GDT: Game 15: Coyotes @ Nashville Predators - 6:00pm - BSAZ, 620AM

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Why not? The weather along with team stability and a solid playoff roster won't be enough to help convince some free agents to come here?

Why wouldn't we be as attractive to a free agent as just about any other team once we have earned some respect?

Edit: It sounds like you believe that no one will ever want to come here and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Stability and a playoff roster is what you need, but until then no one is coming here. But look back at when the team first moved here; playoff team, competitive, star power. They still didn't sign anyone. Amonte wasn't very sought-after when he signed here because teams thought he was done. He had a decent season in 03-04 after playing here, but he was on the downslope when he signed here. Jovo, I suppose, is probably the biggest name. I don't remember a lot of teams going after him. Vancouver's defense was crap and they let him walk after paying Luongo, so I think that kind of speaks to how desirable he was. Nedved wasn't at all sought-after.

People keep insisting the weather will be a factor. Not buying it. And saying that Phoenix has a lifestyle advantage over a Canadian city, is pretty absurd unless you're talking about Winnipeg. Anyone that says that hasn't spent much time in the larger Canadian cities.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Stability and a playoff roster is what you need, but until then no one is coming here. But look back at when the team first moved here; playoff team, competitive, star power. They still didn't sign anyone. Amonte wasn't very sought-after when he signed here because teams thought he was done. He had a decent season in 03-04 after playing here, but he was on the downslope when he signed here. Jovo, I suppose, is probably the biggest name. I don't remember a lot of teams going after him. Vancouver's defense was crap and they let him walk after paying Luongo, so I think that kind of speaks to how desirable he was. Nedved wasn't at all sought-after.

People keep insisting the weather will be a factor. Not buying it. And saying that Phoenix has a lifestyle advantage over a Canadian city, is pretty absurd unless you're talking about Winnipeg. Anyone that says that hasn't spent much time in the larger Canadian cities.
Toronto signed JT, other than that, premiere UFAs have not signed in Canada (that I recall). Nice cities, but too cold and with a family, AZ is way more attractive. It's an advantage, but only if we have a decent team and pay equal money, until then, we only sign mid tier guys. Jovo/Amonte/Ribs, etc, no premier names.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Despite my "Negative Nancy" approach in this thread, I do think the organization is headed in the right direction. They've got--and I didn't check the actual numbers--roughly 1,743 picks in next summer's draft and that's how you build a team in the NHL nowadays. That was the way it used to be done when teams didn't have lucrative TV deals and huge arenas and ample revenue and oh my god, I sound old. Regardless, you draft smart and you build a winner and once those kids are ready. They've been playing together for years in the minors and that familiarity leads to goals that lead to wins.

The potential Tempe arena deal is the big fish, though. Without that, none of the rest of this matters. If it goes through and is looming on the horizon, then there's finally stability that the organization can show potential free-agent signees.

I still don't trust that Meruelo is going to spend money, but maybe he will if he gets that arena. I know he really wanted an NBA team and I think buying the Coyotes was just a way to prove to the NBA that he can own a team. We'll see what happens.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

I agree. Not saying that AZ is better than anywhere else, just that it's not any worse.

Quite a large amount of our population is retirees from colder states & provinces, so I do think climate can be a factor when a free agent is considering multiple offers. Not THE decision maker, but a big factor in that decision making process.

Edit: The thing I find strange is that we are hardly ever in the rumors as trying to aquire star players when we hear they're available for trade or through free agency. We hear other teams are rumored to be in the mix, but never us lol. That could be because we're not after them or because we get no media interest.

Last edited:

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Toronto signed JT, other than that, premiere UFAs have not signed in Canada (that I recall). Nice cities, but too cold and with a family, AZ is way more attractive. It's an advantage, but only if we have a decent team and pay equal money, until then, we only sign mid tier guys. Jovo/Amonte/Ribs, etc, no premier names.

So the extensions that Marner and Mathews signed don't count? Tkachuk's deal in Ottawa? Tkachuk's deal in Calgary? McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, etc. in Edmonton? Quinn Hughes in Vancouver? Petterson in Vancouver?

I know those guys weren't free agents with families, but every one of those guys could've gotten paid bank in any NHL city and they all extended in the cities they were in already. They all chose to stay. Trust me, I love the weather here from October to May as much as anyone, but I don't think Phoenix is as attractive to players as you're making it out to be.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Edit: The thing I find strange is that we are hardly ever in the rumors as trying to aquire star players when we hear they're available for trade or through free agency. We hear other teams are rumored to be in the mix, but never us lol. That could be because we're not after them or because we get no media interest.

LOL. Right? I think it's a combination of "guys have no interest in signing here" and a little bit of "no interest in star players because star players want money that Meruelo doesn't want to part with."

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
LOL. Right? I think it's a combination of "guys have no interest in signing here" and a little bit of "no interest in star players because star players want money that Meruelo doesn't want to part with."

I'm hoping that Meruelo will be willing to spend when the time is right. We'll see! We need to draft our core and fill in from there. Complimentary players should be a bit easier to convince. Core players in their prime mostly seem to stay put anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prarievarg

cobra427

May 6, 2012
So the extensions that Marner and Mathews signed don't count? Tkachuk's deal in Ottawa? Tkachuk's deal in Calgary? McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, etc. in Edmonton? Quinn Hughes in Vancouver? Petterson in Vancouver?

I know those guys weren't free agents with families, but every one of those guys could've gotten paid bank in any NHL city and they all extended in the cities they were in already. They all chose to stay. Trust me, I love the weather here from October to May as much as anyone, but I don't think Phoenix is as attractive to players as you're making it out to be.
None of those guys were UFAs testing the market, they all signed with their existing teams. Existing teams have an advantage and can generally pay more or for more years. I am not saying Canada based teams lose good players when they are approaching UFA. I am saying they don't attract other teams UFAs, that is crystal clear.

Reactions: Jakey53

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
None of those guys were UFAs testing the market, they all signed with their existing teams. Existing teams have an advantage and can generally pay more or for more years. I am not saying Canada based teams lose good players when they are approaching UFA. I am saying they don't attract other teams UFAs, that is crystal clear.

I guess if you're a free agent looking for anonymity then signing here is the best spot. Travis Green told me the best part about living here was that he could go out to dinner with his wife, or take his kids out and no one ever bothered him because they didn't know who he was.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
From the list of top 20 free agents this past summer Hyman, Barrie, Coleman, Savard, and Stastney all signed in Canada.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Wait till they hit UFA status.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Hyman was already in Canada, and Coleman was all money, probably same with Hyman.
So really at the end of the day folks are going to make every excuse as to why free agents sign in Canada rather than just the fact that they did sign in Canada?? It just is not reality that "no Canada" exists and its also nowhere near reality that nhl players choose sun over snow. They want money, they want stability, and they want to win. And some of them really want to be in a place where hockey is everything while some want to be anonymous.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So really at the end of the day folks are going to make every excuse as to why free agents sign in Canada rather than just the fact that they did sign in Canada?? It just is not reality that "no Canada" exists and its also nowhere near reality that nhl players choose sun over snow. They want money, they want stability, and they want to win. And some of them really want to be in a place where hockey is everything while some want to be anonymous.
Tell that to Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and Ottawa. You can add teams such as the Coyotes, Buffalo etc. The stars and superstars can more or less go where they want. It also depends on age, but the majority it's $$$ and stability like you mentioned. Careers are shot. Do you think McDavid is going to re up with Edmonton? Or Drai? I doubt it will be with Edmonton, or the Coyotes as far as that goes.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Tell that to Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and Ottawa. You can add teams such as the Coyotes, Buffalo etc. The stars and superstars can more or less go where they want. It also depends on age, but the majority it's $$$ and stability like you mentioned. Careers are shot. Do you think McDavid is going to re up with Edmonton? Or Drai? I doubt it will be with Edmonton, or the Coyotes as far as that goes.
You do know McDavid and Draisaitl both signed for the max they could in Edmonton right?? And that Hyman just signed max years there are well? Really strange example to try to use???

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You do know McDavid and Draisaitl both signed for the max they could in Edmonton right?? And that Hyman just signed max years there are well? Really strange example to try to use???
McDavid and Drai really had no other option. They will when they hit UFA. Hyman was about $$ and fit. I didn't say "no" FA's will sign in Canada, but when they have options, many times they bolt Canada. I don't think many players worth their salt would say no to TO or Vancouver. The rest of the teams I wouldn't even consider. That is me personally.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
McDavid and Drai really had no other option. They will when they hit UFA. Hyman was about $$ and fit. I didn't say "no" FA's will sign in Canada, but when they have options, many times they bolt Canada. I don't think many players worth their salt would say no to TO or Vancouver. The rest of the teams I wouldn't even consider. That is me personally.
Yet Marner in Toronto signed for 6 years and will be a UFA before both. And Matthews signed for 5 years in Toronto and will be UFA before both??? But the Oiler's players had to sign for maximum years??? You really should stop posting on this topic that you obviously are not following. One would expect most FA to sign in the US, it's where 70% of the teams are. But I just showed you yesterday that a few of the top 10 signed in Canada last season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yet Marner in Toronto signed for 6 years and will be a UFA before both. And Matthews signed for 5 years in Toronto and will be UFA before both??? But the Oiler's players had to sign for maximum years??? You really should stop posting on this topic that you obviously are not following. One would expect most FA to sign in the US, it's where 70% of the teams are. But I just showed you yesterday that a few of the top 10 signed in Canada last season.
Wait till they hit UFA status. I doubt both Marner and Matthews will stay in TO. One will probably be traded before that happens. Same in Edmonton. McDavid and/or Drai will move on. TO is the only NHL organization that wears the "big boy pants" in Canada.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Wait till they hit UFA status. I doubt both Marner and Matthews will stay in TO. One will probably be traded before that happens. Same in Edmonton. McDavid and/or Drai will move on. TO is the only NHL organization that wears the "big boy pants" in Canada.
Literally no one is saying they will all stay??? But you are the one saying free agents don't sign in Canada yet proof has been provided that they do. I was just in the middle of looking up where the top 20 signed this past summer when you came out with another hot take.

From my quick look:

8 signed in Canada

2 signed in New Jersey

2 signed in Boston

2 signed in Seattle

I think the point might be made that weather might not play much of a role for free agents, of course for some it's most important.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
BTW Jakey in regards to choice, Marner had a large offer on the table from a US team when he was RFA that he would not sign. Did not want any part of possibly leaving Toronto should they not like the contract and take the picks. If those 2 in Toronto don't get anywhere near the promised land in next few years I suspect the Leafs will be the ones severing the relationship with at least 1. I also think McDavid plays his whole career in Edmonton if they have success.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2