Post-Game Talk: Game 18 - Disaster at TD Garden - Sunrise 5 BRUINS 4 F/SO

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Bob is either worth 10 million dollars or the league minimum he has no in between. But he's been on the league minimum side for a while and any dumbass could have seen it coming.

Yup, his numbers have decline every year since the '16-'17 season.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I'm still angry this morning, that was pathetic. I hope they are ready for the back to back coming up. I don't watch the shoot outs, no point since I already know the results.

bluetib

Feb 17, 2009
Montreal
bruins.nhl.com
I just hate.. hate when they skate slowly to the net during a shootout. Just skate fast like if you were on a break away. Don't give give him time to think much.
Right on the money, this is the minimum they can do being paid that kind of money, pretty sure they tought it was in the bag and they hoped to cruise the third with no effort, 60 minutes guys not 59 even less 40

Reactions: MetM

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
This thread is something else. I even seen some worrying about the Habs. :laugh:

Too bad coaches can’t challenge refs ineptitude (Huberdeau holding Bergeron on the tying goal) while they reverse good skills play like Coyle did because of a millimeter offside.

Bruins got robbed a point. Hopefully, it doesn’t change anything for the Bruins after 82. Best case, it helps Florida end up ahead of the Habs and Leafs.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I'm not saying he looked bad. McAvoy isn't running the PP in his absence though and that certainly wasn't the reason for the loss.........

Not sure about that he was on for all 4 goals against and if Clifton got beat as bad as he did, this board would have been ready to lynch poor Cliffy. All the Drew Doughty comparisons have me thinking maybe it is Drew Doughty now and not in his prime.

Krug needs to be signed, no one can do what he does. Rask needs to be better though, he is having a rough patch. Some of the calls were wrong and it hurt the Bruins again. At least Bjork is playing good and Coyle.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't think there is a single person that is ok with blowing a 4 goal lead. The difference is how people react and handle it. Some see the sky is falling and some look at it as 1 of 82 games in a season.

A 3 game losing streak just got turned into at least 4 and could end up 6+.

We blew a golden opportunity to get points vs bad teams and have a buffer at the top of the Eastern Conference.

How many more bad starts until we officially worry about the goaltending?

If memory serves me correct Rask usually stinks this time of year and gets it together after Thanskgiving.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Not sure about that he was on for all 4 goals against and if Clifton got beat as bad as he did, this board would have been ready to lych poor Cliffy. All the Drew Doughty comparisons have me thinking maybe it is Drew Doughty now and not in his prime. Krug needs to be signed, no one can do what he does. Rask needs to be better though, he is having a rough patch. Some of the calls were wrong and it hurt the Bruins again. At least Bjork is playing good and Coyle.

I think we need to put Carlo with Chara.

But can Krug and McAvoy hold up defensively?

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
What a rough four games.

Don't want to go too far into this one at all as it simply sucked.

Two things - anyone in attendance able to see something wrong with the ice around the blue-line in the Bruins end for the two periods? Both teams kept on messing up around there all three periods and the puck seemed to be acting strangely. Did it look like a soft spot or something?

Forgetting about the result for a second - Pastrnak especially, but Bergeron and McAvoy are trying to be too cute at times.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Not sure about that he was on for all 4 goals against and if Clifton got beat as bad as he did, this board would have been ready to lych poor Cliffy. All the Drew Doughty comparisons have me thinking maybe it is Drew Doughty now and not in his prime.

Krug needs to be signed, no one can do what he does. Rask needs to be better though, he is having a rough patch. Some of the calls were wrong and it hurt the Bruins again. At least Bjork is playing good and Coyle.
mcavoy has been bad defensively and offensively.
i still would have clifton on the power play ahead of mcavoy. id also plsy him in 3 on 3 ahead of mcavoy too

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
They need to commit serious practice time to the 3 on 3 and the shootouts. They look hopeless in both. I would be very curious to know how much they practice these compared to other teams. I have heard there are teams who end every practice with a shootout. Clearly there needs to be more commitment to it. Throwing away points every time the game is tied after regulation.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
A 3 game losing streak just got turned into at least 4 and could end up 6+.

We blew a golden opportunity to get points vs bad teams and have a buffer at the top of the Eastern Conference.

How many more bad starts until we officially worry about the goaltending?

If memory serves me correct Rask usually stinks this time of year and gets it together after Thanskgiving.

Agree we missed some point against bad teams, but so have other teams. As far as goaltending goes, you can worry whenever you'd like. I'm personally not worried because goalies (like the rest of the team) can have slumps here and there. We have a 1A and 1B, so if one guy struggles the other guy can pick up the slack.

Even with the few bad starts, Rask has a 2.16GAA and a .926 SV%...that's how lights out he was to start the season. As for Rask splits, he usually struggles in October, picks it up in November, has a down January & February and then gets back into form in March & April.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
That is fine, just think Butch should have him on the 4th line.

But why disrupt your 4th line to maybe (or maybe not) make the 3rd line better? As was pointed out in anothe thread, Lindholm has yet to be on the ice for a goal against. My expectations for a depth forward is not to hurt the team. If you're not going to put up points, you better be preventing them.

It Lindholm ideal? no, but he's serviceable while we wait for guys like DeBrusk return thus moving Lindholm back to the 13th forward role. Its not like Lindholm was signed to be your everyday 3rd liner, its a temporary thing.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
But why disrupt your 4th line to maybe (or maybe not) make the 3rd line better? As was pointed out in anothe thread, Lindholm has yet to be on the ice for a goal against. My expectations for a depth forward is not to hurt the team. If you're not going to put up points, you better be preventing them.

It Lindholm ideal? no, but he's serviceable while we wait for guys like DeBrusk return thus moving Lindholm back to the 13th forward role. Its not like Lindholm was signed to be your everyday 3rd liner, its a temporary thing.

Agree he’s not in my lineup if everyone is healthy but he’s been solid.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
While I don't agree with the "sky is falling" mentality it's 100% worse when people rag on them in a POST GAME thread. It's not a season thread, it's not a state of the team thread, etc... It's a VENTING thread. Sure there are comments to take to task, but there is a big group as well where nothing is never wrong, everything is ok, even blowing 4 goal leads. It would be better reading if both sides could maybe move towards the center a bit and have some real discussion.

This is a fair point. I just don't like or think it sensible when people give their takes purely on the scoreboard. Hockey is such a low scoring game with often such small margins between success and failure, or between a goal being scored or not, that you have to look beyond who won or lost or the mere timing of when things happened to get a true picture of how a team performed during a game or a particular part of it.

No team should ever give up a 4-goal lead in 1 period but I've already made my case why I think in this instance it wasn't that bad that it happened and it was due to a couple of mistakes, a couple of bad efforts by Rask, some questionable ref decisions and an opponent who absolutely maximized their opportunities, rather than a lack of effort or the team just coasting or falling in a choking heap.

If Rask makes 2 more saves, which he could easily have done on a good day, or 1 of those questionable PPs doesn't happen, and the Bs nailed just 1 of the 4-5 good chances they had to score, then you're looking at a result of at least 5-2 and probably even 5-1 since that late desperate goal probably doesn't happen either, and instead everyone would have been in here saying 'the Bruins are back baby!' rather than lamenting them as a bunch of lazy chokers.

I agree absolutely, let's not sugarcoat things. This team has things to work on and things it needs to sort out, fix and do better. But let's also not just bash it and accuse these guys of not caring or being grossly incompetent just because it hurt our feelings to see a big lead slip and so we reflex judge it based largely on what happened rather than how it happened.

Reactions: Strafer

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
This is a fair point. I just don't like or think it sensible when people give their takes purely on the scoreboard. Hockey is such a low scoring game with often such small margins between success and failure, or between a goal being scored or not, that you have to look beyond who won or lost or the mere timing of when things happened to get a true picture of how a team performed during a game or a particular part of it.

No team should ever give up a 4-goal lead in 1 period but I've already made my case why I think in this instance it wasn't that bad that it happened and it was due to a couple of mistakes, a couple of bad efforts by Rask, some questionable ref decisions and an opponent who absolutely maximized their opportunities, rather than a lack of effort or the team just coasting or falling in a choking heap.

If Rask makes 2 more saves, which he could easily have done on a good day, or 1 of those questionable PPs doesn't happen, and the Bs nailed just 1 of the 4-5 good chances they had to score, then you're looking at a result of at least 5-2 and probably even 5-1 since that late desperate goal probably doesn't happen either, and instead everyone would have been in here saying 'the Bruins are back baby!' rather than lamenting them as a bunch of lazy chokers.

I agree absolutely, let's not sugarcoat things. This team has things to work on and things it needs to sort out, fix and do better. But let's also not just bash it and accuse these guys of not caring or being grossly incompetent just because it hurt our feelings to see a big lead slip and so we reflex judge it based largely on what happened rather than how it happened.

My view on it is the regular season is an exhibition for the Bruins at this point. It means nothing. I would rather start every series on the road with our game 7 history, so I don't care what seed they finish. to me it's all about health and what they will do on improvements at the deadline. I like to praise, I like to vent, I like to criticize, so I get it, but I it's hard to get too high or too low

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
My view on it is the regular season is an exhibition for the Bruins at this point. It means nothing. I would rather start every series on the road with our game 7 history, so I don't care what seed they finish. to me it's all about health and what they will do on improvements at the deadline. I like to praise, I like to vent, I like to criticize, so I get it, but I it's hard to get too high or too low

Same here. I want 3rd place in the division or wildcard.
I dont want to see another game 7 at home. ever again.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad