GDT: Game #16 of the season Ducks visit Sharks 10:30 PM ET on 2 - 15 - 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The big thing has been the (for the most part) the benchings/scratches coming back. Didn't Terry, Lundestrom, and now Steel all get sat a game then came back looking like new players?
Terry for sure. Eakins raved about Lundy before the season, but Lundy came out absolutely flat. After some games off he was incredibly better as well. As for Steel, he looked better yesterday but nite quite yet there, imo. I have seen him play better.

But this benching is just a part of the competition that is going on. Eakins have mentioned it as well, and really it's nice to have it.

Reactions: lwvs84

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Terry for sure. Eakins raved about Lundy before the season, but Lundy came out absolutely flat. After some games off he was incredibly better as well. As for Steel, he looked better yesterday but nite quite yet there, imo. I have seen him play better.

But this benching is just a part of the competition that is going on. Eakins have mentioned it as well, and really it's nice to have it.
I agree. Steel can bring more than he did last night.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The big thing has been the (for the most part) the benchings/scratches coming back. Didn't Terry, Lundestrom, and now Steel all get sat a game then came back looking like new players?

Terry's benching was due to lack of production. His return was to prove he belonged. It worked.

Lundestrom's demotion to the AHL was because he didn't possess that offensive instinct playing wing for the first two games of the season, which is his first time playing wing in the org for us. When he got sent down to the AHL, it seemed as though coach Dineen was able to get him to tap into his offensive prowess, which has rarely been seen on NA ice before. Lundy got two goals in the one AHL pre-season game I saw. He was simply flying and being offensive. When he did get called up, he was playing wing for one game. After that game, he was set in at 3C with Comtois and Rakell. We didn't know if that offensive game would translate if Lundy would go back to playing center. For some reason, it stayed and the whole line clicked. Lundy's demotion was due to more need of development. He's the youngest out of Terry, Steel, Jones, and Comtois. We got lucky here due to injury shuffling plus Rico's movement off from center.

Steel's benching was due to lack of game. I didn't get the feeling that Steel came back improved last night. He scored because he was passing the puck back to the late crashing forwards, but the Shark defensemen redirected the puck into their own net. Hey, I don't mind being lucky, but the rest of the game wasn't all that. Late in the game, Steel had an opportunity to shoot the puck in the slot, but decided to pass it back out of the slot. Why? I think Steel needs that trip to the AHL to regain confidence again because it's still not working.

Steel started off with wings Comtois and Terry. It didn't produce. But Lundy centering Comtois and an ice-cold Rakell did work. Steel then moved up to play with Heinen and Silf. Now that line remained bleh, as if Rico were still manning that line. With Lundy's coming out party early this season, that's got to be the new standard of play that Steel needs to reach.

Reactions: lwvs84

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Comtois and Lundestrom are both bigger/stronger dudes than Terry and Steel.
In one way its not surprising both are progressing faster than the guys who were drafted before them.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Exactly. Now i'm wondering if Comtois has future top line potential. His shooting % will go down when he starts to get more shots on goal.

I think the Dead Sexy line is now our top line by default, production, and chemistry. Rakell and Comtois had the most TOI as forwards in last night's game, 19:13 and 18:29. Lundy had 15:25. I guess Steel got the ice time when Getz couldn't make it out onto the ice at times in the 3rd period.

I'm really excited about that line as every one of those players all woke up at the same time when they got paired together. I remember seeing Comtois predicting Lundestrom would be crossing the net on the opposite side and Comtois did a flying pass to Lundy, which almost was redirected into the net! It shows that Comtois isn't always looking to shoot like Rakell isn't always looking to shoot, but they're all working on the same page.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I agree for the most part, but just curious on the last sentence – what do you think should be the right action plan here?

It's tough. There is no question that Shattenkirk can't keep playing the minutes he's currently getting. I would put Manson back with Lindholm, when healthy, and drop Shattenkirk to the 3rd pairing with Hutton/ Larsson/etc... It needs to be seen how much the issue is Shattenkirk and how much is use.

If his play improves, then he's useful. If not, try and get something for him. The Ducks have lots of 3rd pairing options. Either way, he needs to stop playing with Lindholm and he should be exposed in the Expansion Draft. Maybe he'll be picked and the situation becomes moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad