GDT: GAME 17 | SENS @ FLAMES | 10PM CBC? maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Cowen was superb.

Boro was not. He was not good.

Glad to see the refs call the instigator in our favour.

EK was good. Worked hard. Has to "coast" sometimes when you're playing literally half the game on a scar tissue-filled ankle. We need to play him a bit less (lol how do you do that when our D is so marginal) and get him a proper D partner.

Like it or not, we miss Spezza's dynamic play. In games like this he would be the difference maker IMO, especially on the PP.

Zibanejad... I don't even.

We lack top end skill and finish. Mac Turris Ryan is a good line, but not top-end #1 (ps we need to play this line again.. Chai Latte had some success with them but it's not enough to justify keeping Ryan off it). I don't see a solution for this problem any time soon.

Andy loves playing the puck. Gets himself into trouble sometimes (this was not the first time his puck play directly resulted in goals) and often tries to clear the puck himself along the boards where it ends up on the opposition's stick more often than not. He is also slow getting back to the net a lot. That being said, this was a particularly bad game for him puck-wise, and is not the norm. He needs to calm down and let the D do its job.

bonehead

May 27, 2002
Visit site
More of the same. As many have said, Sens struggle when they don't get elite goaltending. Not enough skill or skating in the lineup. A couple of positives:

- Ceci is a player and does so many things well
- Cowen has really turned it around and seems so much more comfortable with the puck

Wonder how long before MacLean/Murray "do something" to address problem areas (Mika at centre, Legwand on PP, SNL line, too many plodders on defence, over-reliance on "past their prime" veterans) when this pattern of play continues.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
We should play it out and not make any panic moves. This isn't a playoff team but there is a strong foundation for one. Getting a high pick or two this year can really help us out.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
The Kid line is succeeding, because they are being given easy minutes. If you play them more, it doesn't necessarily mean they put up more points.

But that doesn't mean they wouldn't

we will never know if they would succeed against better opposition since potatostache is not rewarding them with more ice time

why would he reward them?

maybe because they have been scoring in almost every game the last 10 we played

oh wait bad idea : the best player play

must be so frustrating being hoffman and seeing that useless face-off-champion of legwand getting WAY more minutes than he is:shakehead

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Can you imagine how many minutes would leggy get if he had scored 6 g in 5 games?

suter and doughty would look on vacation compare to him:help:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
But that doesn't mean they wouldn't

we will never know if they would succeed against better opposition since potatostache is not rewarding them with more ice time

why would he reward them?

maybe because they have been scoring in almost every game the last 10 we played

oh wait bad idea : the best player play

must be so frustrating being hoffman and seeing that useless face-off-champion of legwand getting WAY more minutes than he is:shakehead

Patience, young padawan.

It's the middle of November. We haven't even hit the 20-game mark yet. The kids will benefit from easier matchups for a while.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Neil-Legwand-Smith for once played a good game today. Why so much hate?

problem is not them playing

its them playing half of the game (for legwand that is)

the guy s fourth liner
he really is

he played an average of 3;25 or something close on the PP this season so far

and by playing I mean staying on the right side board and making one timer pass to 65

I sincerely think chiasson could at least do that... at least lol

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Can you imagine how many minutes would leggy get if he had scored 6 g in 5 games?

suter and doughty would look on vacation compare to him:help:

If he scored 6 in 5 would you really have a problem with him getting lots of time? I'd think if was scoring like that we'd all be praising him and saying he needs more ice time...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
so you really think best player are playing right now?

The kids aren't ready for more minutes. Put them up against top lines and they'll be destroyed. You don't do that to kids....unless you want to be like the Oilers.

And yes, I think the best players we have on the roster are playing, for the most part, the proper minutes and situations.

Ryan obviously isn't 100%, so giving him top minutes isn't advisable.

Ceci has had a few shifts on the powerplay, and isn't quite at the level to work it properly (as much as I want Erik to get a bit of a breather).

The kids did have a few partial shifts the last few games against top lines and were hemmed in their own zone a lot...obviously they still need to be sheltered.

As for the defense...what can I say? We have an incredibly shallow pool on D, and we can only cycle what we have. Cowen has been progressing, Gryba and Boro are still a bit shaky but have shown improvement. Phillips, when his minutes aren't too high, can fill in as a top 4 for a while yet. Not much else.

Legwand has been decent. A few slip ups but he's primarily on the defensive side...any slip-up he makes will stand out in that situation...but doesn't mean he's been terrible. Not the greatest, but a decent placement holder until we get reinforcements from Bingo.

WhiteLight*

Cohen's been good but wtf was he doing on the Flames PP goal? Costly mistake, but no big deal shake it off for the next game

Ceci is beautiful. His skill level and defensive ability were hugely underrated. Looking like a top pair guy once he gets more seasoning. Needs to find a way to use his big shot

Karlsson was fine. Didn't get burned defensively, had an assist and a bunch of shots. Can't ask for more than that right now, solid game.

Anderson... oh boy. Just stop. Lehner next game please

Patty Wiercioch next game please. Sit Phillips or Boro
Condra too

People love to rag on Zibby but I like what I see. Lots of potential and room to grow. Made some skilled plays through the neutral zone last night. He just needs to find a way to put it all together. Will probably come in time

Turns needs to pick up. He needs to find a way to shoot more

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think if we're talking about things that are happening "right now", one of the worst offenders is people oversimplifying and mindlessly overusing a four-second soundbite in the "best players play" quote.

Wasn't that quote from like three years ago? And what was the context of the quote?

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I think if we're talking about things that are happening "right now", one of the worst offenders is people oversimplifying and mindlessly overusing a four-second soundbite in the "best players play" quote.

And people picking on others instead of arguing intelligently on an internet board is the LAST thing "happening right now" so everything is chill;)

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
That games on Anderson. Pretty bad game for him. Two gifted goals.

Cowen was definitely the best dman that game. Played really well. Best I've seen him skating in years.

Karlsson couldn't do anything offensively right.

Get Legwand off the PP. So bad.

Were those Hab fans in the stands? Boos for everything.

Outworked + no offense(No surprise when Legwand line gets so much ice time) + Anderson = loss

I get sheltering the kid line but when we need offense, they should be being pumped ice time. Taken directly from the line with 0 offensively ability. Not the opposite.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
problem is not them playing

its them playing half of the game (for legwand that is)

the guy s fourth liner
he really is

he played an average of 3;25 or something close on the PP this season so far

and by playing I mean staying on the right side board and making one timer pass to 65

I sincerely think chiasson could at least do that... at least lol

Legwand is getting too much PP time, however a big part of that is that he's our best Left handed center. He's getting the PP time because he wins draws in the left circle. We aren't winning enough draws as it is, we don't need to make our odds any worse. What I don't like seeing is him on the point. I'd rather see Ceci, or Hoffman

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Ryan obviously isn't 100%, so giving him top minutes isn't advisable.

Legwand has been decent. A few slip ups ... but a decent placement holder until we get reinforcements from Bingo.

I've thought Ryan has been a little down the last games. I hope its not his groin again. Glad he scored, but I see him as "tender".

Like to try Legwand on the wing for a while.

Legwand - Zibanejad - Chiasson
Michalek - Smith - Neil (prefer Condra)
Legwand - Smith - Neil if need be.
Leave the Top 6 alone; maybe flip Ryan and Stone

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
At the end of the day, Anderson was given a chance to run with the number 1 spot and flopped the game.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Legwand is getting too much PP time, however a big part of that is that he's our best Left handed center. He's getting the PP time because he wins draws in the left circle. We aren't winning enough draws as it is, we don't need to make our odds any worse. What I don't like seeing is him on the point. I'd rather see Ceci, or Hoffman

you're right legwand is the best face off guy we have

but I think it does not make up for the downsides (speed, creativeness,decent shots at net etc)by playing him over 5 min on PP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad