GDT: Game 15: Coyotes @ Nashville Predators - 6:00pm - BSAZ, 620AM

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Tippet made something out of nothing. Touringy is doing nothing with nothing. Or maybe he making nothing out of less than nothing. Really hard to say.

Tippett had Bryzgalov playing well, a solid defensive core, a ton of raw talent up front before injuries decimated our players (Wolski was ppg in 09-10, so was Stempniak) as well as some solid defensively minded vets and his style has always been super high on defense. Next season was basically the same roster but with Whitney, and then 11-12 we had OEL step up, we bulked up as a whole, and became super tough to play against.

We had the shortened season, and lost Wolski, Stempniak, Bryz, Jofanovski and Turris who well, some were more important than others but were all roster players, and replaced them with like, Torres, Klesla, Chip, Rozsival etc. That was also the year Schlemko and Stone were leaned more on. And uh...well as soon as we lost most of our vets Tip just curled into a ball and sucked. So yeah, I don't think Tippet is even remotely responsible for those seasons we made the playoffs and is much more responsible for not making the playoffs subsequently, yeah he wasn't given much to work with but part of his job was to develop players and he literally churned out waste and handled players awfully, at least some of our draft history has to be on him and not just our scouts.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
No self respecting FA will come here until we start icing a team that can compete. We’re so far away from competing, it’s absurd.

The Coyotes have never signed a top-tier free agent in the history of the franchise. Not one big name ever that was still at a point in their career when they were desirable. You're absolutely right but if/when they get competitive, they still won't necessarily draw anyone.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Signing a UFA is about money, you pay the most you sign them, you don't pay the most, they sign elsewhere. I doubt next year that we pay big money for a name brand UFA, it's too early. I think it will be more filler type players.

It's not that simple. Guys in the prime of their careers that are coveted by everyone also want to win. The UFAs don't always go to the highest bidder.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The Coyotes have never signed a top-tier free agent in the history of the franchise. Not one big name ever that was still at a point in their career when they were desirable. You're absolutely right but if/when they get competitive, they still won't necessarily draw anyone.
Phoenix will be a very desirable place to play/live, but we have to prove we are a top notch organization and the team has to be competitive on the ice.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Signing a UFA is about money, you pay the most you sign them, you don't pay the most, they sign elsewhere. I doubt next year that we pay big money for a name brand UFA, it's too early. I think it will be more filler type players.
Sorry but I disagree. Where you are going is higher then cash. You have to enjoy going to work, if not doesn’t matter the pay. At least for me.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Ribeiro even started off reasonably well! I think people forget that sometimes.

It wasn't till the last 3 months of the season his bad habits seemed to catch up to him again. Through December that year he had 29 points in 39 games.
He had a mini resurgence after he left too. As did Amonte.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Tippett had Bryzgalov playing well, a solid defensive core, a ton of raw talent up front before injuries decimated our players (Wolski was ppg in 09-10, so was Stempniak) as well as some solid defensively minded vets and his style has always been super high on defense. Next season was basically the same roster but with Whitney, and then 11-12 we had OEL step up, we bulked up as a whole, and became super tough to play against.

We had the shortened season, and lost Wolski, Stempniak, Bryz, Jofanovski and Turris who well, some were more important than others but were all roster players, and replaced them with like, Torres, Klesla, Chip, Rozsival etc. That was also the year Schlemko and Stone were leaned more on. And uh...well as soon as we lost most of our vets Tip just curled into a ball and sucked. So yeah, I don't think Tippet is even remotely responsible for those seasons we made the playoffs and is much more responsible for not making the playoffs subsequently, yeah he wasn't given much to work with but part of his job was to develop players and he literally churned out waste and handled players awfully, at least some of our draft history has to be on him and not just our scouts.
That's an interesting way of interpreting DTs tenure here and one I had not considered. It makes sense. Don't leave our boy Derrick Morris out. He's one of my favorite Coyotes.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Ribeiro even started off reasonably well! I think people forget that sometimes.

It wasn't till the last 3 months of the season his bad habits seemed to catch up to him again. Through December that year he had 29 points in 39 games.
Didn't something happen with his wife then he fell apart? Like she found out he was cheating and left or something like that? I could be wrong. Watched a lot of that era drunk as hell.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Didn't something happen with his wife then he fell apart? Like she found out he was cheating and left or something like that? I could be wrong. Watched a lot of that era drunk as hell.
I think you are right. Ribeiro is such a stand up guy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

So wrong about DT.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

cobra427

May 6, 2012

We went from 79 to 107 points the year Tip took over, 2 years later we went to the WCF. 28 point improvement, coach has to get credit. We were the underdog all the way to the WCF. We can only dream about hiring a coach and improving 27 points, making the playoffs 3 years in a row, and top it off with a WCF appearance. That would be a miracle in any upcoming 3 year stretch:)

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
but if/when they get competitive, they still won't necessarily draw anyone

Why not? The weather along with team stability and a solid playoff roster won't be enough to help convince some free agents to come here?

Why wouldn't we be as attractive to a free agent as just about any other team once we have earned some respect?

Edit: It sounds like you believe that no one will ever want to come here and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Last edited:

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
So...

I'm in a weird mood rn. But I think this needs to be said as a guy who grew up a Caps fan (95-96ish) and followed a mediocre team who became the worst team in the league for a few years until we drafted Ovi. When I started following the Caps, the team played hard but was mediocre, made the playoffs every year as a low seed and lost to the Pens in the first round every year (funny how things repeat through time). But then the GM blew up the team.

1) Our rebuild will take much longer than a year. AFAIK we haven't discussed this at length but it needs to be said. The rebuild needs to happen until the draft picks from next year's draft become impact players. It's not a matter of 'maybe Shane Wright becomes the next McDavid' because even if he becomes the next McDavid he'd still be only 18 and not really have a supporting cast (see Eichel in Buffalo).

My guess is we could / should be amazing 3-5 years from now. Kind of like how Anaheim and Detroit (maybe) are right now after being horrible for however many years prior. We need a team that everyone agrees has good young talent, and atm we haven't even drafted this talent yet. Of course after we draft them they still have to mature. A core based around Chych, Keller and Schmaltz? Please. Other than last year's Chychrun, complementary players at best. And FWIW I think Keller has been much better this year. Still not even close to a top line winger on a contending team (e.g., Rantanen, Guentzel, Pasta, Kucherov etc).

2) Everyone is talking about tanking for Wright. Imo we didn't tank for Wright. Actually, we traded our good players for draft picks. If you all recall, we got good value for our trades too. The Kuemper deal, DVo etc, the 2nd rounder we got for taking GhostBear's contract and the great return for offloading OEL's contract... I mean we have 3 first rounders and 5 second rounders in what's supposed to be a great draft AND a GM who has shown in the past he knows how to draft (see STL's team). That's 1 out of 8 of the top 64 ppl in what's supposed to be an amazing draft. Frankly, it's absurd (in a good way). Seattle wishes they had done the trades we did.

3) Imo, it's a bonus, rather than a requirement if we get Wright. Even if we finish first (last?), it's still only a 25% chance, those are not great odds. As our former 'top 5' GM said, hope is not a plan. But we don't need to get lucky, either way we have 8 picks in the first 64 next year in a strong draft. If we get Shane Wright even better, but we don't need him if we draft well.

All right I'll get off my soapbox. Most importantly though I feel that unless we took some sort of extreme action we'd continue to be a borderline playoff team who'd be lucky to get bounced in the first round unless we randomly caught lightning in a bottle (e.g., 2012). And as a guy who's seen franchises like WSH, PIT, COL, TB etc go through something like this and come out potentially dynasty-level at the other end, I will continue to be optimistic as long as our top end prospects like Dylan Guenther continue to have amazing twitter highlights.

And by the way, imo Dylan Guenther is currently our only top end prospect, I'm not hoping Hayton becomes worthy of his top 5 pick (but if he does that would be great). I'm hoping / looking forward to the unknown draft picks in next year's draft ending up as good as STL's early picks during the years of Bill Armstrong. Because we have Bill Armstrong on our team now.

Ok I'm done good night =p

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
hello guys, just checked boxscores and it seems galchenyuk just played his second game of the season, 19 minutes on ice, 3 SOG. any thoughts on him? was dangerous out there? or rusty as expected?

UK Yote

Jun 28, 2018
hello guys, just checked boxscores and it seems galchenyuk just played his second game of the season, 19 minutes on ice, 3 SOG. any thoughts on him? was dangerous out there? or rusty as expected?
He was as dangerous as anyone else........and believe me that's not much!!

Reactions: aonb

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Why not? The weather along with team stability and a solid playoff roster won't be enough to help convince some free agents to come here?

Why wouldn't we be as attractive to a free agent as just about any other team once we have earned some respect?

Edit: It sounds like you believe that no one will ever want to come here and there's nothing that can be done about it.
Very good UFAs will come if we pay them period. Have we ever had one? Ribs is likely the best at the time. Even after this year, the story will be "look at our great future". We have an advantage because of the weather and lifestyle versus a Canadian city.

The middle of the road UFAs will sign here if we make them the best offer. The NHL salary structure under pays ELC/RFA players and over pays UFAs. This is the only time the player has leverage. I also think going after high end expensive UFAs is usually a mistake and we should not do it unless its Austin Mathews. OEL is a great example, a 1D, but not a top 5 1D, we over paid and got burned.

The mistakes in UFA land aren't the cheap contracts of fill in vets or the top 5 guys at their position. The mistakes are the good but not great players like OEL/Ribs/ many others that fit that criteria. We need to stay away from that.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Very good UFAs will come if we pay them period. Have we ever had one? Ribs is likely the best at the time. Even after this year, the story will be "look at our great future". We have an advantage because of the weather and lifestyle versus a Canadian city.

The middle of the road UFAs will sign here if we make them the best offer. The NHL salary structure under pays ELC/RFA players and over pays UFAs. This is the only time the player has leverage. I also think going after high end expensive UFAs is usually a mistake and we should not do it unless its Austin Mathews. OEL is a great example, a 1D, but not a top 5 1D, we over paid and got burned.

The mistakes in UFA land aren't the cheap contracts of fill in vets or the top 5 guys at their position. The mistakes are the good but not great players like OEL/Ribs/ many others that fit that criteria. We need to stay away from that.
I don't think any GOOD UFA will come here next year, even if we give them more money, as they will have many options. The Coyote's can say what ever they want about their future, but I think many agents will tell their players to stay clear of Arizona until they prove they are on the right track.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad