GDT: Game #17 Blues at Stars 7pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Didn’t Dallas make finals 2 years ago? And they were arguably our toughest series in Cup year. I don’t think they copied anyone.
I don’t take Dallas 2020 run seriously at all. They had lost seven in a row and looked abysmal before covid reset the table. They were never going to even seriously challenge Tampa

Reactions: Spektre

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I don’t think it’s lack of effort. I think their execution was terrible tonight.
I started watching the game about 5 mns into the 2nd period and immediately saw the tenacious Blues team that wiped the Shartnados.

The problem was that the Stars were playing a better version of the Blues team on Thursday, echoing what someone here posted about emulation. That is valid.

What is it that causes players to shut down and not respond to their head coach?

ROR and Perron appear gassed, but are they?

RT was amazing two games ago and has been a ghost the last two, but, in fairness, the Sharks and Stars keyed on him.

We allude to players turning off the head coach's message, but rarely explain what it is that causes players to turn off in the first place.

Perhaps that is so, because attempting to explain it will take us down the path of speculation.

What is it that causes players to shut down and not respond to their head coach?

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I don’t understand the Berube speculation. I get that his contract hasn’t been extended and they’re going through a rough patch but to me it’s regression to the mean when you give up so many shots and chances because your team as built by the GM is designed for high event track meets.

The test of four straight against Tampa and Florida is coming.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I don’t understand the Berube speculation. I get that his contract hasn’t been extended and they’re going through a rough patch but to me it’s regression to the mean when you give up so many shots and chances because your team as built by the GM is designed for high event track meets.
A few pages back, someone mentioned firing Berube. Not sure if that was just joking/trolling, but there is a well-established phenomena of players turning off their head coach.

Irrespective to Berube, I think it is interesting to try to explain what causes players to turn off their head coach.

Someone brought it up, whether serious or not, and I am entertaining it.

For the record, I do not agree with any idea of firing Berube and/or DA.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Even externally there's really no upgrades for the GM position available.

Edit: I read internally when I read your comment.
Frankly, this path of discussion specific to Berube is fruitless. A general discussion regarding players turning off their head coach is fruitful, imo.

Otherwise, this conversation, as it pertains to Blues' staff, is silly.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don’t take Dallas 2020 run seriously at all. They had lost seven in a row and looked abysmal before covid reset the table. They were never going to even seriously challenge Tampa
Bubble hockey was fairly random, but stars had been building to that point. They almost ended our Cup run in its infancy.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Frankly, this path of discussion specific to Berube is fruitless. A general discussion regarding players turning off their head coach is fruitful, imo.

Otherwise, this conversation, as it pertains to Blues' staff, is silly.
I agree. I don't have any real issues with any of the parts of the Blues management or coaching staff.

Well, except that everytime I see Ryan Miller's name I get PTSD flashbacks.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I agree. I don't have any real issues with any of the parts of the Blues management or coaching staff.

Well, except that everytime I see Ryan Miller's name I get PTSD flashbacks.
It's a shame to me that it didn't work out with Miller because he was one of my favorite goalies to watch up until that 6 game losing streak heading into the playoffs lol

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Respectfully Robb, I think the Krug signing was a rare knee-jerk reaction from Armstrong. The AAV and ESPECIALLY the term and NTC's on that contract were, in my mind, a mistake.
I also didn't like the cost of that contract. And, I certainly didn't think that even the addition of Faulk, AND Krug, didn't make up for the loss of Pietrangelo. Of course, ALL GMs make SOME mistakes. No one can be perfect. But, I believe that Armstrong has been one of the best over the past 5 years, and I wouldn't fire him with knowing I had someone better, who, with out a doubt (already committed) will replace him.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Pietro wanted to stay in Blues. Only demand was full NMC. Army didn't want to give that so it was clear decision by Pietro leave and found new home. He is family man. He just wanted to raise his family in one place. He was well liked in community.

You can ask your superior (Army) what he values. Does he value family ppl, but he should have give Pietro 8-year contact. Army didn't want to give him that. He is business man. He has said he wants to hold leverage/flexibility to move players.

You can ask yourself where is the line. Was Cup winning Captain has special status for St. Louis? How you value him? Clearly front office didn't.

I view it was huge misstep by losing franchise face who brought Cup to St. Louis.

I'm happy Bill's drafts.

I view we should had trade last TDL one of our pending UFA's. I have said multiple times at that time Blues 3-4 games hot playing cost us potential good moves. Army did mistake on that part. Army has done great moves at TDL, for ex. Stastny trade while we were almost same position last season like that year too.

Keeping Tarasenko was right move. He is one of our best forwards and his value is getting better. Hopefully Army will trade Tarasenko at TDL or at least next off-season, but get at least something out of him if he wants out and could walk for nothing.

I liked Buch trade. Not fan of let Schwartz walk for nothing. Give Allen too big contract at time and have to let him go for cap reasons.

Biggest reason why this team crumbles is weak defense.

When take away your corner stone from building and fill it with small stones it doesn't be the same at all and eventually it will crash down.
I think Pietrangelo wanted to leave, regardless of what would be offered, and made a demand that he KNEW that Armstrong wouldn't meet, just so he wouldn't look like he was "the bad guy", deserting his team and fans.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Pietro wanted to stay in Blues. Only demand was full NMC. Army didn't want to give that so it was clear decision by Pietro leave and found new home. He is family man. He just wanted to raise his family in one place. He was well liked in community.

You can ask your superior (Army) what he values. Does he value family ppl, but he should have give Pietro 8-year contact. Army didn't want to give him that. He is business man. He has said he wants to hold leverage/flexibility to move players.

You can ask yourself where is the line. Was Cup winning Captain has special status for St. Louis? How you value him? Clearly front office didn't.

I view it was huge misstep by losing franchise face who brought Cup to St. Louis.

I'm happy Bill's drafts.

I view we should had trade last TDL one of our pending UFA's. I have said multiple times at that time Blues 3-4 games hot playing cost us potential good moves. Army did mistake on that part. Army has done great moves at TDL, for ex. Stastny trade while we were almost same position last season like that year too.

Keeping Tarasenko was right move. He is one of our best forwards and his value is getting better. Hopefully Army will trade Tarasenko at TDL or at least next off-season, but get at least something out of him if he wants out and could walk for nothing.

I liked Buch trade. Not fan of let Schwartz walk for nothing. Give Allen too big contract at time and have to let him go for cap reasons.

Biggest reason why this team crumbles is weak defense.

When take away your corner stone from building and fill it with small stones it doesn't be the same at all and eventually it will crash down.

I thought all of this too. If Pie wanted to stay, he would have. Army scrambling to fill and create stability through NTC's is a clear indication that he figured Pie would stay and knew there were other problems on the horizon; we had no idea that JayBo would end up the way he did, either.

The team isn't all Pie and while Pie is the kind of play we're missing, we're also missing the likes of Steen, JayBo and yes, I'll say Maroon just for pure morale. And while I was a big opponent of his staying at one point, the player we're missing is JayBo.

Pie at long stretches seemed to be lazy and content with playing a laid-back game at times and being a passenger over playing with the weight of the C on his chest. Yes, I said it and I'll fight anyone who argues it. I'm not going to diminish Pie's legacy as a Blue because it's mighty but the bottom line is, he could have stayed, kept the C and been a living legend and the franchise would have taken care of him. Instead, he uprooted his family, moved to Vegas, and abandoned us and his legacy here.

We've moved on and we're going to struggle, we're going to have moments where everything will work and the next game everything will fall apart. We're the St. Louis Blues, We Do Nothing The Easy Way. It's simple as that and as fans we know this.

But Army did the best he could with what he had. There was NO reason that Pie couldn't have made a deal and stayed here and the money he makes in Vegas will always mean less than the legacy he built, struggled and earned here. He plays in Vegas but his name's on the Cup as a Blue. This is his home, this is his legacy and he'll always have to look over his shoulder and live with that.

I'm sick of hearing about him and I'm tired of us looking behind instead of looking ahead. I've said my piece about it but why does it matter to talk about it now? We've upgraded and we need a quality LD, that's all. Someone strong and solid who can slot into Top 4 minutes so players like Krug can play their game.

I believe in the greatness of this team, it's strength, tenacity and heart, it's ability to overcome and adapt. We've got our Cup with this group, if Army has to end up blowing it up, WE GOT A CUP FROM THIS.

So why keep complaining?

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Bubble hockey was fairly random, but stars had been building to that point. They almost ended our Cup run in its infancy.
They came close in fact but I did not feel at any moment of the series they were the better team. The Blues pushed them around in games 6 and 7 and only heroic goaltending kept them around longer. I think Boston and Winnipeg were the two toughest outs.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The post about Pietrangelo being lazy is garbage. I get it he’s gone and you’re looking for a reason to move on emotionally but this absolutely inane stupidity about him being a lazy player is straightforwardly counterfactual.

I mean he was the center beam. They ripped it out and replaced it with an expensive oil painting. They need a center beam defensively and they don’t really have that. They have parts that sometimes work and sometimes don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad