GDT: Game #16: Coyotes @ Blue Jackets | The Hobey Baker Showdown | 5:00pm (AZ) | Scripps

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Woooooooo Coyotes Game Day!!

All-Time Series Notes:
Tonight will be the Coyotes only trip to Columbus this season, and the 66th all time matchup between the Arizona/Phoenix Coyotes and the Columbus Blue Jackets. In the previous 65 matchups, the Coyotes hold a 32-25-4-4 record versus the Columbus Blue Jackets, including a 15-14-1-2 record at Nationwide Arena.

Game Notes:
Tonight will be the first NHL matchup between the two most recent number three overall picks Adam Fantilli (2023) and Logan Cooley (2022). It has not taken long for either to become comfortable in the NHL as both are scoring at a 55 point pace in their rookie seasons. The two most famously went toe-to-toe last year in the Hobey Baker Award race, where Fantilli (30+35) edged out Cooley (22+38) for the award.

Columbus has gotten off to a slow start to the season after the firing of Mike Babcock before he even coached a single game for the team. Sitting at 4-8-4 after 16 games, the team is looking for signs of life from their highest paid player, Johnny Gaudreau. Just 2 years into a 7 year, 68.25 million dollar contract, the slight forward from Boston College has 1 goal and 5 assists in 16 games. The Coyotes start to the season pleases most of the fans (I know it doesn't please you @Jakey53) as they sit at 7-6-2 through 15 games. As RT has noted multiple times in previous threads, their xVORP, Stuff+ and pnxG are all through the roof, further evidence that the Coyotes are coming out of their 20 year rebuild. The main player holding the Coyotes back, besides their entire defensive unit (unless it's Sean Durzi on the PP), has been Barrett Hayton. Totaling just 1+2 through his first 15 games while centering two of the Coyotes most dynamic forwards in Nick Schmaltz and Clayton Keller is extremely disappointing, for lack of a better term.

Tonights Lineups:
Keller - Hayton - Schmaltz
Maccelli - Bjugstad - Crouse
Carcone - Cooley - Zucker
O'Brien - Kerfoot - Boyd (please just call up Jenik)
Moser - Durzi
Stetcher - Dumba
Koly - Brown
Ingram will (probably) be getting the start in net as AT continues to just rotate the goalies.

Voronkov - Fantilli - Marchenko
Chinakhov - Jenner - Laine
Gaudreau - Sillinger - Bemstrom
Texier - Kuraly - Danforth
Provorov - Severson
Werenski - Gudbranson
Bean - Jiricek
Merzlinkins

Fun Fact of the Night:
Nationwide Arena is the current host of the Arnold Classic (per wiki), the yearly body building competition put on by former Governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger (oh and he might be a former body building champion and movie star).​

Last edited:

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
When I played in adult beer leagues, it was as a forward 90% of the time. But now and then I would play as a D man. In some ways it was less tiring, but it was definitely different for me in that I had to do a lot more reading of the play and be ready ahead of time. As a forward it was more ( but not completely) of a react as quickly as possible type of game.
The career was over when I realized that the puck and the other skaters were gone before my feet started moving :/

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Gonna have to disagree with you on this one man. Ride this out until the trade deadline, if we are firmly in a playoff position then you start playing one more than the other.
Vejmelka is losing all his games and Ingram is winning all of his though. I'm good with the tandem but at some point soon I'd like to see Ingram get a few consecutive starts. Maybe it'll light a Veggie fire.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
Vejmelka is losing all his games and Ingram is winning all of his though. I'm good with the tandem but at some point soon I'd like to see Ingram get a few consecutive starts. Maybe it'll light a Veggie fire.
yup, dry him out 1st, then apply the match ( wet veggies dont burn well)

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I get it, but it's not like Veggie is getting blown out. They're close games. Give him chances to steal one and get his confidence back

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m tired of rotating the goalies. Give them a good stretch each to find a groove.
I think it's working pretty good so far. Let them battle it out and see which one distinguishes them self as #1

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one man. Ride this out until the trade deadline, if we are firmly in a playoff position then you start playing one more than the other.
Or trade one then.

Something will give sooner or later.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pour one out today for the Oakland A’s fans, who just officially lost their team. May we never have to endure that heartbreak.
Then maybe they should vote differently instead of the same old crap. They had their wake up call when they lost the Raiders, and did nothing.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Veggie hasn’t looked good in about a month. 1 of his last 6 above .900 and averaging .879 over that time.

He always does this, has a hot streak at some point then people don't start noticing he's playing like a turd burglar till his overall #s catch up. He's fine for now, we could have worse goalies, but our real long term #1 is not on this team yet IMO.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Still, the goalie situation could be so, so much worse. Today's data mining: teams with both goalies in the top half of Sv%, 5 or more starts (52 qualifiers total)...

Boston*
Vegas*
Vancouver*
NY Rangers*
Montreal
NY Islanders....and.....
Arizona

* - top 4 in overall standings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad