enough times.:) When we needed him most he went AWOL. Disappointing to say the least, especially after we thought he may have turned the corner last year.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Right now there is no solution. All our C's would be third line C on a good team. Our PP has being carrying this team thus far, and now when that is starting to struggle we are losing games. All this Hayton talk is proof that you will believe it if you keep telling yourself enough times.:) When we needed him most he went AWOL. Disappointing to say the least, especially after we thought he may have turned the corner last year.
I don’t think you should go out for an open skate Jakey. You might just wind up like that other idiot poster that was always showing no respect for players that could literally skate circles around him and break a bone, or two. ;)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You wanted us to try a different 1C because Hayton was so horrible, you got your wish. Hayton is our best solution, you couldn't present another one. We lost to the kings because of 3 glaring mistakes that wound up in our net, and over all because of our team D play. This isn't on Hayton, not sure why you think that, other than looking at stats.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don’t think you should go out for an open skate Jakey. You might just wind up like that other idiot poster that was always showing no respect for players that could literally skate circles around him and break a bone, or two. ;)
ANY player that's in the NHL get's my respect, but all are subject to criticism. We sometimes forget how hard the game is to play. The worst skater in the NHL could skate circles around me.:laugh:

Most things fly right over your head Jakey.
"Asshat Mandate" sure did. :nod:

You wanted us to try a different 1C because Hayton was so horrible, you got your wish. Hayton is our best solution, you couldn't present another one. We lost to the kings because of 3 glaring mistakes that wound up in our net, and over all because of our team D play. This isn't on Hayton, not sure why you think that, other than looking at stats.
Whatever you say.

Reactions: Kaizen

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
ANY player that's in the NHL get's my respect, but all are subject to criticism. We sometimes forget how hard the game is to play. The worst skater in the NHL could skate circles around me.:laugh:

Whatever you say.
Criticism is one thing, you show a complete lack of respect, just like the idiot did.
I don’t think you have any clue as to how hard it is, you just want to appear as though you do.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Criticism is one thing, you show a complete lack of respect, just like the idiot did.
I don’t think you have any clue as to how hard it is, you just want to appear as though you do.
Go eat some turkey. Make sure you don't choke on a bone.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Whatever you say.
The PP has been off since Hayton has been out, just saying:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The PP has been off since Hayton has been out, just saying:)
The PP started to come back to earth with Hayton. Did you really think our PP was going to stay at 31% or whatever it was? The PP is the only reason Keller and Schmaltz were looking so good in the stats.

Not just the pp either, only an idiot can’t see what Hayton brings. Sorely missed on the draws as well.
Missed on draws? I'll give you that.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The PP started to come back to earth with Hayton. Did you really think our PP was going to stay at 31% or whatever it was? The PP is the only reason Keller and Schmaltz were looking so good in the stats.

Missed on draws? I'll give you that.
Team D and PP play is certainly down since Hayton has been out. Not enough net front play on the PP and tougher assignments for our other Cs. I think you under estimate Hayton's value, which isn't as apparent in the stats.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad