Post-Game Talk: GAME 17 - 15-2, 10-0 at home - Who has more fun than us?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Great point.

For one, it's already been statistically demonstrated that President's Trophy does have the highest probability to win the cup out of any of the 16 playoff slots.

But spot on about Jim Montgomery and his line deployment. Anyone else realize that with the exception of last year's weird Carolina series, Bruce's Bruins lost a lot of playoff games on home ice?
I still think Boston had the horses to win that series. Bruce had a rough couple of weeks.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I don't know what more people could want. Either we are winning too much too soon or barely scraping by.

I say? Keep rolling until the train stops. Obviously we know this isn't sustainable. We will face challenges. We will go through rough patches. However. Let's roll.
The key is be healthy at playoff time. Rest players when u can. I like that the top line minutes are not crazy high.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Maple Leaf Gardens is also where the Leafs won 6 Cups in the 1940s and 3 straight in the 1960s.
I am very much aware of the Maple Leafs’ 13 Stanley Cup titles, and probably know their history better than many here my age or younger.

I just wanted to applaud @jgatie for what I thought was a clever post. The post-expansion NHL hasn’t been kind to Toronto, and if someone here wants to throw a little jab at those lovable, laughable Leafs; I am totally okay with that. :)

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I still think Boston had the horses to win that series. Bruce had a rough couple of weeks.
They got whipped pretty bad the first three games in Carolina, though Ullmark was uncharacteristically bad the first two and if Swayman was starting from the jump I think they could've made those first two games more competitive. And Game 7 wound up as a coinflip where if Freddy doesn't hit the post and ties the game right before Domi scores the 3-1 goal, it's a different outcome. But yeah, Bruce did not have a great end of the season, though I gave him credit for winning that game where Hampus was out concussed and McAvoy tested positive for Covid and we had Josh Brown and Mike Reilly out there on the third pair.

Reactions: KWbruin

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I was just thinking how there were no fights in the game or dirty hits, usually there is at least one when we play the Flyers. I wonder if the Bruins standing up for each other has been noticed?

Reactions: BMC

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I was just thinking how there were no fights in the game or dirty hits, usually there is at least one when we play the Flyers. I wonder if the Bruins standing up for each other has been noticed?
It was a different Flyers team....definitely lacking in high end skill, and they didn't seem too enthusiastic...lacking motivation...something is amiss there for sure

Reactions: caz16

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Had to work last night, but viewed the highlights.

The pass from Pastranak to set up the DeBrusk goal was jaw-dropping. Right on the tape and in. I know a pass like that needs a little luck, but still… amazing.

Secondly, I’m going to throw this out there: Can we start thinking about Ullmark as a possible Hart Trophy candidate? We’re all watching this, and in my opinion, he’s the MVP of this team. I’m not taking anything away from anyone else, but he’s on another level right now. At least three very difficult saves that easily could have been goals and made this game very different.

***Deleted rant about fans who are afraid the Bruins are winning too much too soon.***

Anyways… so far, this is the best regular season Bruins team I’ve ever seen, and only the 2011 playoff squad was better in my opinion. They look rock-solid. I love this!

I think Ullmark being a Hart finalist is definitely possible. Shesterkin managed it last year and so far Linus is putting up very similar numbers. I think it would be extremely hard for him to actually win the trophy given the calibre of some of the regular skaters who have also started the season hot, but merely to be a finalist would be outstanding.

For the Vezina though I think he's clearly no. 1 at the moment. Hellebuyck and Oettinger are probably pushing him closest, and Logan Thompson is having a break out year in Vegas. But Ullmark is the benchmark so far for sure.

Now we just need Swayman to stay healthy and find some form. Poor guy's had a rough start to the season.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
people who don't want the president's trophy as a rule are likely extremely bad gamblers. When you measure 1 position against a field of 16 every year, your odds are incredibly long. Likely somewhere around 12% when you factor in path and competition etc. For you to glean anything real about it, you have to compare the performance of position 1 vs the field over time, position 2 vs the field over time, position 3 and on and on, and then analyze the frequency of success for each.

Once you do all that and you get a probability number, you're in a better spot. Take all your numbers and research at that point, and set it all on fire because playoff positioning year over year has a tenuous connection between teams at best.

All those words to say "it doesn't actually mean anything."
To be clear, I want the best record. I understand that the trophy comes with it. I have just pointed out the superstition players have about touching that trophy.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
To be clear, I want the best record. I understand that the trophy comes with it. I have just pointed out the superstition players have about touching that trophy.

I acknowledge players are superstitious. Most of them stop going to class at 16 though lol.

You watched one (1) set of highlights and are benching McAvoy. Sounds sane.

I came here just to read this.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I am very much aware of the Maple Leafs’ 13 Stanley Cup titles, and probably know their history better than many here my age or younger.

I just wanted to applaud @jgatie for what I thought was a clever post. The post-expansion NHL hasn’t been kind to Toronto, and if someone here wants to throw a little jab at those lovable, laughable Leafs; I am totally okay with that. :)

I really don't get the whole, lets-crap-on the-Leafs thing.

This is a Bruins/Flyers post game thread. So of course, let's find something to negatively connect to the Leafs.

… and then, before you knew it, there were color tv’s in almost every home.

Since colored TV, the Bruins have won as many Cups as the Leafs did from 1961 to1963.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

This is a Bruins/Flyers post game thread. So of course, let's find something to negatively connect to the Leafs.

Since colored TV, the Bruins have won as many Cups as the Leafs did from 1961 to1963.
Because they run out of ideas to complain about.

People feel smarter when they can criticize something

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

You must be a hell of a lot of fun at parties.

Reactions: Carl Hungus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad