GDT: Game 17: Sharks @ Coyotes - 6PM - FSAZ

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Dauphin, White, Duclair, and Dvorak with the least amount of minutes for forwards.

Chychrun has just over 8 minutes.

#DevelopmentSeason

They were getting run over by the Sharks. They were. It might not have been caught by the telecast, but they were getting beat up pretty good.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Gotta get those 2 points, so we can be 28th, instead of 30th at the end of the season.

Winning breeds a winning culture. Doesn't matter how far out of the playoffs you are, you want to win every game. Especially critical for the kids to establish those expectations.

The Red Wings EXPECT to be in the playoffs every year, and have been for 25 straight seasons. They currently sit second from last in their Division. Think anyone is talking about tanking to draft high?

For the record, we're only 5 pts from a wildcard

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Winning breeds a winning culture. Doesn't matter how far out of the playoffs you are, you want to win every game. Especially critical for the kids to establish those expectations.

Take that attitude and eventually you'll find yourself without any kids to step in.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Being open to trading Duke is pretty hilarious. I feel like we've been through this dance before. Get rid of talented forwards so we can bring in plugs, continue to be a horrible to mediocre team, and repeat.

We were seen by professionals as having one of, if not the best young group of players in the league. Let's see if DT can somehow **** that up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Problem solved by trading Stone or Murphy...needs to happen soon.

Chychrun needs more than 8 min TOI

Chychrun is a LD, the two you mentioned are RD, so trading one of those does nothing for Chychrun's ice time. He has struggled the last couple of games.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Who cares about Strome not playing. We won a game:)

The Sharks are a damn good experienced team, and most of the kids had a tough time against them. A good learning experience. Like Smith said, this team has to learn how to win.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

The Red Wings EXPECT to be in the playoffs every year, and have been for 25 straight seasons. They currently sit second from last in their Division. Think anyone is talking about tanking to draft high?

For the record, we're only 5 pts from a wildcard

Agreed. You have to establish a winning culture. Any tanking kills development.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Being open to trading Duke is pretty hilarious. I feel like we've been through this dance before. Get rid of talented forwards so we can bring in plugs, continue to be a horrible to mediocre team, and repeat.

We were seen by professionals as having one of, if not the best young group of players in the league. Let's see if DT can somehow **** that up.

Why is it hilarious? Duke is a scoring winger that has not established himself as a solid 2 way player. If he wants to get 18 minutes a night, he will have to pick up his 2 way game. I like Duke and think he has improved this year in spite of his limited points so far. But I also think wingers are the easiest position to replace and the least important on an NHL team. I would bet his value is down right now because of his poor point production so I doubt he gets traded. But if we got a good return or he was part of a package that made sense, we should do it. I don't think he is being shopped but I am sure Chayka is listening to many requests including every player except OEL/Domi/Doan.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Why is it hilarious? Duke is a scoring winger that has not established himself as a solid 2 way player.

He's only 21 and just started his 2nd NHL season; far from reaching his peak.

5th in goals for rookies last year, and best +/- among the top 10. I'm keeping him.

rsdhll.jpg

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

5th in goals for rookies last year, and best +/- among the top 10. I'm keeping him.

rsdhll.jpg

I don't see Duclair traded.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Not the biggest supporter of plus/minus in a vacuum, but Duclair's ability to not be a minus and hold a +12 over two seasons on a club that is a tire fire is pretty impressive to me. He also lit up the takeaways last year as I remember if someone wants to drudge that up.
But Tippett doesn't give him more minutes than Doan, so I'll assume he's terrible. Tippett, after all, has never seen a talented offensive player he wouldn't play that later blossomed with opportunity.

In fact, if we limit it just to Eriksson and Turris for high profile whiffs, is there another coach in the league that whiffed twice or more on high profile players? Probably lots of examples with one high profile miss. Any with two? Are we watching 3 and 4?

cobra427

May 6, 2012

rsdhll.jpg

+/- is a pretty meaningless stat, Duke is not good, not even average on D for a forward. And I agree, we should keep him, he has tons of potential, just saying he is not untouchable.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Why is it hilarious? Duke is a scoring winger that has not established himself as a solid 2 way player. If he wants to get 18 minutes a night, he will have to pick up his 2 way game. I like Duke and think he has improved this year in spite of his limited points so far. But I also think wingers are the easiest position to replace and the least important on an NHL team. I would bet his value is down right now because of his poor point production so I doubt he gets traded. But if we got a good return or he was part of a package that made sense, we should do it. I don't think he is being shopped but I am sure Chayka is listening to many requests including every player except OEL/Domi/Doan.

The entire team is filled with two-way plugs. If one or two of the forwards cherry pick every now and again, and play a more aggressive styles offense, the team won't collapse into oblivion. It might even cause us to score a goal once in a while, instead of never.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The entire team is filled with two-way plugs. If one or two of the forwards cherry pick every now and again, and play a more aggressive styles offense, the team won't collapse into oblivion. It might even cause us to score a goal once in a while, instead of never.

Have you watched the games? Everyone but Duclair is dialed in tight. We don't have a problem generating offense. I'm pretty sure Duke's play away from the puck resulted in at least 40 of the 79 shots the Sharks attempted last night

cobra427

May 6, 2012

28th in GAA and 28th in PK%. If Duclair can help reduce either of those or any other players can, they should play. We only have to solve this problem if we want points or want to win games. The last 3 games our GAA came down and we now have 4 more points. If you cherry pick, ever, you will be on the bench with less minutes, then to the press box, then to another team or the AHL if nobody wants you.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

It's all about finding balance. I think every player on the team needs to be responsible defensively, but there should also be the option for some aggressive plays. It seems to me that the current strategy is to favor being in position over almost everything else. Dmen historically have had the green light to pinch and join the rush, and I'm seeing even less of that. It results in low scoring games overall, but still losses, which is what we've been seeing more and more. The more we lose the more passive we get.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If that's the case, the forwards aren't getting the memo.

In the defensive zone I agree. I think it's just that our plan for defensive zone play is bizarre. Sometimes Dmen follow their assignments to the point, forwards play down low, players right by the net get left alone. Very odd.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Watching our D allow opposing forwards to establish position in the crease is literally taking minutes off my life span. I'm not talking about D sneaking in behind them. I'm talking about our D at the top of the crease looking over their shoulder at the forward behind them, and then back to watching the puck while ignoring them. It happens all the time. It's like "I'll keep an eye on that guy, but stay between him and the puck." This has to be coaching or scheme related. And it results in quality chances against because we are boxed out of our own crease on rebounds. Where's Playfair? Either this is a novel new scheme to play lanes and the puck, or we have the dumbest defensemen in history. The way they nonchalantly decide it isn't a problem when they see it leads me to believe it's a scheme. Two games back with two forwards in the paint, one of our d challenges a shooter moments after looking over his shoulder at the forwards. OEL also didn't the over the shoulder look. Puck enters crease and one d is way out of position, while OEL tries desperately to tie up his guy while boxed out. Goal.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
In the defensive zone I agree. I think it's just that our plan for defensive zone play is bizarre. Sometimes Dmen follow their assignments to the point, forwards play down low, players right by the net get left alone. Very odd.

The D zone coverage is indeed quite fluid.

Rarely though, do I see support and therefore good positioning in the O zone either. Having said that, I am seeing slight improvement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad