GDT: Game 16 | Detroit Red Wings @ Nashville Predators| 8:00 PM EST | FS-D

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Datsyuk is always good, but he was unbelievable this game. His goal was effectively 1v4; I honestly wasn't even mad when the equalizer went it, just unreal talent. His behind the back pass to himself earlier would probably be top 20 plays of the year if he had scored.

Wings suck, booo, etc. but was a really great game.

Yeah he usually has one or two "man, he's special" moments per game, but tonight it seemed like closer to 4 or 5 times that I just sat back and laughed.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Cleary, IMO, is playing for his NHL llife.

If he finishes the season with 5 goals and 8 assists, he's going to end up signing a $800,000 contract.

Filppula is pissing away a chance at a get-rich contract.

Howard, by the way, is doing the same.

Completely agree. I do think Cleary will get another contract from someone probably, but not at good money and probably not where he wants to play. Could wind up on Long Island or something like that.

Howard and Filppula are starting to do some serious damage to their contracts.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Cleary got a goal. Great. He was completely alone in the slot with a perfect feed from Datsyuk. It doesn't get much easier than that in the NHL. Good for him for putting it in. Some others would fire a Logo-Hunter shot.

But don't act like he did a whole lot of work on that play. Datsyuk went behind the net, and like typical Datsyuk, somehow comes up with the puck all on his own, made a perfect feed to the exact right place, and it comes out a goal. Datsyuk made that goal happen. Period.

Then he decided to make another one happen.

Datsyuk needs help. Abby and Cleary are his linemates. Think about that for a second. Then for another minute. Try not to die from an aneurysm.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I'm down in Nashville for the week so I went to the game. Despite the loss, great game. My partner I'm working with, I told him to keep an eye on Datsyuk and he was impressed even before the goal.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
and brunner. Imagine that line brunner, Dats, Tartar :yo:

That is a very small line, Datsyuk actually has said on several occasions he likes playing with big bodies they give him more space. Now I would like a little more skill with them, but don't forget that Datsyuk says himself that big guys help him play his game.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I thought the first 10 minutes of the third period was as good as we've played all year. The forecheck was great and we had constant pressure on Preds.
Datsyuk was like a man possessed last night.
Thought Lashoff was pretty good for the first time in a while
I don't think the team is that bad but I am disappointed in the way the players are being paired. The lines don't make any sense. Starting to lose faith in Babcock

Rael

Dec 28, 2012
Vienna
Completely agree. I do think Cleary will get another contract from someone probably, but not at good money and probably not where he wants to play. Could wind up on Long Island or something like that.

Howard and Filppula are starting to do some serious damage to their contracts.
Totally agree. Can't believe that Filppula still is bothered so much by his knee but he's been horrible all year, he only scored when Datsyuk had one of his other special games. He hasn't even been much on himself this year, playing mostly Datsyuk's or Zetterberg's wing...
I'm really looking forward to getting Franzen back and PLEASE put him on Pavel's wing. I still don't understand why Franzen was with Zetterberg in the beginning und Filppula with Datsyuk despite all the success Filppula and Zetterberg had last year.
Regarding Howard, how on earth could you not tell Babcock that he's so dinged up?? He looked very bad, especially on that first goal.
I hope that Cleary doesn't get resigned because we have so many young forwards who are able to bring so much more to the table, most notably Tatar, Nyquist and Jarnkrok (next season).

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Tonight he didn't really play much so that probably helped.

Kindl was +2 with an assist and 3 minors in less that 12 minutes of ice-time.

Hey I'll give it up and acknowledge Kindl had an assist. But it was the most secondary of assists in the NHL. The play he made - a pass to Z in the defensive zone - gets made literally a dozen+ times a game. That play was all Z along with Tootoo getting a lucky bounce. No shame in that, Nashville got one or two of those last night.

So while I'm fine with saying yay, Kindl got an assist, let's not pretend it was an awesome pass on the tape or that it set up the goal. Once again I saw very little skill, a guy putting us at a man disadvantage for nearly a 1/3 of the opening period which resulted in us being down by a goal, and also making a terrible, terrible turnover deep in his own zone with 6:30 left in the second that would have created a great scoring chance had the Nashville player not lost his footing.

This was a pretty good game to show the limitations of plus/minus. One goal goes in off a skate, another goes in off Andersson, I am pretty sure Kindl hopped on the ice when Pavs was going into beastmode 1v4, etc.

So yes, Kindl got an assist. I still don't see anything to indicate the skill everyone is raving about. I really liked the way we played in the 3rd, what an entertaining period. I also cannot stand having Kronwall play in his own end, he is brutal and is the main reason for us losing in OT.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
You guys put too much emphasis on Kindl taking 3 penalties. In my opinion his 3rd should be ignored completely. He was forced to take it because White's stick exploded, and it was a good idea to do so.

The first 2 penalties were somewhat weak but I'd say justified. If you're gonna rant about Kindl, rant about him taking 2 penalties in a row. It's not as strong an argument as 3, but it makes more sense when the 3rd had nothing to do with him being undisciplined or playing badly.

Aug 6, 2012
Hey I'll give it up and acknowledge Kindl had an assist. But it was the most secondary of assists in the NHL. The play he made - a pass to Z in the defensive zone - gets made literally a dozen+ times a game. That play was all Z along with Tootoo getting a lucky bounce. No shame in that, Nashville got one or two of those last night.

So while I'm fine with saying yay, Kindl got an assist, let's not pretend it was an awesome pass on the tape or that it set up the goal. Once again I saw very little skill, a guy putting us at a man disadvantage for nearly a 1/3 of the opening period which resulted in us being down by a goal, and also making a terrible, terrible turnover deep in his own zone with 6:30 left in the second that would have created a great scoring chance had the Nashville player not lost his footing.

This was a pretty good game to show the limitations of plus/minus. One goal goes in off a skate, another goes in off Andersson, I am pretty sure Kindl hopped on the ice when Pavs was going into beastmode 1v4, etc.

So yes, Kindl got an assist. I still don't see anything to indicate the skill everyone is raving about. I really liked the way we played in the 3rd, what an entertaining period. I also cannot stand having Kronwall play in his own end, he is brutal and is the main reason for us losing in OT.

First of all the pass was in the neutral zone near the boards. There was a delayed penalty and Kindl made a nice lead pass while being pressured by two Predators. Zetterberg was in full-flight and didn't break a stride receiving the pass. Was it anything amazing of Kindl? No. But it was a very good heads up play.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
First of all the pass was in the neutral zone near the boards. There was a delayed penalty and Kindl made a nice lead pass while being pressured by two Predators. Zetterberg was in full-flight and didn't break a stride receiving the pass. Was it anything amazing of Kindl? No. But it was a very good heads up play.

:laugh: OK buddy. The three penalties weren't a big deal, the terrible TO in the 2nd was nothing, but he makes a pass that goes about 12-15 feet where Z does the majority of the work and Tootoo gets a lucky bounce off a skate and it's a head's up play. Guess what? If those Predators touch the puck we go on the power play. So much poise from Jakub! Did you get goose bumps when he made that pass? It was about as routine a pass as a d-man can make to a forward. It happens literally a dozen times a game if not more. Let's not pump it up to be more than what it was.

He did get an assist so good for him.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You guys put too much emphasis on Kindl taking 3 penalties. In my opinion his 3rd should be ignored completely. He was forced to take it because White's stick exploded, and it was a good idea to do so.

The first 2 penalties were somewhat weak but I'd say justified. If you're gonna rant about Kindl, rant about him taking 2 penalties in a row. It's not as strong an argument as 3, but it makes more sense when the 3rd had nothing to do with him being undisciplined or playing badly.

The problem is that he has by far the highest penalties/60min ratio of all of our defencemen. So it's not just a one game problem, it's been his problem all season.

The ratio is still team-worst, even if you count that last one away from his stats.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The problem is that he has by far the highest penalties/60min ratio of all of our defencemen. So it's not just a one game problem, it's been his problem all season.

The ratio is still team-worst, even if you count that last one away from his stats.

Good point. Plus he's playing the weakest competition of all our d-men not named Carlo "glass man" Colaicovo. And people are suggesting we give him top 4 mins. They must really like seeing us play 4v5. :shakehead

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
:laugh: OK buddy. The three penalties weren't a big deal, the terrible TO in the 2nd was nothing, but he makes a pass that goes about 12-15 feet where Z does the majority of the work and Tootoo gets a lucky bounce off a skate and it's a head's up play. It was about as routine a pass as a d-man can make to a forward. It happens literally 12-15 times a game if not more. Let's not pump it up to be more than what it was.

You just take every opportunity possible to hate on Kindl don't you?
Show me where in the nose's comment that he said or even implied that the 3 penalties weren't a big deal and that the turn over in the 2nd was nothing?? Short answer: He didn't, you just brought it up because you can't help yourself when it comes to ******** on Kindl.

As numerous posters have already stated the 3 penalties are being blown out of proportion, the first was a blatant dive, the 2nd was a dumb penalty on Kindl's part because Kronner has taken the very same penalty about 5-6 times, and the 3rd penalty was a necessity. You told me in the GDT to stop "whining" about the penalties, well how bout you stop preaching about them like they are some sort of justification or evidence of your dislike of Kindl.
Continually repeating the # of penalties with complete disregard for the legitimacy of the calls doesn't prove your point, neither does saying "but if Cleary took three penalites...blah blah blah"

Also I agree that Kindl's assist wasn't anything spectacular but don't kid yourself, if Lashoff made that play you'd be pumping up his tires and being all sarcastic about people wanting him out of the line up........just like you did in the GDT against Minny

I see that bum Lashoff got an assist. :sarcasm:

But he's not a first round draft pick!!!!!! :D
* In response to someone saying the play was set up my Lashoff

And those were even more routine plays than Kindl's. (Simple pass to Z both times and Z/Pav/Nose did all the work.) So two players make routine plays that end up being goals because of the work/talent of their team mates yet you pump up the tires of one guy and deflate the tires of the other, coincidence?? I think not, IMO your bias is obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
You just take every opportunity possible to hate on Kindl don't you?
Show me where in the nose's comment that he said or even implied that the 3 penalties weren't a big deal and that the turn over in the 2nd was nothing?? Short answer: He didn't, you just brought it up because you can't help yourself when it comes to ******** on Kindl.

As numerous posters have already stated the 3 penalties are being blown out of proportion, the first was a blatant dive, the 2nd was a dumb penalty on Kindl's part because Kronner has taken the very same penalty about 5-6 times, and the 3rd penalty was a necessity. You told me in the GDT to stop "whining" about the penalties, well how bout you stop preaching about them like they are some sort of justification or evidence of your dislike of Kindl.
Continually repeating the # of penalties with complete disregard for the legitimacy of the calls doesn't prove your point, neither does saying "but if Cleary took three penalites...blah blah blah"

Also I agree that Kindl's assist wasn't anything spectacular but don't kid yourself, if Lashoff made that play you'd be pumping up his tires and being all sarcastic about people wanting him out of the line up........just like you did in the GDT against Minny

* In response to someone saying the play was set up my Lashoff

And those were even more routine plays than Kindl's. (Simple pass to Z both times and Z/Pav/Nose did all the work.) So two players make routine plays that end up being goals because of the work/talent of their team mates yet you pump up the tires of one guy and deflate the tires of the other, coincidence?? I think not, IMO your bias is obvious.

Arguing with you is exhausting, so welcome to the ignore list.

Kindl takes the second most penalties behind Kronwall while playing tissue soft competition. So we can nit pick one or two penalties but the stats over his 9 games are not pretty. I don't care to argue the details, Kindl takes a ton of penalties given the weak competition he faces. I don't care how you try to spin that, it's a fact.

The Lashoff comment wasn't OH MY GAWD LOOK AT THAT HEAD'S UP PLAY! It was, oh wow, Lashoff, who many people here think sucks, got an assist.

You have taken a position you cannot defend so you huff and puff. I welcome being added to your ignore list, I haven't said anything that cannot be supported by fact/stats.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Even as a Preds fan, you must admit, watching Datsyuk is a real treat.

He had a better than normal "magical" game tonight.

I am sad i only saw the 3rd period.

I hear alot of people around here suggesting he is headed to Russia, but I have found no "official sources" suggesting the same. Am I the only one that thinks he will re-sign in Detroit for 4-5 more years?

One of the very few, yes.

Aug 6, 2012
:laugh: OK buddy. The three penalties weren't a big deal, the terrible TO in the 2nd was nothing, but he makes a pass that goes about 12-15 feet where Z does the majority of the work and Tootoo gets a lucky bounce off a skate and it's a head's up play. Guess what? If those Predators touch the puck we go on the power play. So much poise from Jakub! Did you get goose bumps when he made that pass? It was about as routine a pass as a d-man can make to a forward. It happens literally a dozen times a game if not more. Let's not pump it up to be more than what it was.

Huh? All I talked about was Kindl's assist. Is it against the rules for Kindl to makes a heads up play? That's not saying it was amazing or incredible, it was just a solid hockey play. You basically discredited Kindl for any involvement in the goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad