GDT: Game 16 | Pens @ Devils | 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not defending MAF with what i'm about to say, but...

Over the past few years, this board (and maybe the NHL fandom in general) has really gravitated towards a real, what I call, "College Football Mindset." I think NCAAF has been ruined by the reality that if you don't go undefeated, you didn't have a successful year. In the NHL, it's become, if you're not constantly pitching shutouts, you're a trash goalie. And, of course, there's no middle ground. You're either HoF-bound or trash, and you can only change your lot in one direction (From HoF-worthy to trash, not Trash to HoF-worthy!!11!11!)

I 10000000% agree with this post. I think people just refuse to watch other NHL and that's why the perception is there. I see trash goals against all goalies. It happens. Mur will figure it out. Ride DeSmith for now. Dude is hot.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I 10000000% agree with this post. I think people just refuse to watch other NHL and that's why the perception is there. I see trash goals against all goalies. It happens. Mur will figure it out. Ride DeSmith for now. Dude is hot.
Goalie has been our least problem and still is. Sully is betting 100% when it comes to picking a hot goalie. He switched from MAF to MM in 2017, when fe felt right about it. long season and goalies can have their highs and lows, actually it may work really well that they both will end up with appx 40 games or so, they will be fresh for play offs

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Seems like he would, I was reading a Pensburgh article about Sullivan and what not, it read like an article afraid of calling out Sullivan for any of his stuff but with like kid gloves with pillow cushions duct taped to them.

Basically the gist is that he's not a fan of Oleksiak (needs to not lead the rush, but join the rush, but then cites that Martin and Sarge need to work with him more, I feel like he's doing that because of what Sarge has been teaching him)...

So I expect more of the illustrious Dumoulin-Ruhwedel duo and the Maatta-Riikola tandem *sorry I threw up in my mouth just typing that last one*

Riikola has a lot of promise, a lot. But he can be slipped through the waivers can't he?

Why wouldn't you call up Prow? NOW is when you want to see what he has, send him back down, let him marinate with that taste, then when injuries happen, you hope he's worked on his flaws.

But I bet it'll be Trotman if we ever have any other injuries on D. This team loves its trash journeymen on D from the AHL.

Thank god Czuczman is gone, oh wait.
There's a time where you need to just put down the bottle. We're well past that point.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm not defending MAF with what i'm about to say, but...

Over the past few years, this board (and maybe the NHL fandom in general) has really gravitated towards a real, what I call, "College Football Mindset." I think NCAAF has been ruined by the reality that if you don't go undefeated, you didn't have a successful year. In the NHL, it's become, if you're not constantly pitching shutouts, you're a trash goalie. And, of course, there's no middle ground. You're either HoF-bound or trash, and you can only change your lot in one direction (From HoF-worthy to trash, not Trash to HoF-worthy!!11!11!)
The same can be said for every position. I mean, Bryan Rust got compared to Craig Adams by someone on here because he's had a tough 15 games to start the season.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
how many trash goals have we watched our team score against the best goalies in the league for the last 3 years. we may have won it all for 2 of them, but we weren't best team in the league after 2016

Reactions: EightyOne

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It’s much more pronounced with goalies imo. Someone was calling Murray a freakin head case. How on earth does that even!?!
I'd rather be a headcase than a Craig Adams :laugh:

But you're probably right and it probably has to do with goalie mistakes being much more costly.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There's a time where you need to just put down the bottle. We're well past that point.
Nah, I find it odd that we look back on Bylsma now and so many want to take the high road about how terrible he was. But I 100% remember reading how much of a god he was here and how many people loved his "Bylsma-isms" about Grind'em down type of quotes and his regular season prowess.

My memory is not that short term.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So Hischier and Boyle are out tonight with injuries...it should be a cake walk for the Pens but watch them lose against the NJD AHL squad...

Pens have a tendency to play down to the level of their opponent. So we'll probably see an AHL level performance tonight.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I think most sane fans know Murray can figure it out, I think there should also be some validity to the folks that think he just might not get back to that. The league has changed equipment sizes, the game has changed and he's progressively gotten worse than last year and no one knows if it's really his mechanics, his head game, or if his last concussion has really messed with him and if he should take some time off.

I honestly have no idea why they don't call up Jarry to back up DeSmith during a weekend where WBS has back 2 backs, send Murray down on a conditioning assignment.

Has anyone noticed how they have never done that with Murray?

I feel most fans want Murray to bounce back, if anything, his early success is why most people are down on him now because that's the bar he's set for people to expect from him.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Riikola has a lot of promise, a lot. But he can be slipped through the waivers can't he?

Why wouldn't you call up Prow? NOW is when you want to see what he has, send him back down, let him marinate with that taste, then when injuries happen, you hope he's worked on his flaws.
we are doing a sprong on him. the kid needs to be playing a lot somewhere. so what do we do? we have him sitting in the press box. and you want to mess that up by doing something that makes sense?

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kirk, you know this is the Pens...Even a scratched player could score on them on any given night.

giphy.gif

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think most sane fans know Murray can figure it out, I think there should also be some validity to the folks that think he just might not get back to that. The league has changed equipment sizes, the game has changed and he's progressively gotten worse than last year and no one knows if it's really his mechanics, his head game, or if his last concussion has really messed with him and if he should take some time off.

I honestly have no idea why they don't call up Jarry to back up DeSmith during a weekend where WBS has back 2 backs, send Murray down on a conditioning assignment.

Has anyone noticed how they have never done that with Murray?

I feel most fans want Murray to bounce back, if anything, his early success is why most people are down on him now because that's the bar he's set for people to expect from him.

I disagree. There has been nothing long term to show he won't become himself again. He'll adapt and be right back. I don't think there are any long stretches of evidence that says he won't be himself.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Remember when I said Murray may not be any more better then Fleury? Things are going to be alright, good goalies find a way to not let these linger too long. We've seen Fleury moments from other goalies, we've seen Murray moments from other goalies and so on.....

What if.... Murray isn't per say worried about his own play and it's affecting him, and more so that the teams play in front of him affects him. There is a shelf life of being able to deal with constant barrages of oddman breaks and not let it affect you as a goalie. We've seen the best get nailed by this and look like some pickup goalie from out of the crowd.

We've had the pleasure of this team owning some goalies, and some top of the list ones too. In the end, they all plateau back out to normal and shake it off.

They are one guy in the grand scheme of things. There isn't another position in the sport that doesn't rely more on team support than the goalie position.

For the Pens, they have had very different types of goalies thrive here.

Tom Barrasso - Most notable trait is being able to handle/move/play the puck.
Marc-Andre Fleury - The most athletic goalie.
Matt Murray - Being big with a calming influence.

Take away those traits and are they even in the league?

We like to think we were spoiled for sake of Mario, Jagr, Sid and Geno, but the team is/was so much more player wise, and even taking into account such flaws each has, each one was special in their own unique way.

I know you are very happy and supportive of the 5 cups "THEY" have brought to us to enjoy. They all have had rough times.

In reality, the Pens have never had the best goalie in the league and they have those 5 cups.

They've all had their flaws, and when they're bad team wise, no cups, good... cups.

I really don't see a difference from one to another team wise, they all have to a degree resulted a couple cups.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree. There has been nothing long term to show he won't become himself again. He'll adapt and be right back. I don't think there are any long stretches of evidence that says he won't be himself.

Actually, while I think you're right about Murray bouncing back, what we're seeing now is kind of uncharted territory, no?

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Actually, while I think you're right about Murray bouncing back, what we're seeing now is kind of uncharted territory, no?

Right, but that's the thing, there is no book to read here, what looks to be the case is the team being confident and so follows the goalie, and there's no way to see this until they actually do it, play to their potential. They have done it for De Smith more often, and probably take Murray for granted. Much like they use to do with Fleury.

That potential can't be in spurts, small sample sizes, the team changes too often for it to be registered.

I say fix the team in front of him, cause even if they have a little success that doesn't mean improvements can't be made, but there is only one true way to see what needs done and that's by them over achieving where they lack and then you truly have a grasp of what depth you can really have by adding upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad