GDT: Game #16 - 11.13.14 - at Los Angeles - 9:30 PM - FS Southwest+ - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Just noticed they didn't credit Klingberg with any takeaways... Pretty sure he had at least one, maybe 2...

I'll be shocked if Ruff doesn't try Klingberg on the 1st PP unit within the next game or two. There's no real reason not to, he did really well for the 2nd unit.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Didnt catch the game, how was Oleksiak?

The only time I really noticed him was when he got decimated on the boards but he didn't do anything noticeably dumb. It was the best defensive game by the entire team so far this season.

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
He got destroyed along the boards once, and he was the bad part of the Kari save, but besides that...not too bad.

He was out of position because he thought that it looked like Kari wasn't going to get back into the net before Clifford shot it from the half boards, so he skated toward the net to block the shot. Once he was in front of the net, he tried to push Lewis off the puck instead of skating back to cover Stoll.

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised that Martin Jones didn't get second star of the game.

TestGrave

Nov 30, 2013
Central Florida
I thought he was really solid actually, didnt really notice him too much which is what I wanted from him.

Well, he also played less than 9 minutes in the game... Thought he deserved a little more time... But then again, no goals against tonight... So something must have went right today :yo:

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
He was out of position because he thought that it looked like Kari wasn't going to get back into the net before Clifford shot it from the half boards, so he skated toward the net to block the shot. Once he was in front of the net, he tried to push Lewis off the puck instead of skating back to cover Stoll.

Doesn't really make sense for him to do so since Dillon was already on that side covering.

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
Just noticed they didn't credit Klingberg with any takeaways... Pretty sure he had at least one, maybe 2...

I'll be shocked if Ruff doesn't try Klingberg on the 1st PP unit within the next game or two. There's no real reason not to, he did really well for the 2nd unit.

It just means that either the NHL classified them as giveaways by LA, or he separated the opponent from the puck but there was no change of possession, so it was neither a giveaway or a takeaway.

MetalGodAOD*

Well, he also played less than 9 minutes in the game... Thought he deserved a little more time... But then again, no goals against tonight... So something must have went right today :yo:

Wow the ****, didn't even notice that. Who was Ruff double shifting?

modano

Mar 29, 2010
The only time I really noticed him was when he got decimated on the boards but he didn't do anything noticeably dumb.

Well, following that he pushed a LA player into Lehtonen - again. That could've been costly but Kari managed to make the save.

Verbal Kint

Oct 9, 2007
Klingberg should be on 1pp-unit on Goligoski's place. Klingbergs benefits are right shot and better passer. He probably has faster "hockey-brain" as well, Goligoski is so slow making decisions it often drives me crazy.

Oleksiak is getting better but I hate how soft he is. He just doesn't have too much grit in him.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Klingberg should be on 1pp-unit on Goligoski's place. Klingbergs benefits are right shot and better passer. He probably has faster "hockey-brain" as well, Goligoski is so slow making decisions it often drives me crazy.

Oleksiak is getting better but I hate how soft he is. He just doesn't have too much grit in him.

Once he isn't afraid to make mistakes and stops trying to think so much, I feel like he will naturally learn to use his size better. I hope they stick with him and let him learn from his mistakes because in a few years he could be a really good shut down defender. The future looks good with Klinger, Nemeth, Big Rig, and Honka but they really need to show patience and develop a big guy like Oleksiak.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth

Sad thing is he already has more hits this year then Dillon, and is like 3rd on the team I think? In hits

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Yeah that's where this team is lacking right now in my opinion. Other than the pit-bulls, Jamie, and Cole very few people deliver hits. Nil brought in finesse players like Spezza and Hemsky and that's all great but seemed like the team took their finesse mentality for a while. McKenzie coming up as really helped and if Richie gets a call up I hear he is physical as well, but somebody needs to tell the big guys like Dillion and Big Rig to make people pay in our zone. On the bright side, Klingberg threw a nice hit tonight, I don't know if anybody noticed.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

Goligoski is not on the 1st PP unit, Daley is. What needs to happen is to add Klingberg to Daley on the point first. Then, either replace Roussel with Spezza or put the latter on the 2nd PP unit. Going forward there is basically no reason why Klingberg should not be getting as many PP minutes as he can handle.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Goligoski is not on the 1st PP unit, Daley is. What needs to happen is to add Klingberg to Daley on the point first. Then, either replace Roussel with Spezza or put the latter on the 2nd PP unit. Going forward there is basically no reason why Klingberg should not be getting as many PP minutes as he can handle.

PP 1 Daley Klingberg Seguin Benn Hemsky ( move Benn to the net and allow Hemsky to use his passing skills)

PP 2 Goligoski KConn (when he's in)Spezza Eakin Roussel

If Hemsky sucks it up try McKenzie or Horcoff

I think Spezza and Eakin together would actually gives us a #2 power play unit for the 1st time in years.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
This team needs good Garbutt going forward. He used his speed and shot all night to cause problems. Obviously he's not going to have 8 shots a night but that's really the first consistent showing of last year's Garbutt, a guy capable of potting 15+ goals.

There aren't superlatives enough to describe Klingberg's play. Kid is a stud. Calling Arno I think I'd like my Klingberg avatar now. Whatever is the most awesome car in the world, that's John right now.

Oleksiak's minutes are a problem but I guess if Ruff really is going to play Klingberg 20+ minutes that's a smaller issue. Perhaps going forward we can limit Benn's minutes instead.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
A nice reminder of the good old days of being in the Pacific division, when more often than not, staying up to watch the game was rewarded with some nice play. It wasn't even as exciting as some games the last few years in LA, as for the first time this year, it just felt like they were going to protect that lead. Except for a small flurry near the end of the second, and a few odd spurts, they kept LA bottled up. Yes, they caught them on a back end of a back to back, but still, it is an accomplishment.

As to Klinger, like others, I watched him specifically every time he was on the ice. I haven't looked at the stats, but I never saw a turnover out of him, and only one missed pass in the third that went for icing. I think we were still credited with 9 giveaways as a team, but the number of troublesome zone exits seemed reduced, and against a strong team.

I guess none of us want to overplay this kid and get too excited, but its hard not to be. I think I posted yesterday, he won't be the next Zubov, but he will be close enough, IMHO. Add in Honka if he gets here next year or so and we will really (and finally) built a pretty solid D through the draft, as long promised. Maybe no HOF candidates, but solid enough.

At least, we can hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad