GDT: Game 16: Arizona Templars @ Washington Illuminati | 5:00 p.m. MST | FS-A

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Heroic effort by Wedgewood in that loss. We should be counting our blessings that we even forced overtime. The third period was a sloppy mess by both teams but I think we're lucky that the Capitals couldn't put it away in the second period with how absolutely awfully we were playing.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
This game looks like the beginning of the end for Oliver Ekman-Larsson. We didn't draft him as a green offensive-focused defenseman like Erik Karlsson was when he was young (and EK later progressed and got his shit together in his own end). We drafted him as a defensman who could produce respectably, but not at a Norris-caliber level (since the Norris trophy seems to be mostly for the best offensive defenseman rather than the best "all-around" defenseman), and be a reliable anchor in his own zone. OEL's offensive game is still pretty consistent with his 9 points in 16 games. That's not in question. He's gotten progressively worse on the back end though, and that worries me. If that's the type of player he's evolving into, we need to take him off the top pairing and shelter his minutes, because the way he's been playing this season, he's not a guy you want to be the big minute eater on the ice 25-30 minutes per game. It might be time to give him the Keith Yandle treatment in which case. Put him on a lower 5v5 pairing but keep him on the top power play unit; with whom I don't know. He just doesn't seem capable of being a number one defenseman anymore, but could easily thrive in a slightly diminished role. His career path seems to be following that of Paul Coffey but with a shorter peak. Coffey spent his later years being demoted to the 3rd pairing but iced on the top PP unit and put on the ice in situations where it was balls-to-the-wall trying to score. His defensive weakness wasn't a factor there, because he was no longer on the ice trying to hold down the fort, and was no longer used on the PK at that stage in his career. It's a shame because OEL is only 26 and that happened to Coffey after he was 35, though. I don't know what to think.

Pardon my ramble on the subject, but I will stand to the death by everything I just said.

Reactions: AndrewYotes

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
OEL's defensive problems are due to his disinterested play at times and his injuries. I don't think it has anything to do with him getting away from a certain style or changing his. He's just a headcase with a brace right now.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
OEL's defensive problems are due to his disinterested play at times and his injuries. I don't think it has anything to do with him getting away from a certain style or changing his. He's just a headcase with a brace right now.

It's gone from bad to worse too. I think we need Chychrun back to even begin evaluting whether OEL is movable. Demers is starting to put it together and looking noticeable in the system. His mistakes are becoming forgivable unlike Gologoski. If Chychrun can come in and play to OEL's current level our top 4 doesnt lose much by moving Oliver this year. We obviously may be moving a top 10 defenseman but it doesnt matter if he won't play like one in AZ anyways.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is an extremely low quality PP. Rieder should not be out there. I don't have as much of a problem with him on the top line 5 on 5 but he doesn't need PP time when he's got 1 point in his last 12.
Playing Reider on the top line and on the PP reminds me of playing Korpikoski there. Reider has speed but hands of stone.

Reactions: RemoAZ and Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't get why they continually try to make Rieder something he isn't. He's not a scorer. He's a great penalty killer and a good defensive player that can chip in with some secondary scoring. He's a valuable player but not a top six . He is what he is. What's wrong with that?

Bingo. Tell RT that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We're rounding into last years form. If we can manage a loser point Bonsai may renew afterall with all this entertaining hockey!

Washington is a top five team, so hanging with them is a great learning experience.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This game looks like the beginning of the end for Oliver Ekman-Larsson. We didn't draft him as a green offensive-focused defenseman like Erik Karlsson was when he was young (and EK later progressed and got his **** together in his own end). We drafted him as a defensman who could produce respectably, but not at a Norris-caliber level (since the Norris trophy seems to be mostly for the best offensive defenseman rather than the best "all-around" defenseman), and be a reliable anchor in his own zone. OEL's offensive game is still pretty consistent with his 9 points in 16 games. That's not in question. He's gotten progressively worse on the back end though, and that worries me. If that's the type of player he's evolving into, we need to take him off the top pairing and shelter his minutes, because the way he's been playing this season, he's not a guy you want to be the big minute eater on the ice 25-30 minutes per game. It might be time to give him the Keith Yandle treatment in which case. Put him on a lower 5v5 pairing but keep him on the top power play unit; with whom I don't know. He just doesn't seem capable of being a number one defenseman anymore, but could easily thrive in a slightly diminished role. His career path seems to be following that of Paul Coffey but with a shorter peak. Coffey spent his later years being demoted to the 3rd pairing but iced on the top PP unit and put on the ice in situations where it was balls-to-the-wall trying to score. His defensive weakness wasn't a factor there, because he was no longer on the ice trying to hold down the fort, and was no longer used on the PK at that stage in his career. It's a shame because OEL is only 26 and that happened to Coffey after he was 35, though. I don't know what to think.

Pardon my ramble on the subject, but I will stand to the death by everything I just said.

I think you should chill. OEL is our best D by a country mile. He has been playing with different partners the last two years, and while we know he can play much better, we should give him a break here.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think you should chill. OEL is our best D by a country mile. He has been playing with different partners the last two years, and while we know he can play much better, we should give him a break here.

I dunno. Something more is going on with OEL than simply an injury, IMO. He's showing little of the skill that made him such a threat in previous seasons, and he just looks disinterested. I hope Chayka looks up from his spreadsheets long enough to try and figure out what's going on.

Reactions: AndrewYotes

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Washington is a top five team, so hanging with them is a great learning experience.
I agree. We got good goal tending and mostly solid on D. We had less turnovers then 4 or 5 games ago. we got a point against a good team on the road, we should be happy with that any day. Plus, we held them to 2 goals. If we hold teams to 2 goals or less, we have a chance to win.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Was not a fan of the reffing last night. The ticky tack slash calls (both ways) are just ridiculous. Especially when they decide to swallow the whistle at other times during the game, apparently.

OEL did have a bad game, imo. Even though I believe the Yotes would have gotten a penalty if they did the same thing Oshie did in OT... still not a very smart play by him considering the circumstance. Gassed and need a change, just got to get it out and not ice it at that point. Or hell, pass it back to Wedgewood and let him cover it if he wants. I will give him credit for getting back into the play and deflecting the puck.. although it ended up right on a capitals stick for the goal, so that was unlucky.

Anyways, the Yotes in general did not look good. They look horrible finishing games holding on for dear life. Just look afraid to lose instead of trying to win.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Nobody knows what is going on with OEL. His mom died, he has battled injuries, the team is bad, he has a new coach and a new system. It might all be too much for him and it shows in his play. Maybe he wants out now or says he wants out, we don't know. He is still a very young person to handle all this adversity and pressure. Over time, if the team wins a few games, he gets a few goals, and hammer comes back, his mental state will improve and he will play better.

There is no doubt that he is an elite top 10 D in the NHL, he hasn't all of a sudden become a bad player. Trading him now would be a potentially huge mistake. #1D are hard to draft or trade for. We need to be patient with OEL, he is our best and most valuable player, you don't trade guys like him 15-20 games into a season.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
We need to be patient with OEL, he is our best and most valuable player, you don't trade guys like him 15-20 games into a season.

While I agree that you don't trade a guy like OEL this early, and I also agree that we need to give him at least until the deadline to figure out what he wants, he isn't our best or even most valuable player right now. That's indisputably Clayton Keller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad