GDT: Game 17 | Ottawa in Carolina | 7pm | TSN5, RDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Ryan was easily one of the Sens best players last night, of course people won't notice him much outside of those hits because until he got an opportunity to play with better players, he was playing very low minutes with JC Beaudin for CS. What is he supposed to do? lol

Ryan might not be one of the best skaters on the team, but still easily one of the best players with the puck on his tape, something to do by himself (recovering the puck) because making good passes is not the forte of many players on this team. Don't think I have seen Ryan receive more than a few good passes last night and it was coming from Chabot.

Wait... I need to give you more info on this... you will see why 1992-96 and 2018-20+ is not comparable at all...

This is what the Senators started with in 1992 :

1992 NHL Expansion Draft Picks at hockeydb.com
Senators at 25: A look back at Ottawa's expansion draft

So compare this with :

The Sens made the ECF and came 1 goal close to make the SCF in the 2017 spring. In 2017-18, they decided to upgrade big time on Kyle Turris by acquiring Matt Duchene, and sacrificing a 1st, a 3rd and their late 1st from the prior draft (Bowers). The team had a good season start, acquired Duchene, won their first 2 games with him in Sweden but when they came back, they started to go in a downward spiral and never recovered. The rebuild started at the trade deadline that year (Brassard and Phaneuf trades), leading to the 2018 draft.

This is the prospect pool they had after that 2018 draft :

Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2018 (#31-35)

Thomas Chabot, Brady Tkachuk, Logan Brown, Colin White, Drake Batherson, Alex Formenton, Filip Gustavsson, Filip Chlapik, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Christian Wolanin, Christian Jaros, Jonny Tychonick, Maxime Lajoie, Marcus Hogberg, Johnny Gruden, Angus Crookshank, Nick Paul, Joel Daccord, Parker Kelly, Jakov Novak, Kevin Mandolese...

And with the other trades (Hoffman, Karlsson, Duchene, Dzingel and Stone), they added :

Anthony Duclair, Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, Erik Brannstrom, Josh Norris, Rudolf Balcers, Lassi Thompson (the 1st we got in the Duchene trade), Vitaly Abramov, Jonathan Davidsson, Mats Sogaard (used the Panthers 2nd from the Sharks to move up and grab him) and a few more quality picks too (Sharks 1st in 2020, two 2nds in 2020, two 2nds in 2021)

Plus with trading Ceci, we added Zaitsev and Connor Brown. JG Pageau is still there and looks fabulous this year. Namestnikov and Nilsson were added for a song.

Do you see now the million light years of difference?

Thanks - I had totally forgotten we had a roster before last year.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ryan was easily one of the Sens best players last night, of course people won't notice him much outside of those hits because until he got an opportunity to play with better players, he was playing very low minutes with JC Beaudin for CS. What is he supposed to do? lol

Ryan might not be one of the best skaters on the team, but still easily one of the best players with the puck on his tape, something to do by himself (recovering the puck) because making good passes is not the forte of many players on this team. Don't think I have seen Ryan receive more than a few good passes last night and it was coming from Chabot.

Wait... I need to give you more info on this... you will see why 1992-96 and 2018-20+ is not comparable at all...

This is what the Senators started with in 1992 :

1992 NHL Expansion Draft Picks at hockeydb.com
Senators at 25: A look back at Ottawa's expansion draft

So compare this with :

The Sens made the ECF and came 1 goal close to make the SCF in the 2017 spring. In 2017-18, they decided to upgrade big time on Kyle Turris by acquiring Matt Duchene, and sacrificing a 1st, a 3rd and their late 1st from the prior draft (Bowers). The team had a good season start, acquired Duchene, won their first 2 games with him in Sweden but when they came back, they started to go in a downward spiral and never recovered. The rebuild started at the trade deadline that year (Brassard and Phaneuf trades), leading to the 2018 draft.

This is the prospect pool they had after that 2018 draft :

Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2018 (#31-35)

Thomas Chabot, Brady Tkachuk, Logan Brown, Colin White, Drake Batherson, Alex Formenton, Filip Gustavsson, Filip Chlapik, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Christian Wolanin, Christian Jaros, Jonny Tychonick, Maxime Lajoie, Marcus Hogberg, Johnny Gruden, Angus Crookshank, Nick Paul, Joel Daccord, Parker Kelly, Jakov Novak, Kevin Mandolese...

And with the other trades (Hoffman, Karlsson, Duchene, Dzingel and Stone), they added :

Anthony Duclair, Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, Erik Brannstrom, Josh Norris, Rudolf Balcers, Lassi Thompson (the 1st we got in the Duchene trade), Vitaly Abramov, Jonathan Davidsson, Mats Sogaard (used the Panthers 2nd from the Sharks to move up and grab him) and a few more quality picks too (Sharks 1st in 2020, two 2nds in 2020, two 2nds in 2021)

Plus with trading Ceci, we added Zaitsev and Connor Brown. JG Pageau is still there and looks fabulous this year. Namestnikov and Nilsson were added for a song.

Do you see now the million light years of difference?

He was equally inept with the puck last night and the only time he made a decent play with the puck was late in the 3rd in an 8-2 game. Listen, I had all the time in the world for Ryan, and defended him plenty, not to your extent, but I liked him. This year, coupled with the scratches after DJ gave him a chance on the top line, he simply blew it. Plus, he cannot shoot as he used to. He was left for dead a few times because not only is he slow, but critically slow to change directions. I have no idea where to hide him in the lineup, only to say that mental frustration can exacerbate his limitations.

Now, it seems like White is skating much. much better and possibly this could help Ryan if he gets another chance but Ottawa is running out of space

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
There's two versions of "try hard" Bobby Ryan.

The first, was that inexplicable playoff run where the guy looked as good as he ever has in a Senators uniform. The second, is after he's been hurt/scratched/embarrassed (re" Burke/intense) and he plays hard (but not smart) for 2-3 games before reverting to the floater he has (almost) always been as a Sen.

Bobby Ryan did play harder yesterday than he has all season, but it wasn't effective in the least. He just seems like one of those guys that can't use his anger as motivation, as it seems to distract him from playing "his" game. I don't want to harp on the guy after a game where he at least put in the work, but it's pretty clear he's not going to find his game here in Ottawa under DJS.

I was never huge on those salary dump trades with Ryan, since he was always overpaid, but not completely awful. Can't help but think we end up seeing a change of scenery swap with him at some point in the next ~8.5 months since he's been real bad under this coaching staff (with no turnaround in sight).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad