Post-Game Talk: GAME 16 - 14-2 - 9-0 at home - BRUINS 5 Vancouver 2 F

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The past couple of seasons, the regular season to me was pretty boring. I hated the turn the other cheek mentality and the robot hockey. It was successful, so shame on me I guess, but it was boring. Montgomery encourages these guys to stand up for one another, first and foremost. Do what you need, we got your back we will kill the penalty. He also wants to score some goals, and wants them to throw some hits...being out of position sometimes isn't the offense it was once here.

Also as @DominicT said in another thread, a round of applause is in order for John Gruden. Love Clifton's game. Forbort looked great. Gryz played off side alot and in the D Zone more than I can remember (at least early). Carlo looks pretty sturdy. Lindholm a legit Norris contender. Great stuff.

@Bruinator you got this! Prayers sent. Let us know how you did
I think many of us fell into that trap, the team is winning and performing well so it's hard to be mad about the "make them pay on the PP" mentality.

But then you see Nosek take the extra minutes defending Pasta last night and you appreciate it as a fan and can tell the players appreciate it, and you realize that you can defend your teammates and still make them pay on the score sheet. Hopefully they're still smart about it and don't take dumb penalties in a game 7, but I dont see that being an issue.

I liked Cassidy, but now seeing their style I can say so far I LOVE Monty and what he's preaching.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
Well its been a fun ride so far this year but I now face the biggest challenge of my life. Open Heart surgury this Thursday to replace aortic valve and a large piece of my Aorta. I pray that wasnt the last game I ever watch but I have a great surgical team lined up at Toronto General so hopefully I will be able to watch and join in the conversations sometime after a couple of weeks recovery.
As a old cardiac nurse, let me send my best to you. After the recovery period, you will feel so much better and your heart will be pumping so much more efficiently. Just follow all your instructions to a "T" and all will be well. Keep us informed when you feel up to it.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Well its been a fun ride so far this year but I now face the biggest challenge of my life. Open Heart surgury this Thursday to replace aortic valve and a large piece of my Aorta. I pray that wasnt the last game I ever watch but I have a great surgical team lined up at Toronto General so hopefully I will be able to watch and join in the conversations sometime after a couple of weeks recovery.
My Father-in-law had a similar procedure (plumbing as he called it) done over 20 years ago and was very healthy until dementia took him a couple years ago just short of 90.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I think many of us fell into that trap, the team is winning and performing well so it's hard to be mad about the "make them pay on the PP" mentality.

But then you see Nosek take the extra minutes defending Pasta last night and you appreciate it as a fan and can tell the players appreciate it, and you realize that you can defend your teammates and still make them pay on the score sheet. Hopefully they're still smart about it and don't take dumb penalties in a game 7, but I dont see that being an issue.

I liked Cassidy, but now seeing their style I can say so far I LOVE Monty and what he's preaching.
Solution to that is not to let any series get as far a game 7!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The past couple of seasons, the regular season to me was pretty boring. I hated the turn the other cheek mentality and the robot hockey. It was successful, so shame on me I guess, but it was boring. Montgomery encourages these guys to stand up for one another, first and foremost. Do what you need, we got your back we will kill the penalty. He also wants to score some goals, and wants them to throw some hits...being out of position sometimes isn't the offense it was once here.

Also as @DominicT said in another thread, a round of applause is in order for John Gruden. Love Clifton's game. Forbort looked great. Gryz played off side alot and in the D Zone more than I can remember (at least early). Carlo looks pretty sturdy. Lindholm a legit Norris contender. Great stuff.

The funny thing is Vegas under Cassidy aren't boring. Probably not as dynamic as the Bruins have been, but still they're pretty fun to watch. So it seems Bruce himself has either learned a thing or two, or his current roster simply responds differently to what he's preaching (probably at least in part because it's still fresh), or Vegas ownership have told him to keep things entertaining because, you know, this is Vegas.

As someone else said here (sorry can't remember who), both teams have found the right coach for them.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
You got this! Hear from you soon!

Smith has been playing well and I still believe in him ... I believe he's being preserved for a trade. Perhaps packaged with Reilly.
Smith isn't scoring though.
Smith $3,100,000 (free agent in 2023) vs, Greer $762,500 (until 2024) that's the real issue.

I'd love trading Smith and Reilly but who would take on that much salary for that little return??? I'm thinking nobody.

Reactions: Gordoff

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
The funny thing is Vegas under Cassidy aren't boring. Probably not as dynamic as the Bruins have been, but still they're pretty fun to watch. So it seems Bruce himself has either learned a thing or two, or his current roster simply responds differently to what he's preaching (probably at least in part because it's still fresh), or Vegas ownership have told him to keep things entertaining because, you know, this is Vegas.

As someone else said here (sorry can't remember who), both teams have found the right coach for them.
I saw Eichel actually back checking in the game against Buffalo (where the story was he often quit coming back and almost never back checked) so I guess they are buying in to Cassidy at this point.
The test is if/when they have a rough patch. See if Cassidy starts dumping on them as he did here to certain players and then see if they keep playing the same for him. Cassidy's a very good coach, but I don't think he's a good players coach in this day and age and that's what ends up sinking him.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Cassidy's first few years were fun here too. Not at this level, but I think losing the SCF changed him and he got pretty conservative and ruled with more of an iron fist on his way. It weighed on the players. So maybe he has learned, or maybe it's just the nature with coaching. You come in and let the players show you what you have first, then reign them into your system.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I saw Eichel actually back checking in the game against Buffalo (where the story was he often quit coming back and almost never back checked) so I guess they are buying in to Cassidy at this point.
The test is if/when they have a rough patch. See if Cassidy starts dumping on them as he did here to certain players and then see if they keep playing the same for him. Cassidy's a very good coach, but I don't think he's a good players coach in this day and age and that's what ends up sinking him.

I don't think Cassidy publicly criticized players as much as seems to have become generally believed. In his first years in charge here it almost never happened, and I think it was only in the last season, and maybe a little before, that it started to become any sort of issue. Cassidy jumped the shark when he called out Swayman in a loss that was anything but his fault, and there's no doubt that around that time he lost some perspective and I think was letting the pressure get to him, but otherwise it just doesn't strike me that he was especially hard on his players.

Nonetheless he says he's learnt some lessons from at the end of his time in Boston, so we'll see if he behaves differently in Vegas.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Cassidy's first few years were fun here too. Not at this level, but I think losing the SCF changed him and he got pretty conservative and ruled with more of an iron fist on his way. It weighed on the players. So maybe he has learned, or maybe it's just the nature with coaching. You come in and let the players show you what you have first, then reign them into your system.

Yeah I think that's spot on. The early Cassidy Bruins were a pretty free-wheeling team that still played solid D but was quite dynamic offensively. Guys like young DeBrusk and Heinen came into the team and made an impact, and by all accounts seemed to be enjoying themselves. But as the team started to struggle more in the last couple of years and the roster declined, Cassidy's response was to clamp down and cling conservatively to what he knew worked, rather than try and change things up and encourage more creative ways of finding success.

In the end that and being too harsh/aloof did him in, and I think he'll have reflected on and acknowledged that. Whether that tendency is still there and just waiting to re-emerge when the heat returns, time will tell.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Bergy is a great guy Exhibit 26896324578

7099D2D2-E623-4F21-AC43-066B97A2EAEC.gif

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10

That's something that made the 2011 Bruins great. They had the penalty kill that you need in order to take some chances in defending teammates. Then it all becomes contagious. I think every Bruin had at least one fight during those years.
The Bruins have a lot of good penalty killers throughout the lineup. A good penalty kill is a sign of a team willing to make sacrifices for the group.

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah
Wishing you a full and pain-free recovery❤️💛🖤In the spirit of this season’s Bruins: we will start you out as week-to-week, upgrade you to day-to-day, announce you are ahead of schedule and see you back posting sooner than anyone expected. Good vibes coming your way :yo:

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

My father had surgery for a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm eight years ago and made it through. Your surgical team will no doubt be second to none, and we all look forward to having you back!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad