Post-Game Talk: Game 18 - BRUINS 4 Wild 2 - Loui tames the Wild!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Loui Ertrickson

The guy has been an absolute stud the past two seasons. Lots of people got on his case for not producing as offensively as advertised, however, when he wasn't producing on the score sheet he was always doing the little things right. He wasn't like a Lucic, who would produce for 3 games, then take 5 games off and be absolutely invisible. Loui was always visible on the ice, imo.

Glad he's finally being rewarded offensively. He's a key part of this team, I'd even make the argument that he's our 3rd most important forward behind Bergeron & Krejci.

KING LOUI.

Also, Tyler Randell. I love that guy... i'm still laughing at how pissed he was at Carter last night. I legit thought he was going to rip his head off his shoulders and punt it into the 14th row.

Was at game, both Randell and Colin Miller went hard after Carter, but Miller seemed uncharacteristically ticked off. Wonder if they have some history, maybe in the AHL?

Anyway, I know Loui had the trick and he played very well, but Marchand was the best player on the ice in all 3 zones. He was buzzing around the net, got some great chances. moved the puck extremely well (the pass to Krug on the delayed penalty was gold), and he was great on the backcheck.

People don't want to hear it, but if I have to choose between one of 63 and 21, I keep Marchand, hope Loui continues to light it up, and move him for a small fortune at the deadline. Brad is three years younger than Loui, who will be 31 this summer, and IMO it's the biggest factor. They both can score, pass, and are excellent on the PK. Marchand is a better skater and is younger.

I have been saying this all along, but I'm not sure how ANYONE (Clode included) can think that K Miller is better than C Miller? I went out of my way to watch him all night, and he had one play where I thought he could have cleared it, and Schroeder ended up scoring eventually (after a couple of other plays that affected things). Other than that minor blemish, his skating was excellent, his passing was also, and he always makes crisp hard passes that don't get picked. He was physical when he needed to be and took hits to make plays when he had to.

I keep looking for the reason that he's being sheltered and for the life of me, I can't see it.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Was at game, both Randell and Colin Miller went hard after Carter, but Miller seemed uncharacteristically ticked off. Wonder if they have some history, maybe in the AHL?

Anyway, I know Loui had the trick and he played very well, but Marchand was the best player on the ice in all 3 zones. He was buzzing around the net, got some great chances. moved the puck extremely well (the pass to Krug on the delayed penalty was gold), and he was great on the backcheck.

People don't want to hear it, but if I have to choose between one of 63 and 21, I keep Marchand, hope Loui continues to light it up, and move him for a small fortune at the deadline. Brad is three years younger than Loui, who will be 31 this summer, and IMO it's the biggest factor. They both can score, pass, and are excellent on the PK. Marchand is a better skater and is younger.

I have been saying this all along, but I'm not sure how ANYONE (Clode included) can think that K Miller is better than C Miller? I went out of my way to watch him all night, and he had one play where I thought he could have cleared it, and Schroeder ended up scoring eventually (after a couple of other plays that affected things). Other than that minor blemish, his skating was excellent, his passing was also, and he always makes crisp hard passes that don't get picked. He was physical when he needed to be and took hits to make plays when he had to.

I keep looking for the reason that he's being sheltered and for the life of me, I can't see it.

This. All day long. Hope Loui keeps scoring at this pace and hope the team trades him. Yes, he's a good player, but whether anyone wants to admit it, he should not be a piece of this REBUILDING project. You need to give value to get value so I'm very happy he's producing. Hope he keeps it up. He can be a great add for a team that is "almost there". THIS Bruins team, however, is not of that caliber.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa

Beleskey is a 4 mil 3rd liner for us, I feel like he could be the guy on the out. Sign Loui and trade Beleskey the summer after?

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

He threw away two or three golden chances by either trying a fancy drop pass or passing behind Bergy, though. He'd be well advised to use his (excellent) shot more. And he also took a late penalty that, knowing our PK, could very well have ended up leading to Minnesota tying the game.

I'd probably also keep Marchy over Loui if I had to make the choice, but Eriksson has been the better player this season. They're both great PK'ers, the difference is that Loui hasn't taken a single penalty this year, so he's actually available for it 100% of the time. Sure, a well-timed scuffle could get the team going, but the last two seasons it's mostly gone the other way around. He draws a few penalties too, but he's taken 1.83 minor penalties per 60 minutes played and committed 1.02, and not rarely are they evened out. Loui only has 0.17 drawn, but to 0.00 committed, that's good.

Arguably Brad does more with less since Bergy has struggled somewhat, but also been the beneficiary of Bergy suddenly breaking through and having great second halves of games. I'd rate them about equal right now, maybe slight edge to Eriksson, but Marchand is younger and has a year left on his contract. Ideally we keep both, but otherwise it'll come down to the return.

Yeah. Canucks fans maybe. :laugh: I think the legit rumor was Oshie.

Anyway, way to go Loui!:yo:

Kassian for Loui straight up was thrown around here, by Bruins fans. Oshie for Eriksson+ I think was the "legit" one.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I like both Brad and Loui but if I had to choose I would keep Marchy.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I can see Loui having a very good year and getting 6 plus, are we going to pay that? Not sure....

They might depending on the term and how the money is paid out.

As another poster has mentioned, Loui's game is based on his hockey IQ not on his physical attributes. Yes he will decline as he ages (newsflash: this happens to everybody not just hockey players lol) but IMO the decline will not be as steep/swift as it will be for a player who relies on speed, for example. IOW Loui will still be a valuable player at the end of his next contract. Hell by then he could even be a bargain.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Beleskey is a 4 mil 3rd liner for us, I feel like he could be the guy on the out. Sign Loui and trade Beleskey the summer after?

Kelly's 3 million is off the books this summer, and Beleskey has a NMC for the first 3 years of the contract I believe. His contract is fine for what he's bringing right now.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Kelly's 3 million is off the books this summer, and Beleskey has a NMC for the first 3 years of the contract I believe. His contract is fine for what he's bringing right now.

He was brought in to score goals. I think most people were aware that he wouldn't do it like he did last year under Claude but 2 goals in 16 games isn't cutting it.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
He was brought in to score goals. I think most people were aware that he wouldn't do it like he did last year under Claude but 2 goals in 16 games isn't cutting it.

I agree that 2 goals isn't cutting it, but it's not like the effort hasn't been there. If he keeps up the type of game he played last night, the goals will come eventually.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I disagree. Providing offense was only part of the equation with acquiring Beleskey. The energy and physicality were more important parts IMO and he's lived up to that. He works hard out there and he is the team leader in hits by a fair margin. He's also on pace for having a career year production wise. I think he's come as advertised and we're getting what we payed for.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

I wanna hear it. All day and all night. I have considered Marchand the engine that drives the Bruins offense for the past four years. He is our most creative and effective forward, but I do hope (and expect) that Pastrnak claims that title soon.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

they'll start to go in.
he's got a good shot, and he has a lot of energy.

he's getting chances

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Just perusing the headlines it appears as if there will be no discipline for Beleskey's late game slash to Jason Zucker, and Zucker will apparently be back in the lineup Saturday for Minny.

It didn't look that bad, I think he just got in an area with little padding.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Just perusing the headlines it appears as if there will be no discipline for Beleskey's late game slash to Jason Zucker, and Zucker will apparently be back in the lineup Saturday for Minny.

It didn't look that bad, I think he just got in an area with little padding.

It was a nothing slash that happens multiple times a game. Probably just hit him in the unprotected area like you said.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
It was a nothing slash that happens multiple times a game. Probably just hit him in the unprotected area like you said.

Looked to me as if he twanged one of the tendons back there. Probably went into spasms, and was fine a few minutes later.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He threw away two or three golden chances by either trying a fancy drop pass or passing behind Bergy, though. He'd be well advised to use his (excellent) shot more. And he also took a late penalty that, knowing our PK, could very well have ended up leading to Minnesota tying the game.

I'd probably also keep Marchy over Loui if I had to make the choice, but Eriksson has been the better player this season. They're both great PK'ers, the difference is that Loui hasn't taken a single penalty this year, so he's actually available for it 100% of the time. Sure, a well-timed scuffle could get the team going, but the last two seasons it's mostly gone the other way around. He draws a few penalties too, but he's taken 1.83 minor penalties per 60 minutes played and committed 1.02, and not rarely are they evened out. Loui only has 0.17 drawn, but to 0.00 committed, that's good.

Arguably Brad does more with less since Bergy has struggled somewhat, but also been the beneficiary of Bergy suddenly breaking through and having great second halves of games. I'd rate them about equal right now, maybe slight edge to Eriksson, but Marchand is younger and has a year left on his contract. Ideally we keep both, but otherwise it'll come down to the return.

Kassian for Loui straight up was thrown around here, by Bruins fans. Oshie for Eriksson+ I think was the "legit" one.

1) He made one bad pass to Bergeron. It's not your fault, but the "fancy back pass" wasn't all that fancy, and if you were not at the game, you would not be able to see that just prior to the pass, Bergeron fell down coming through the NZ and was not where he should have been. If Bergeron stays on his feet, that was a perfect drop pass.

2) The penalty was BS. I know he has brought it on himself, but I have never seen a guy get called for more ticky-tack **** by the refs, while at the same time they allow opposing guys to have their way with 63, and don't call a thing. This stuff really needs to stop, as there are far worse "divers" in the league than Marchand.

My overall point still stands. I take a 28 yr old Marchand over a 31 yr old Loui. It's going to take a couple of years IMO before the B's are legit SC contenders and Loui will be 33 by then. Move him for a young NHL player at a position of need (and a pick/prospect) at the deadline.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
marchand over louii all day. every day.

never seen marchand play this well.

Yeah, I'm with you on here. I'm going to sound like Felger, but I don't see anything special with Loui. The guy is a fine/smart player, but doesn't do anything really well. Marchand is WAY above average with his agility and puck possession game. Plus Marchand is a grade A pest.

Louie had a goal go off a skate, put some garbage in around the net and had a nice shot for the trick last night. Not entirely making the goals happen himself out there last night.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Yeah, I'm with you on here. I'm going to sound like Felger, but I don't see anything special with Loui. The guy is a fine/smart player, but doesn't do anything really well. Marchand is WAY above average with his agility and puck possession game. Plus Marchand is a grade A pest.

Louie had a goal go off a skate, put some garbage in around the net and had a nice shot for the trick last night. Not entirely making the goals happen himself out there last night.

yup.
im sure other GMs already know that about lou.
but I hope we are shopping him right now while he's playing well

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
yup.
im sure other GMs already know that about lou.
but I hope we are shopping him right now while he's playing well

Loui is a very smart player and performs well in all threes zones. I prefer Marchand because of his age and skating ability, but that being said, there will be a lot of interest in Eriksson if the B's make him available.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
If the team had tuned Claude out you wouldnt have got this type of effort snd energy from them.

Please!! This team has been wildly inconsistent this season , yet the coach gets no blame from some here. If they play well its because they listened to the coach , if they played bad its all on the players.

Obviously, its a combination of both, but a solid win at home proves nothing either way.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Please!! This team has been wildly inconsistent this season , yet the coach gets no blame from some here. If they play well its because they listened to the coach , if they played bad its all on the players.

Obviously, its a combination of both, but a solid win at home proves nothing either way.

I agree. It's like people are saying the team only gives effort when the coach's job is on the line. That doesn't look too good on the coach.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
they'll start to go in.
he's got a good shot, and he has a lot of energy.

he's getting chances

Plus didn't Beleskey make a large part of his contributions in the playoffs last year? If he brings that for the Bruins (provided we make the POs), he'll be making his pay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad